• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

C1 Platinum

Zing said:
heeman said:
...Dynaudio sent me a loaner Center, a Focus 210C...
That speaker is no slouch and will trounce nearly every other non-floorstanding Dynaudio speaker when used as a center channel. If you don't plan to keep it (and frankly, I think you'd be foolish not to) don't even hook it up. Because whatever speaker you plan to replace it with will very likely pale by comparison.

#3 C1 is on it's way from Denmark.

PaulyT said:
What are you doing with the PSAs?

I am going to try to find a way to hang them around our garden tub in the master bath so that when I am bathing and drinking Bakers Bourbon, I can be showered with amazing sound...........

Well, not really, they will be for sale................. :handgestures-thumbup:

:laughing: I dunno, that bath thing sounds pretty cool!

I'm glad you're enjoying them Keith. Tour be honest, if I watched movies 90 percent of the time, I would choose more dynamic speakers. But what I think you'll find, is that these will sound better and better as you turn them up. Be careful with the volume. I can listen for hours and not grow tired .......something I could never do with the Klipsch's.

Everything in this thread is awesome. I know you will love them.

And how cool is it that Dynaudio is sending you a temporary center? Just think about that and let it sink in. Is Mick Tillman still running point in Chicago? I bought my Dynaudios used from a previous owner (i.e. not purchased at a Dynaudio dealer) and Mick bent over backwards to give me FREE repairs to the amp on my Sub 500. Which is customer service that is FAR FAR FAR beyond what even the best companies would do. In my book, Dynaudio is a class act from design all the way to customer experience. Kudos to them 10 fold.

^ Mick Tillman is still my go to guy there. I've never had a hint of a bad experience dealing with him. I consider him more of a friend than a business colleague. He goes out of his way for me every time.

Barney said:
I think I said a "dirty word" when we were listening to some dyno's at Deacon's a long time ago. Amazing speakers.
You SUCK big time my friend.
Yes you did drop a few dirty words. I was there. And one of them rhymed with "SUCK" :happy-smileygiantred:

jamhead said:
I'm glad you're enjoying them Keith. Tour be honest, if I watched movies 90 percent of the time, I would choose more dynamic speakers. But what I think you'll find, is that these will sound better and better as you turn them up. Be careful with the volume. I can listen for hours and not grow tired .......something I could never do with the Klipsch's.

I will argue that the confidence series are more dynamic than most speakers on the market and way more dynamic than anything less expensive aside from full horn systems. They don't have the piercing treble and booming mid-bass that many associate with the word "dynamic", but a good scientific measurement will show the Dynaudios have a more accurate dynamic peak reproduction than most other speakers.

CMonster said:
heeman said:
I have already asked for a quote........................

Barb said, "Why didn't you get the C2's if those were the ones you really wanted" I said "This all started wanting the Contours" :happy-smileygiantred:

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

The C2s don't dig as deep as one might expect so you might want to ask about the C4s as well... :eusa-whistle:
Umm...

Did I not predict this progression?

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
CMonster said:
heeman said:
I have already asked for a quote........................

Barb said, "Why didn't you get the C2's if those were the ones you really wanted" I said "This all started wanting the Contours" :happy-smileygiantred:

The C2s don't dig as deep as one might expect so you might want to ask about the C4s as well... :eusa-whistle:
Umm...

Did I not predict this progression?

Jeff

You predicted a progression; I'm suggestion going straight to the end game.

I'm glad you said that Flint.

I have been sitting here wondering why contours were being described as "less-dynamic" than other speakers.

I have had a number of speakers and find my contours to be outstandingly "dynamic", amongst other things..
:eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Nice Heeman, nice. I am jealous :D

Now does this mean that you'll sell the MB Quarts to me for cheap? :happy-smileygiantred:

^ The Vera's have been gone for quite some time............. I need to sell the (3) PSA MTM-210's :happy-smileygiantred:

jamhead said:
Prove it Flint.

Remember, I own Contours.

Okay.

Here's a cumulative spectral decay of the Klipsch Palladium P-39F tower speaker which is often considered to be one of the more dynamic speakers on the market:
609Klipfig9.jpg

Note that in our most sensitive hearing range (1,000Hz to 10,000Hz) the speaker is still making sound all the way out to at least 1.26mS, and the amplitude of the "ringing" from 1,000Hz to 3,000Hz is nearly identical to the original impulse out to 0.8mS. It takes 12 samples before the residual output is 12dB SPL lower than the initial impulse.

