• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

BLUES Music

Zing, yesterday I ordered Eric Lindell's "Change in the Weather"
Srvy, I also ordered Little Hatch's "Rock With Me Baby"

From your posts, and what I've read, I expect I'll like and enjoy both.

Always like adding new stuff to my blues stash . . .

:arrow:

topper said:
Zing, yesterday I ordered Eric Lindell's "Change in the Weather"
Srvy, I also ordered Little Hatch's "Rock With Me Baby"

From your posts, and what I've read, I expect I'll like and enjoy both.

Always like adding new stuff to my blues stash . . .

:arrow:
Hey let me know how Lil Hatch CD is i did not know he had one out maybe ill pick it up. Ive seen him live many times and really enjoyed his style met him to was a really fine gentleman.

Srvy wrote:
"Hey let me know how Lil Hatch CD is i did not know he had one out maybe ill pick it up. Ive seen him live many times and really enjoyed his style met him to was a really fine gentleman."

Will do, Srvy . . . .

Amazon has three cds by him to choose from. (and some vinyl)
One of them is a live recording. I went with "Rock With Me Baby"
I love blues harp, and am confident I'll enjoy Lil Hatch.

I remember your mentioning the blues club right across the street where you lived.

51qJyZgdVUL._SS500_.jpg

Recorded March 27, 1999 @ Blue Heaven Studios in Salina, Kansas

Some dobro with acoustic & slide guitar accomany Hatch on harmonica.

:handgestures-thumbup: ... thanks for the introduction, Srvy

(good stuff)

Srvy said:
Glad you enjoy. How is the recording? Maybe ill pick this up.

I'd rate the recording very good, but not exceptional.

His other available cd is recorded live ... ~ rel. date - 2006

I'm thinking of picking it up too.

Zing said:
Have you given Eric's CD a spin yet? If so...your thoughts?

Oh yeah. And I really like it! . :happy-smileygiantred:

It's different from my usual diet of blues, in that I normally don't care for horns in blues music I buy.

But I think Lindell's music stretches beyond the 'normal' definition (boundaries) of blues. I'm sure a lot on non-blues listeners would really enjoy it too.

On about the third time I gave it a listen I thought to myself, "Yeah, this stuff is cool!"

"Change in the Weather" by Eric LIndell

:handgestures-thumbup:

I'll agree that it's kind of a stretch to call it 'Blues' so perhaps bluesy is the better adjective. And though I like Johnny Lang's music much more, I find Eric to be eerily similar to Johnny.

51EqCUE-w8L._SS500_.jpg

(released March 2011)

Editorial Reviews ~
Product Description
~
Rory Block is THE most acclaimed female acoustic blues artist. Her tribute album to Mississippi Fred McDowell is part of a series celebrating the music of her mentors. Her second for Stony Plain, Shake 'Em On Down includes covers of a few of Fred's best known songs, a few obscurities and four originals written by Rory. Shake 'Em On Down is released in conjunction with her autobiography, When A Woman Gets The Blues.
This is the best cd of Rory's four I have . . . .
Some excellent acoustic guitar work .

She's good . . . .

Henrik-Freischlader-Band-Live-Front-Cover-36475.jpg

German band, hadn't heard of them but got a copy of this 3-cd set from a fellow JB fan. It's good stuff! Pretty bluesy, a little SRV in the lead guitar, but a bit more "funk" in the style. (And the lyrics are English even if the spoken comments etc. are German.) Good voice, great drums; and the bassist is particularly good, too, IMHO.

PaulyT said:
Henrik-Freischlader-Band-Live-Front-Cover-36475.jpg

German band, hadn't heard of them but got a copy of this 3-cd set from a fellow JB fan. It's good stuff! Pretty bluesy, a little SRV in the lead guitar, but a bit more "funk" in the style. (And the lyrics are English even if the spoken comments etc. are German.) Good voice, great drums; and the bassist is particularly good, too, IMHO.
I have his cd "the blues" good stuff

Paul - remember the conversation we were having at Batman's place when I was talking about the beat "being right in the pocket"? "Keep Playin'" on disc 1 is another example. The snare drum comes in right at the last possible nanosecond before being out of time.

Ok, thanks Zing, I'll give that another close listen.

topper said:

Got this one in the mail yesterday, listening to it now. I REALLY like it! Great guitar work, nice voice, good beats, and even interesting liner notes. I'm very pleased with this one, thanks topper!

Whoops, I meant to post this in this thread, not in the "listening to" thread... oh well, sorry for the repeat.

This is also a great album of Rory's. And the song "Mother Marian" - WOW! I haven't been hit that hard emotionally by a song for quite some time. Not sure what it is about it exactly, not just the lyrics, not just the music, but somehow both and Rory's performance of it, just nails me.

41HTZHDG0FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(rel. 2001)

Track Listing ~
1. Frankie & Albert - Chirs Smither
2. Avalon, My Home Town - Bruce Cockburn
3. Angels Laid Him Away - Lucinda Williams
4. Here Am I, Oh Lord, Send Me - Alvin Youngblood Hart
5. Candy Man - Steve & Justin Earle
6. Monday Morning Blues - Peter Case & Dave Alvin
7. Sliding Delta - Ben Harper
8. Chicken - Geoff Muldaur (with Jenni & Claire Muldaur)
9. Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor - Mark Selby
10. Stagolee - Beck
11. Since I've Laid My Burden Down - Victoria Williams
12. Pay Day - Bill Morrissey
13. My Creole Belle - Taj Mahal
14. Beulah Land - Gillian Welch
15. I'm Satisfied - John Hiatt

For those familiar with Mississippi John Hurt and his music, this is a great Tribute CD.

A mellow, toe-tappin', acoustic country blues collection of some of John's songs.

If you listen to this kind of stuff this is a sure . . . :handgestures-thumbup:

41X3RXaVscL._SS500_.jpg

(1996 by EMI Records)

"Best Of HookerNHeat"

by John Lee and Canned Heat

Songs ~
1. You Talk Too Much
2. Burning Hell
3. Bottle Up And Go
4. The World Today
5. I Got My Eyes On You
6. Whiskey And Wimmen'
7. Just You And Me
8. Let's Make It
9. Peavine
10. Boogie Chillen No. 2

`
I'm sure some are wondering, "Canned who?" ~~ :happy-smileygiantred:

Only ten tracks on this cd, but it flat out boogies!

(there's a 2 cd set of these cats gettin' together, but I've not heard it)

Back