• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Burn in on Panasonic plasma

Mannix2106

So I bought a 50" Panny plasma I think about 4-5 months ago. I have really enjoyed the TV especially for a somewhat limited budget TV. About a week or two ago I noticed that I have burn in and my heart was crushed. I enjoy USA Network and when there is a white/light color background you can see the "USA" on the screen. I doubt there is really anything I could do so I just wanted to vent to people who would know how much this kills me.

The model number is in my sig. This just sucks because this was a big purchase for me and I love the set but it just sucks knowing that the "USA" logo will be stuck burnt in for the life of the TV more than likely.

I have 2 46" panny 1080p plasmas and I play my xbox on one of them A LOT. I have not noticed burn in on either set.

D

Mannix2106 said:
So I bought a 50" Panny plasma I think about 4-5 months ago. I have really enjoyed the TV especially for a somewhat limited budget TV. About a week or two ago I noticed that I have burn in and my heart was crushed. I enjoy USA Network and when there is a white/light color background you can see the "USA" on the screen. I doubt there is really anything I could do so I just wanted to vent to people who would know how much this kills me.

The model number is in my sig. This just sucks because this was a big purchase for me and I love the set but it just sucks knowing that the "USA" logo will be stuck burnt in for the life of the TV more than likely.

Have you tried the white wash procedure?

Try running a non-logo channel over night. I doubt that you have true burn in but more of an image retention situation.

Also check your TV settings menu. It should have a function that will help get rid of temporary image retention which is what I think you are experiencing.

I've heard the white wash affects the PQ (color reproduction/accuracy) afterwards. I could be wrong though.

I've watched non logo stations before but not for the extent of a whole night. I don't want it to get worse so I haven't been watching USA Network shows, which is a bummer because that is primarily the only station I enjoy watching.

I will find a non logo station (any suggestions...?) and leave it on there for an extended period of time and see if that helps. My previous plasma I played video games and watched whatever stations I wanted to and never had anything like this. There were times I had image retention but it went away after a while, this hasn't.

The only nice thing about it is I don't notice it most of the time. Just when the bright scenes come on it's noticeable to me, which is more time than I want to notice it.

mzpro5 said:
Try running a non-logo channel over night. I doubt that you have true burn in but more of an image retention situation.

Also check your TV settings menu. It should have a function that will help get rid of temporary image retention which is what I think you are experiencing.

:text-+1: on this. My Panasonic plasma is from 2006 and I don't have any burn-in issues, but I will occasionally get retention. It goes away over time. Don't sweat it too much.

I understand that it will go away over time if it's retention but it's been probably a week or two and it's still there. I've been limiting my USA Network watching but it hasn't helped.

How long has the logo been noticeable? I had a real scare on my 42" panny a few years back and it took about 36-48 hours to go away completely. Image retention is fairly common on my set but never anything permanent, and it has no features to counter the affects like yours may. I'd avoid the USA network and utilize the sets built in features to combat the retention/burn-in and bump your picture settings if necessary after....

I would run the white wash procedure...it should not affect your picture quality.

Also, does your set have an "orbital" mode? if so, use it. It moves the picture slightly (you cannot see it) and should help prevent image retention.

Batman said:
How long has the logo been noticeable? I had a real scare on my 42" panny a few years back and it took about 36-48 hours to go away completely. Image retention is fairly common on my set but never anything permanent, and it has no features to counter the affects like yours may. I'd avoid the USA network and utilize the sets built in features to combat the retention/burn-in and bump your picture settings if necessary after....

Logo has been noticeable for about a week now. I haven't been watching much TV this week due to a busy schedule but I think I've watched enough that it should have gone away.

I have "calibrated" my TV. The contrast and brightness is turned down so it isn't close to "torch" mode. It's just an eyeball calibration as I've been waiting until I have a good amount of time on the TV to actually get it calibrated professionally.

I checked my TV for the anti-image retention and it was already on so I'm guessing it's been on since I bought the TV. I also found a setting that turns the set black and runs a white bar across the screen. I may give that a try. It suggests doing that for 15 minutes. Currently, I'm just watching stations that don't have logos or the logos are transparent.

Now my TV is making a really loud buzzing noise when I first turn it on. Once it gets warmed up the buzzing isn't as noticeable, I knew I was going to get buzzing with a plasma. The initial buzzing is so noticeable I can hear it over the audio. This is depressing lol

Sucks, man. Any chance it's still under warranty?

Mannix I hate it for you dude. But for the sake of others here I have to wonder if it is the brand? I run pandora with a static image on my LG all the time and I have image retention but it usually fades in about 10 minutes depending in the severity. No buzzing either.

Sorry man. :(

You must watch a hellacious amount of logo tv.

PaulyT said:
Sucks, man. Any chance it's still under warranty?

Yes it's still under warranty. I didn't think any of my problems would be covered...?

And ya I mostly watch USA Network. NCIS usually has marathons after I get home plus all their series they have make for entertaining nights. I noticed a little "ESPN" burn in/image retention right underneath USA last night. Sucks because today and tomorrow are football days and the TV is usually stuck on a channel or two for an extended period of time, including ESPN.

Just curious. I know I've read plasma TVs typically have buzzing noises. I'm not sure how much of an issue this should be with the new sets, such as mine. But my TV has a constant buzzing noise that I can easily hear over my audio even when listening at higher than normal audio levels. Is this normal? If not should I call Panasonic and see what they can do?

Is the buzzing on particular stations, or constant regardless of source? What's the altitude where you reside?

Rope

Rope said:
Is the buzzing on particular stations, or constant regardless of source? What's the altitude where you reside?

Rope

The buzzing is constant, regardless the source. It does it with satelite, Xbox and PS3. The buzzing becomes more noticeable when the scenes are brighter. Darker scenes still have a noticeable buzzing but the brighter scenes are very loud.

I live in Lincoln, NE and unsure of the altitude.

One thing to note also is this just started about a week or two ago. It didn't do it when I first bought it. This noise is very noticeable. Enough that I'm disappointed in the TV and if I could sell it I would.

Mannix2106 said:
Just curious. I know I've read plasma TVs typically have buzzing noises. I'm not sure how much of an issue this should be with the new sets, such as mine. But my TV has a constant buzzing noise that I can easily hear over my audio even when listening at higher than normal audio levels. Is this normal? If not should I call Panasonic and see what they can do?

Have you considered it to be a ground loop problem?

Back