• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

BLUES Music

Cool. How is it?

Guess this could legitimately go in either the Blues or Rock threads... but I'm beginning my Buddy Guy education/exploration. I already have this one (below; listening to it right now), and a few more on order.

516Wz0bOU8L._SS500_.jpg

PaulyT said:
619xIxK%2Bh1L._SS400_.jpg

Just finished listening to this one, and it's great! Terrific music. Good surround mix. Great bass line - that 6-string on the first couple of tracks would make for some excellent demo material.

And Zing, it's got Jon Cleary on piano! I didn't even realize that when I ordered this.

I've discovered that the deep deep bass - from the 6-string - on the first two tracks is more prominent on the 5.1 mix than on the 2-channel mix (either the high-res version on the SACD or the regular CD version). And while I haven't done a scientific study, I don't think it's just because of relative volume levels. So if you're looking for some good bass demo material, definitely go for the SACD! The more I listen to it, the more I like the multichannel mix on this one, because the separation of the instruments/vocals is really good, without being blatantly "surroundy" - e.g. without having all a given instrument in rear channels only.

PaulyT said:
Cool. How is it?

Guess this could legitimately go in either the Blues or Rock threads... but I'm beginning my Buddy Guy education/exploration. I already have this one (below; listening to it right now), and a few more on order.

516Wz0bOU8L._SS500_.jpg
if you want to learn a lot about buddy guy and also hear some great live footage get this dvd=buddy guy live the real deal. in interviews it goes all the way back to learning to play guitar with a chicken fence wire strecthed over a board to playing and discussions with muddy waters thru current times.

Attachments

• DSC01286.JPG
    DSC01286.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 809
Wow, he looks like Vincent Price. ;) Haven't heard of him, will check it out.

PaulyT said:
Wow, he looks like Vincent Price. ;) Haven't heard of him, will check it out.

Charlie Musselwhite (born January 31, 1944 in Kosciusko, Mississippi) is an American blues-harp player and bandleader, one of the non-black bluesmen who came to prominence in the early 1960s, along with Mike Bloomfield and Paul Butterfield. Though he has often been identified as a "white bluesman",[1][2] he claims Native American heritage. Musselwhite was reportedly the inspiration for Dan Aykroyd's Blues Brothers

Background information
Birth name Charles Douglas Musselwhite
Also known as Memphis Charlie
Born January 31, 1944 (1944-01-31) (age 66)
Origin Kosciusko, Mississippi
Genres Blues
Occupations Musician, Singer, Songwriter
Instruments Harmonica, Guitar, Vocals
Years active 1967–present
Labels Vanguard, Arhoolie, Capitol, Crystal Clear, Kicking Mule, Blue Rock'It, Alligator, Virgin, Real World, Narada
Website http://www.charliemusselwhite.com

In my opinion, 'The Well' would be good cd to introduce yourself to Mr. Musselwhite.

.. .. :text-nocomment: ..

Good, 'cause I already ordered it. ;) That and his very first album - Stand Back! Here Comes Charley Musselwhite's South Side Band.

I've also found that Wikipedia is in general a good place to go to look up stuff on musicians of all sorts. It's usually the first place I go when I haven't heard of someone or want to dig deeper.

:text-link:

FYI, Musselwhite plays on a few tracks in Lauper's Memphis Blues - did you ever get that one?

PaulyT said:
FYI, Musselwhite plays on a few tracks in Lauper's Memphis Blues - did you ever get that one?

ref. Memphis Blues' by Cyndi . . .

Still sittin' on the middle of the fence on tiat one.
. . . but am leaning a little closer to buying it.

(as you mentioned earlier, 'used' from Amazon would be pocket change.
I'll probably go that route soon. (and may get something I really like)

.. .. :music-listening: .. ..

PaulyT said:

Spinning up this one now...

First impressions: very spare, very intimate - just the two guys singing, with unamplified guitar and harmonica. Interesting change from the more usual full band blues.

PaulyT said:
PaulyT said:

First impressions: very spare, very intimate - just the two guys singing, with unamplified guitar and harmonica. Interesting change from the more usual full band blues."

Good to go there, though.

Makes a person appreciate the full spectrum of the blues.

topper said:
PaulyT said:
PaulyT said:

First impressions: very spare, very intimate - just the two guys singing, with unamplified guitar and harmonica. Interesting change from the more usual full band blues."
...........and thats an awesome album cover

Good to go there, though.

Makes a person appreciate the full spectrum of the blues.

This is a great disc, music-wise and it's also a great SACD, surround-wise. Thanks for the tip.

JuniorWells-ComeOnInThisHouse-front.jpg

Ah yes, I was just wondering if you'd gotten around to that one. I love the "sold my monkey" song, that's just hilarious.

Zing said:
This is a great disc, music-wise and it's also a great SACD, surround-wise.
Thanks for the tip.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bhs9798_mOc/SZB1Lg9SwHI/AAAAAAAAAhM/JU_dfvyZr80/s320/
JuniorWells-ComeOnInThisHouse-front.jpg
Everyone I've seen who's bought 'Come On In This House' by
suggestion, including me, ....
has said exacly the same. . . . "great cd!"

Zing said:

Ok Zing, finally got to sit and listen to the whole thing, this is a very good album! I really love "Blues with a Feeling" in particular. Great SACD, generally mild use of surround except for the toms in the drums - sparingly used - coming from behind, kind of a nice effect. Though the later tracks with a different/larger ensemble uses more "obvious" surround. My only quibble is that the vocals seem a bit recessed/muffled (in the 5.1 mix anyway, haven't listened to stereo), such that I have a hard time understanding what either one is singing - though that could partly just be their style, father and son... Anyway, definitely recommended!

51HEik557pL._SS500_.jpg

(rel. 2000)

"A decade after his tragic, untimely demise, electric-blues legend Stevie Ray Vaughan has left behind a void that remains largely unfilled, despite a number of ballyhooed young pretenders. The guitarist's career was long troubled by personal demons, and this album chronicles those deceptively languorous, slow blues jams where Vaughan did battle with them. The howling, fervent tone he coaxed from his instrument was a product of lessons learned only in the School of Hard Knocks, accompanied by a voice--perhaps the most underrated of Vaughan's talents--that perfectly underscored his tortured gospel. But those who stereotyped Vaughan as a paint-by-numbers bluesman misunderstood the breadth of his lexicon; listen to "Chitlins con Carne" (from the guitarist's posthumous The Sky Is Crying album) here and you'll hear tinges of Wes Montgomery and other jazz inflections. Especially notable are three previously unreleased cuts: a live version of "Texas Flood," a 1985 Montreux Jazz Festival duet-jam of "Tin Pan Alley" with the late Johnny Copeland, and an '84 outtake of Elmore James's "The Sky Is Crying"--plus a 15-minute TV-taping workout with Albert King on the elder legend's "Blues at Sunrise." Raw, passionate, and uncompromising, this is SRV at his gut-wrenching best." ~ Jerry McCulley

For those that enjoy Stevie Ray, this a nice one to have in your collection.

** A day without music is a day wasted **

Back