• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Audiophile type speakers: what is their sound?

I remember the days when studio engineers would tape a piece of facial tissue over the tweeters of certain studio monitors to mellow them a bit.

I always thought that little 'pantyhose' thing they put in front of the mic was to reduce sibilance due to the closeness of the mic. Is it just a spit guard?

I always thought that little 'pantyhose' thing they put in front of the mic was to reduce sibilance due to the closeness of the mic. Is it just a spit guard?
I believe it also reduced pops from Ps and Bs but, yeah, few people like saliva splatter on their $15,000 mics.

They call those physical meshes in front of mics pop filters to reduce the impact of hard consonants like P, T, J, B, and others - every singer is different.

The infamous Yamaha NS10 small studio monitor became a legend when engineers realized just about anything they mixed on them tended to sound really good in real life on normal car and hifi speakers. They were far from accurate, but if the engineer did whatever was needed to make music sound good on them, the results were great. Lots of pop rock music from late 80s and early 90s got the general sound from mixing on those speakers. They have a harsh treble, so it was common for engineers to tape facial tissue or toilet paper over the front of the tweeter which mellowed the tone just enough.

Plenty of plastic in my JBL LSR308's which are my surrounds, for the 4367's. They do have a similar soundstage, bass ummm not so much. But they are only $400 for the pair.

From a speaker shootout at the AVS Forum, this past August. The Revel's won, I have never heard the M2's but I prefer the 4367 to the Revels and I did hear them side by side.
4367 has better imaging and better dynamics, IMHO.

attachment.php

And:

"From the six participants who did check boxes to indicate preference:

Bird on a Wire - Jennifer Warnes: M2 three checks out of six, Salon2 three (50/50 split)
Battlestar Galactica - Stu Phillips: M2 two checks out of six, Salon2 four
World in My Eyes - Depeche Mode: M2 one check out of six, Salon2 five
The Enterprise - Jerry Goldsmith: M2 two checks out of six, Salon2 four
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade: M2 three checks out of six, Salon2 three (50/50 split)
Parade of the Wooden Soldiers - Dallas Wind Symphony: M2 - three checks out of six, four checks out of six (one participant checked both; a tie)
Vocalise - Rachmaninoff (Mischa Maisky) Cello, Piano: M2 two checks out of six, Salon2 four
Someone Like You - Adele: M2 five checks out of six, Salon2 one
Spanish Harlem - Rebecca Pidgeon: M2 three checks out of six, Salon2 three (50/50 split)
Take Five - Dave Brubeck: M2 three checks out of six, Salon2 three (50/50 split)
Thriller - Michael Jackson: M2 two checks out of six, Salon2 four
I Will Remember - Toto: M2 three checks out of six, Salon2 three (50/50 split)
Fat Cry - Yello: M2 three checks out of six, Salon2 three (50/50 split)

TOTAL CHECKS FOR THE M2: 35
TOTAL CHECKS FOR THE SALON2: 44
"

Back