• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Cutting the Cord?

Huey

Famous
I've been really leaning towards getting rid of Dish lately, but unsure of what is out there to replace it with. Currently we have Hulu commercial free, Netflix, HBO GO, and Prime. I just added HBO GO on the Prime app, and I really like that I can do that. The only reason we haven't dumped Dish, is for the locals and some prime time programming, although with CBS all access, I think that will cover more than 50% of the shows we currently DVR. What else would you guys recommend? We will probably wait until most of the shows have finished in the May, so I've got some time to figure this out.

I've been really leaning towards getting rid of Dish lately, but unsure of what is out there to replace it with. Currently we have Hulu commercial free, Netflix, HBO GO, and Prime. I just added HBO GO on the Prime app, and I really like that I can do that. The only reason we haven't dumped Dish, is for the locals and some prime time programming, although with CBS all access, I think that will cover more than 50% of the shows we currently DVR. What else would you guys recommend? We will probably wait until most of the shows have finished in the May, so I've got some time to figure this out.

Youtube and the radio (stream in ng via Alexa) have effectively replaced all my local and live broadcast content. Most championship sporting events can be watched for free, and the exceptions make for an excuse to go to a sports bar from time to time.

I have

Neflix
Hulu
CBS All Access
HBO NOW
Prime
DTV NOW

Hulu and CBs AA covers all major network programming fpr me. I don't know what the difference between HBOGO and HBONOW is if any. I am seriously considering getting rid of DTV NOW as there are only 2-3 chnnels I watch on a regular basis.

I get local news via radio or internet.

I also recommend this prior thread where we discuss our thoughts on Cutting the Cord:

http://www.theaudioannex.com/forum/threads/cord-cutters-what-do-you-miss.10186/
I had forgotten about that thread, thanks for sharing the link. Not sure what the difference between HBO GO and HBO NOW, that does seem confusing. I do enjoy watching the local news in the morning as I get my son ready for school, guess I could buy an antenna for that pretty easily. I think at one point, didn't Amazon sell an ota dvr firestick or something like that? May have to check into that as well.

A few months ago I dropped Netflix which left me with DirecTV Now (which I get at a substantial discount, otherwise I’d drop it), Hulu, and Amazon Prime.
I was recently overruled and the wife re-added Netflix, so I’ll be dropping Hulu.

I'm in the exactly the same boat as you.. I've cut back on my Dish Programming a LOT and am getting to the point where I don't see the need to have it at all. I'm already invested in the Amazon Ecoverse with a couple of Fire Sticks and a couple of Echo Dots, so my plan is to buy the Fire TV Recast and some antenna for local channels. With this, I will be able to access that recorded network TV anywhere I have a FireStick. So, in the end, I'd be able to record all of the networks, get the stuff on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and regular old YouTube (which I find I'm watching more than most things these days). The only thing I'd be missing is some of the sports programming for sports and some of the cable channels like AMC if I were still into some of their shows.

A few months ago I dropped Netflix which left me with DirecTV Now (which I get at a substantial discount, otherwise I’d drop it), Hulu, and Amazon Prime.
I was recently overruled and the wife re-added Netflix, so I’ll be dropping Hulu.
Hulu is the one I've struggled with keeping, although my kids watch it all the time, so I'd probably be overruled on that as well.

I'm in the exactly the same boat as you.. I've cut back on my Dish Programming a LOT and am getting to the point where I don't see the need to have it all. I'm already invested in the Amazon Ecoverse with a couple of Fire Sticks and a couple of Echo Dots, so my plan is to buy the Fire TV Recast and some antenna for local channels and be able to access that DVR anywhere I have a FireStick. I'd be able to record all of the networks and still get the stuff on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and regular old YouTube (which I find I'm watching more than most things these days).
I checked out the Fire Tv Recast, which if I understand correctly is an ota dvr, but it says you need a fire stick with it. Why is that? Gonna stop after work tonight and get a mohu leaf antenna just to see how well I can pick up the locals with a cheap antenna.

I checked out the Fire Tv Recast, which if I understand correctly is an ota dvr, but it says you need a fire stick with it. Why is that? Gonna stop after work tonight and get a mohu leaf antenna just to see how well I can pick up the locals with a cheap antenna.

That's the way they connect the content of the receiver to the TV itself. I don't even think the unit itself has a remote. Since I'm already invested with Amazon "stuff", this wasn't going to be an issue for me.

We put up a rooftop antenna and have Hulu, Netflix and prime. Also use some of the free apps like Pluto. Haven't had dish or cable for years now.

The Recast is a recorder with tuners making a library which all of your Fire TV streamers can play content from. So, you buy the recast, connect it to your antenna, then you can use any of your PCs, phones, tablets, or Fire TV units to watch the content on the Recast.

Me.
Netflix
Prime
DirecTV Now
Rabbit ears

DirecTV now has gotten light years better for me. I've had no buffering for many months now. I also get a discount for being a ATT cell phone customer. With that said I only watch CNBC and Fox business. I get around 30 chanels via my rabbit ears with a superior picture to all other formats. I'm considering dropping DirecTV due to the up coming price increase, dont really need cable or streaming TV at this point.

Ooooo…. I like people making their lists. Thanks for doing it.

Here's mine:
Amazon Prime video
Netflix
Hulu + (not live TV)
CBS All Access
HBO Go via Prime (so I can only access it via the Prime video app or Fire TV boxes)
YouTube (Free only)

Hulu is the one I've struggled with keeping, although my kids watch it all the time, so I'd probably be overruled on that as well.

If you get rid of Dish you most likely will want to keep Hulu so you have access to most of the major network programming.

Amazon Prime video
Hulu w/ Live TV
YouTube (free only)

We have an antenna for our living room TV but the stupid thing doesn't pick up CBS even though the tower is just a couple miles away. I only care because of sports, mainly KC Chiefs games...

The Recast is a recorder with tuners making a library which all of your Fire TV streamers can play content from. So, you buy the recast, connect it to your antenna, then you can use any of your PCs, phones, tablets, or Fire TV units to watch the content on the Recast.
So you can watch live tv on your phone via recast? Guess I'm just looking for an option that I can dvr ota stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

For those that have it, what are your thoughts on Hulu with live tv?

We currently have
Netflix​
Amazon​
Hulu (Ad free)​
HBO Now​
Starz​
YouTube Premium​

I have a quad tuner OTA DVR, but opted not to go to the expense of installing an antenna when Comcast gave me a basic package and a cable box for free. I will rethink this if they ever start charging me extra for it. It almost never gets used.

HBO GO is for people with cable. HBO Now is for streaming-only customers.
Then I must have HBO NOW. I put HBO GO in the search area of Prime, but it must default to the other when I added the channel.

Looking at Hulu.com, I see the Hulu live is $45 a month, and gives you 50 hours of cloud storage, which isn't much, but I'm guessing we would stream most of the shows and only dvr what we couldn't stream.

Back