1. Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
    Dismiss Notice

2018 TCL 6 Series

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AndySTL, May 6, 2018.

1. AndySTL

AndySTL Well-Known Member

Has anyone here seen the new TCL 6 series in person? I am about to pull the trigger on a new 55" display for my home office. This is where I have my PS4 and Xbox One. This tv is only $599 but gets pretty great reviews. There are 2 things that give me pause on this purchase.

1. It's only a 60Hz panel
    2. I've read people saying that 1080p content does not look great on this set. Not sure if these comments are founded or not but it concerns me.

I plan on getting in to Best Buy some time this week to have a look. Also on the list is the Vizio M series. Any other sets that should be on my short list? I want 4k HRD 55" under $800.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...d-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548

[​IMG]

2. Towen7

Towen7 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I have a 55” TCL P6 series in my home office. IMHO it’s ridiculously good for a $599 set.

That said the biggest flaw is that the picture can get a little washed out if viewing from off axis.

3. AndySTL

What say you on the quality of 1080p content? Have you done any gaming on it?

As for the axis issue, I have an articulating wall mount so it's easy for me to stay on axis. There are only two sitting positions in the room anyhow so I just adjust it whether I am sitting at my desk or in my club chair.

4. Towen7

Towen7 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

IMHO the 1080p content is really good after following some basic calibration advice from the internet.
    I don’t use it for gaming but I’m pretty sure it has a low latency mode specifically for gaming.

5. AndySTL

Ok thanks for the input. I'm leaning heavily toward this new model. Will see it in person this week.

6. AndySTL

Went to Best Buy tonight all set to bring this tv home and then plans changed. First of all they didn't have the 2018 unit on display, so I spent time looking at the last one. Pic quality was great as expected. However, they had an open box 65" Sony XBR65X900E. It was missing the stand and priced at $746.99. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. I have 30 days to decide if I like it. Standard warranty applies and my credit card gives me another year of coverage on TVs....so hopefully this works out well. It's bigger than I had planned so hopefully I don't regret that.

Randy, bmwuk, heeman and 1 other person like this.
  7. Zing

Zing Retired Admin Famous

I think you made out well.

8. Dentman

Dentman Well-Known Member

Congrats.

9. Haywood

Haywood Well-Known Member Famous

That is a very nice set. I highly doubt you will be disappointed and it will definitely smoke the TCL. Congrats, and you suck.

10. bmwuk

bmwuk Well-Known Member

I use the Sanus wall mount for my 75" Sony and it works great. Normally $130 but I got it on sale for around $60 or $70 during Christmas

11. Flint

Flint "Do you know who I am?" Superstar

Pictures or you are lying.

Randy and bmwuk like this.
  12. heeman

heeman Well-Known Member Famous

Yes a big YOU SUCK!!!

Randy likes this.