• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Another Blow to Netflix

mzpro5

Famous
Starz Won't Renew Netflix Deal

Well this sucks. A lot of content will be loss in March'12 when this takes effect. Will it even be worth $8/month to have NF?

I guess the debacle in the music industry taught no one anything.

Shoot yourself in the foot due to greed, yeah that works.

That article seems to say that the upcoming price increase in netflix is because of streaming getting more expensive. Ok, so why the fuck are they raising the disc rental prices instead?! That's aggravating.

PaulyT said:
That article seems to say that the upcoming price increase in netflix is because of streaming getting more expensive. Ok, so why the fuck are they raising the disc rental prices instead?! That's aggravating.

Technically they didn't raise the disc prices they just stop "bundling" the two services charging separately for each - that's the company line any way.

I have started renting from a newer rental franchise "Family Video"

Family Video Growing from their site:

We are the largest privately owned movie and game rentailer in the United States. We operate more than 735 Family Video stores in 19 states and we are opening more all the time. Our unique property-ownership model makes us a different sort of retailer because we buy and develop most of our buildings and land. We have developed more than 600 retail strip centers and count Fortune 500 companies as well as Mom and Pop retailers amongst our tenants.

Check and see if there is one in your area. Very good prices and some nice deals om five night rentals.

mzpro5 said:
PaulyT said:

Technically they didn't raise the disc prices they just stop "bundling" the two services charging separately for each - that's the company line any way.

Ah. I suppose... well, to me netflix is more valuable as a disc rental service than streaming, but I guess these days now that streaming is "mainstream" I'm in the minority. As I've said before, like preferring CD over MP3. Guess those of us that still want quality over convenience are gonna have to pay for it more and more.

Oh well. I've dropped down to NF streaming + 1 disc (instead of 2). I'll start looking around for other local rental places which I haven't used in ages; I think there's a red box nearby, though the blockbuster closed. I definitely do NOT want to go back to the days of having to remember when the rental is due back; that was one of THE major reasons I went to NF in the first place years ago!

PaulyT said:
Ah. I suppose... well, to me netflix is more valuable as a disc rental service than streaming, but I guess these days now that streaming is "mainstream" I'm in the minority. As I've said before, like preferring CD over MP3. Guess those of us that still want quality over convenience are gonna have to pay for it more and more.

Oh I totally agree - on newer movies I really want to see BD is the way to go. That's why I go to the new rental place in town.

But for a lot of older movies and TV shows streaming is a good alternative IF you have a decent interwebs connection.

I love the Netflix model but it just isn't sustainable. There is a real and significant cost to develop and deliver television content. The content providers make the vast majority of their money by selling their service to TV companies. They can't risk damaging their relationships with those providers. Each content provider would be better-off following the model that HBO/Showtime is using. Subscribe to get the content through normal means and deploy a free app to allow access to those customers on mobile devices.

i just think its a bit expensive to rent movies via streaming, PPV style. you might as well order it via your cable service...

anyways, ive also wondered about redbox, and never got the chance to use it simply because
1. i cant drive to one
2. dollar per day? three days and i couldve purchased it via amazon, psn, hulu etc...

i think ive seen two or there from starz. i think a lot of people got more upset about them and showtime stuff... sisters a dexter fan.

I caled NF customer service just to register my concern and dissatisfaction with what seems to be shrinking streaming content.

Man do they have the company line all laid out - seems they were expecting a lot of dissatisfied people with this Starz thing.

One comment stuck with me " We here at NF aren't real concerned with the loss of Starz programming" Really??? But guess what the CUSTOMERS are concerned.

NF is going to be end up being taught in business classes as the perfect example of a company that "improved" themselves right out of business.

jomari said:
i think ive seen two or there from starz. i think a lot of people got more upset about them and showtime stuff... sisters a dexter fan.

All the Disney offerings on NF streaming are via the Starz deal and a lot of movies you don't even realize are part of the Starz deal. It's a lot more than just the Starz/Showtime series.

mzpro5 said:
jomari said:

All the Disney offerings on NF streaming are via the Starz deal and a lot of movies you don't even realize are part of the Starz deal. It's a lot more than just the Starz/Showtime series.

Then thats gonna suck. rethinking our netflix strategy.

Next thing you know, netflix would make YOU pay for postage.

was going to post another thread, but thought it would be better to keep em here...

Netflix enforces Streaming limit.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/09/07/netflix.streaming.limit.mashable/

t1larg.netflix.streaming.error.jpg

The previous posts are another reason why I'm not even going to bother renewing with NF.

Looks like used DVDs are going to be the best route.......

I knew about the streaming limit before I signed-up but NF never enforced it. I'm not surprised that they are now. The Starz deal is evidence that cable isn't going away anytime soon. They still have the power and the content providers won't risk that relationship.

For NF to remain viable the general customer is going to have to accept that NF is for last season's TV shows and movies that are a year or so old.

Towen7 said:
For NF to remain viable the general customer is going to have to accept that NF is for last season's TV shows and movies that are a year or so old.

couldnt have said it better towen. :text-+1:

I think its the timing, considering how people arent happy with a number of their decisions (and then theres those who are satisfied no matter what), its a difficult pill to swallow.

Will we miss out on being able to stream on one device, and not on the other? my household has 3 blu-ray players that stream, and well, most of the times there'd be at least TWO of em streaming almost at the same time. one in my bedroom, and another in my sisters.

Its difficult to say, but im sure there are going to be a number of upset clientele.

I also have called NF. The last guy hung-up on me. He stated that we'll never see a Walt Dis, Avata, etc....streamed.
I don't have pay-per-view (don't have cable, or DSS,etc)...meaning I don't pay anyone to get programming. I only have OTA. This streaming is wonderful for us. But something is going to have to change. I have the 2 disc with Netflex (along with streaming).
They need some major competition. I will not pay for each stream.

I've not checked to see if they changed the policy but it used to say that you could stream to as many devices as you had dvd's. If you had the 2 disc plan than you could stream to 2 devices at the same time, if you had a 6 disc plan than you could stream to 6 devices at the same time...

Towen7 said:
I've not checked to see if they changed the policy but it used to say that you could stream to as many devices as you had dvd's. If you had the 2 disc plan than you could stream to 2 devices at the same time, if you had a 6 disc plan than you could stream to 6 devices at the same time...

That's new news to me. Even though I only had the PS3 at the time, I was under the impression you could stream to as many devices (or at least up to 5 devices) as you could under one account. The only thing I worried about was, more streaming devices meant a greater chance of going over your bandwidth limit and getting throttled by your IP provider.

I find it difficult to find any movies worth steaming from Netflix.

Rope

Back