• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Universal Remote

Great thread guys! I too am looking into a universal for five devices: Vizio TV, Xbox 360 (cds and dvds), PS3 (Blue ray), Amazon Fire TV, Marantz SR6008.
Questions...When I listen streaming music I usually change some of the Marantz set-up setting- more subwoofer ; can I program it to change those types of setting when creating a "Listen to Music" activity?
Also, I'm assuming I can assign a button to be able to change the DSPs on the Marantz?

Thanks all!

The Harmony HUB and their higher end remotes do allow you to add extra functions when switching iputs. It gets tricky though because you have to realize that settings like bass adjustments are relative to what the setting is when you trigger they adjustment routine.

Say my bass level is 0 at the moment and I’m in the “watch a movie” activity. I can set the macro for “listen to music” to open bass management setting on the AVR and add 3db as well as make the input changes. But what happens when you want to switch to another activity? By default you’ll just switch inputs but now your sub is too hot. You could set the “watch a movie” macro to again open the ARV settings and reduce the bass by 3db but ... what if your not starting from “listen to music” ? you’ll end up with your sub at -3db.

The Harmony HUB and their higher end remotes do allow you to add extra functions when switching iputs. It gets tricky though because you have to realize that settings like bass adjustments are relative to what the setting is when you trigger they adjustment routine.

Say my bass level is 0 at the moment and I’m in the “watch a movie” activity. I can set the macro for “listen to music” to open bass management setting on the AVR and add 3db as well as make the input changes. But what happens when you want to switch to another activity? By default you’ll just switch inputs but now your sub is too hot. You could set the “watch a movie” macro to again open the ARV settings and reduce the bass by 3db but ... what if your not starting from “listen to music” ? you’ll end up with your sub at -3db.

Wait, you boost the sub for music and cut it for movies? That doesn't see right, man.

I was gonna say you could always add a Velodyne Sms-1 into your system, which is great for tweaking the bass, but also has presets with programmable levels, but those things are going for an insane amount of money. They are $500 on the Outlaw website, and there was one that showed up on ebay for better than $800. I don't remember what I paid for mine, but I know it wasn't anywhere near those amounts.

Depending on the receiver, there may be an option to assign a button to increase or decrease the bass level, although with the harmony remotes, it's pretty easy to go to the device menu and make the changes you are looking for.

Wait, you boost the sub for music and cut it for movies? That doesn't see right, man.

I don't.

I was using Nufan's example ...

When I listen streaming music I usually change some of the Marantz set-up setting- more subwoofer ; can I program it to change those types of setting when creating a "Listen to Music" activity?

Try this again...

Try this again...

Yeah, the wife likes to put on hip-hop from Pandora sometimes and so I'll turn up the sub through the Marantz from like -4 to -1 or 0

I finally ran the optical cable to my receiver so I can now use the TVs built in apps. I'm very pleased with the picture and audio quality. But the biggest bonus of all is I'm now down to one remote for 80% of all usage.
Turns out my TVs remote is a fairly nice basic universal remote. 3 months later and I still haven't viewed my TV manual. I asked the salesman when I bought the TV and he said it wasn't a universal. Shocking I know right.

Still it's my fault for not looking at the TV manual.

Dang it. My harmony 650 seems to have died... none of the buttons respond at all, even after rebooting and re-flashing the remote from the harmony software. Guess it's time to spend that big money - $27 - on a new one from eBay, damn how modern life is expensive.

Is the one on Ebay used? I think they only go for $40 on Amazon new. Just checked, a couple popped up at $34.

I need to get a new one. My Harmony One (flipper ) crapped out.

I really miss Flipper too. Using 3 remotes suck!

Back