Here's the same measurement of a Dynaudio C1 done by the same person with the same equipment:
1107DC1fig9.jpg

In this chart you can see that the critical range between 1,000Hz and 10,000Hz has residual sound out to 1.26mS, but the initial ringing in the 1,000Hz to 3,000Hz range almost immediately starts dropping at significantly higher rate than the Klipsch. In this case it takes 6 samples before the residual noise is 12dB SPL less than the initial impulse.

Thus, I have scientifically proven the Dynaudio C1 recovers from stimulus significantly faster than the Klipsch horn loaded speaker making it more dynamic in terms of decay. I call this "downward dynamics" which refers to the silence between spikes in the content. How quickly does the listener experience silence after the click of a stick on muted triangle or a slap of a snare drum. The downward dynamics is what separates the truly outstanding speakers from the really good speakers and is hard to achieve, especially with outboard amps and passive crossovers which significantly reduce the benefits of a high damping factor on an amplifier.

Part II

Here's the impulse response of the same Klipsch Palladium P-39F speaker:
609Klipfig8.jpg

Note that the acoustic peak of the output isn't achieved until after 0.75mS after the initial motion of the output. That means that for every impact in the signal, the sounds will be smeared across nearly 1mS of time and reach your ears at different times.

Here's the exact same impulse measurement of the Dynaudio C1:
1107DC1fig8.jpg

This time you can see that from initial motion of the speakers to peak output is 0.25mS, which is 66% faster than the "dynamic" sounding Klipsch speakers. Also, the impulse is significantly cleaner with less smearing of sound across frequency arrival times and the decay is smooth and fast (which is demonstrated in the decay response charts above).

Thus: I have proven that the Dynaudio C1 has better upward dynamics in terms of linearity of impulse response.

Dynamic accuracy has three characteristics: 1) Rise time, 2) Level of peak, and 3) Decay time. I have proven that for two of those characteristics, the C1 is more dynamic than a very well respected and much larger horn loaded speaker from Klipsch.

So, why would someone think the Klipsch is more dynamic? Well, in terms of frequency range the Klipsch can put out a massive amount of bass which is out of the capability for the C1's single, small woofer. However, if we simply put a high pass filter on the Palladium speaker we could make an apples to apples comparison and I think we'd find much of the difference in terms of bass dynamics to be more similar.

The other big difference is the frequency response.

Here's the Klipsch response:
609Klipfig4.jpg

And the Dynaudio response:
1107DC1fig4.jpg

Clearly the Klipsch has the classic V-Curve response with boosted bass starting at 250Hz going down and boosted treble at 9kHz upward and depressions centered at 600Hz and 4.5kHz. All of these are well know frequencies for adding a sense of impact and dynamics. Work done by the BBC in the 1960s determined what frequencies translated into perceptions of punch, clarity, and detail and speakers were produced to represent the ideal sound and speakers were built to represent the opposite curve (so that mizing on them resulted in music which was inherently perceived as more dynamic and detailed) and EQs were designed to focus on those specific frequency bands.

So, if you want to literally experience better dynamics and clear sound, the Dynaudios are the best choice, but they will need a good subwoofer to match the Klipsch Palladiums in the frequencies below 100Hz. If you want to be fooled into thinking the sound is more dynamic due to non-linear frequency response or time distortion, the Klipsch are a better choice.

That said, I am willing to accept that for the greatest peak acoustic output the Klipsch will significantly beat the Dynaudio speakers.

I also want to point out the Palladium speakers are outstanding speakers and I would never say they are not worthy of a great system for most users. They are amazing and I love them. But for scientific demonstrations of accurate acoustic reproduction of the source signal, even in terms of dynamic reproduction, the Dynaudios win every time.

I think I speak for more than a few when I say I miss these kinds of discussions.

Thank you Flint.

I agree Zing.....point of my challenge to him. I do miss these discussions. I'll be back with questions later.......

Thanks from me also.............

I think that this again makes some of our interpretations/perceived thoughts of Dynamics much different than actual Dynamics and measurements showing the data.

Back