• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Anthony Bourdain

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
Suicide.............dead at 61.

I know that there are a lot of haters here, however I loved his shows.

When I heard this, this AM, my heart sunk.

RIP Anthony!!

Entertaining. Informative. Real. Inspirational. Honest. Insightful.

This leaves a hole that can never be filled.

Suicide.............dead at 61.

I know that there are a lot of haters here, however I loved his shows.

When I heard this, this AM, my heart sunk.

RIP Anthony!!
I don't let my politics dictate who I like, I'm not that stupid. I very much liked Anthony Bourdain. His shows were great.
Passing judgement on someone who's life or shoes you never walked in is most times a foolish thing. Still I have strong negative feelings towards people who selfishly take their own lives and inflict great pain on their loved ones.

I'm trying not to judge but it's tough.

Anthony Bourdain, you'll be missed.

Passing judgement on someone who's life or shoes you never walked in is most times a foolish thing. Still I have strong negative feelings towards people who selfishly take their own lives and inflict great pain on their loved ones.

THIS. My best friend killed himself right after high school. It left a ring of misery and devastation that touched a lot of people. Suicide makes the grieving process so much worse. It tears loved ones up in a way that a death from accidental or natural causes does not. It took me a long time to move past it and it still makes me tear up when I think about it almost 30 years later. Suicide is not a victimless crime, but an act of violence against everyone you know and love.

Last edited:
Wife is the one who watches all of the cooking shows. I tried watching that Beat Bobby Flay show one time, but I got pissed when I realized they weren't actually going to beat Bobby Flay.

I'll check him out if for nothing more that he seemed to have an impact on a lot of people in a positive way.

THIS. My best friend killed himself right after high school. It left a ring of misery and devastation that touched a lot of people. Suicide is makes the grieving process so much worse. It tears loved ones up in a way that a death from accidental or natural causes does not. It took me a long time to move past it and it still makes me tear up when I think about it almost 30 years later. Suicide is not a victimless crime, but an act of violence against everyone you know and love.
Well said Scott, and sorry for the loss of your friend. I read something once that said suicide doesn't take the pain away, it only transfers it someone else.

THIS. My best friend killed himself right after high school. It left a ring of misery and devastation that touched a lot of people. Suicide makes the grieving process so much worse. It tears loved ones up in a way that a death from accidental or natural causes does not. It took me a long time to move past it and it still makes me tear up when I think about it almost 30 years later. Suicide is not a victimless crime, but an act of violence against everyone you know and love.

Having dealt with clinical depression for most of my life I can assure you that suicide is not a rational act and trying to rationalize irrational motivations will get you nowhere. Much like a drug addict, they don’t “choose” to do the harmful things they do. They are compelled by chemical and/or psychological factors. I know most of you know this but It’s not as simple as the idea that they person who kills themselves being selfish.

Having dealt with clinical depression for most of my life I can assure you that suicide is not a rational act and trying to rationalize irrational motivations will get you nowhere. Much like a drug addict, they don’t “choose” to do the harmful things they do. They are compelled by chemical and/or psychological factors. I know most of you know this but It’s not as simple as the idea that they person who kills themselves being selfish.
This is why I included the remarks over judgement. So tough though. My thoughts and prayers are with his young daughter and wife. They need them.

The wife was heartbroken and I couldn't help but think of @JeffMackwood because their voices were so similar that I often said he could voice-in over Bourdain anytime.

There are three people in my household with bipolar disorder, including me. My comment was not intended to be reductionist or judgy. People who slide too far into the darkness of suicidal ideation are not even capable of thinking beyond the circle of their own pain and that makes them inherently selfish. It is impossible not to be when all you see is your own pain. Unfortunately, that does not change the fallout. It does not reduce the devastation.

Wonder if he ever tried electroshock treatment therapy, I heard in some cases it can work where drugs do not. Also it is not like in One Flew of the Cuckoo's Nest, much lower voltage and more targeted. Ok you can have some memory loss, and don't do like a friend of my father's. And not do the full 12 treatments (or whatever number it is) and just stop when you start to feel better.

Or maybe something like this, if you have tried everything else what do you have to lose.
CNN’s Lisa Ling Goes To Peru’s Amazon Where Psychedelic Ayahuasca Is Healing U.S. Soldiers Of PTSD

There are three people in my household with bipolar disorder, including me. My comment was not intended to be reductionist or judgy. People who slide too far into the darkness of suicidal ideation are not even capable of thinking beyond the circle of their own pain and that makes them inherently selfish. It is impossible not to be when all you see is your own pain. Unfortunately, that does not change the fallout. It does not reduce the devastation.

I would respectfully disagree with the idea that most people in this situation are 'selfish" In most cases they actually see themselves as being "selfless". they see little if any worth to their lives and feel they are a burden to those they love and interact with and that suicide will free these people from having to deal with their deficiencies.

I would respectfully disagree with the idea that most people in this situation are 'selfish" In most cases they actually see themselves as being "selfless". they see little if any worth to their lives and feel they are a burden to those they love and interact with and that suicide will free these people from having to deal with their deficiencies.

I don’t think that the mean “selfish” in the sense that their motivations are selfish but rather the effect is.

As someone who has lost two people to suicide who were fairly close to me, there is a level of anger towards them that you experience. It's not hate by any means, but you are angry that they didn't come to you, or angry what they are putting you or your family through. You feel helpless, maybe you even feel to blame that you could have done something to prevent it.

As someone who has lost two people to suicide who were fairly close to me, there is a level of anger towards them that you experience. It's not hate by any means, but you are angry that they didn't come to you, or angry what they are putting you or your family through. You feel helpless, maybe you even feel to blame that you could have done something to prevent it.

When I went through it, I was angry that he didn't have the decency to make it look like an accident.

Back