• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

CMonster Condo HT

Only slightly related to the condo HT, but I thought it was cool enough to mention, but not necessarily worthy of a new thread...

The Kansas City area has a pretty large and active community over at AVS Forum. We have an HT crawl scheduled for mid-February (stops at about 10 local home theaters over a weekend) which is drawing people from across the country including the founders of JTR Speakers, Seaton Sound, and Deep Sea Sound, plus Josh Ricci, the man behind data-bass.com. Pretty cool! My theater is too small and out of the way to be a crawl stop but we will be hosting an open house on Friday night after people attend a movie at the AMC Prime Dolby Cinema near our old house.

Watched The Shallows last night in 4K HDR and OMG did it look amazing! I have someone coming out on the 17th to calibrate the projector but I don't know how in the hell he can improve the picture. Still have a bunch of acoustic panels to mount - the first attempt at mounting some on the brick wall behind the screen failed to hold so I need to come up with a better solution than 3M Command strips...

@Flint (and others), I got some some of these GIK panel diffusor / absorbers:

GIK-Acoustics-Alpha-Series-white_blonde-wood_black-panel-510x600.jpg

I'm thinking about hanging them at an angle across the ceiling / sidewall intersection to also trap some bass. I'm not quite sure how to make that happen or where it'd be best to place them (I have four 2' x 2' panels). Here's a pic showing current acoustic treatments (there is a corner bass trap tucked in there as well):

37D07E2D-FFA7-4A96-B9C9-7EE7D748BAD7_zpsuygdmqeo.jpg

In addition to what's pictured, all but the top two-to-three feet of the screen wall will be covered with absorption panels and I have three 2' x 4' panels to hang on the ceiling. Right now, it seems like sound is bouncing around the top of the room muddying things up a bit and that's what I'm trying to address with the diffusor/absorber panels. As you can see, there's also a lot of wall space above the existing panels on the sidewalls that would be much easier to mount the panels to instead of trying to angle them across the top.

Is there solid sheet layer of wood under the drywall/ceiling or traditional studs? If you have something solid behind the wall and ceiling you could install furring strips in the corners at the desired angles and attach to those. Maybe a trip to KC is required? :tonguewink: Someone with a better mind for acoustics will have to chime in on whether or not that idea will add any benefit. But if it will, I'm sure something could be fabricated.

You can still attach furring strips or even suspension cables using high quality drywall anchors. The ones I prefer are rated for 50lbs each.

I will defer to the others on how to attach the acoustic panels.

As for performance, I recommend you address "slap echo" by breaking up the flat reflective area above the side absorbers. Those panels are not big enough to have a substantial bass absorption power which would outweigh the benefits of breaking up the side wall echoes.

As such, I would hang them like photographs on the side walls evenly distributed front to back at a height between the top of the absorber and the ceiling. Be sure to mirror align them on each side. That's my advice. If you want to improve the bottom end of their absorption range, you could put some sort of foam behind them so they are suspended an inch or two from the wall.

Conceptually (and both artistically and acoustically) for high ceiling rooms I'd consider hanging some acoustic panels vertically, long sides up and down, broad surfaces facing both the front and side walls, interspersed. Again depending on the height of the ceiling, they can be hung within a few inches of the ceiling and for a 2' x 4' x 2" panels this means it's hanging down just over 2'. Works well with 9'+ high ceilings - unless you regularly entertain NBA teams! Since, by definition, you spend almost all of your time seated in the room, they'll still be way up there but will suck up an awful lot of that sound that could be bouncing around (and down) and muddying things. Of course you may need to allow a window for the projector's beam - depending on where its placed relative to ceiling / screen. You can also turn some (or all) of the panels 45 degrees as need be; equally effective.

Here's an image that I download to somewhat illustrate what I'm suggesting. Obviously a different setting / layout / scale - but same concept.

cloudscape-baffle-installed.png

Something to consider.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Renate and I got to experience this theater this past weekend, and we had a blast. Chuck and Ang are great hosts, their condo is awesome, and KC is a lot fun. Got to experience Atmos for the first time (we watched John Wick in 4k), and also got to hear his Dyns as well as those monster JTRs. In addition, i've been looking at getting new (affordable) bookshelf speakers for our mantle in our living room, so i bought 3 pairs, and brought 2 to play with (the third, KEF Q100s, hadn't arrived yet). We listened to HTD Level 3 bookshelves, and HSU Research HB1s. Both of us preferred the HSUs. Neither compared to the Dyns or the JTRs :cool: :D

Nice! Looking forward to seeing the resulting video(s).

It will be interesting to hear what he thinks about accurate sounding speakers like your Dynaudio's..... I have followed him for awhile and unless I am mistaken, most of his clan are JTR Fans and run their subs +30!! Ha! Is the shoot scheduled yet? Have fun with it!

Back