• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Denon AH-D5000 Mod

Rope

Famous
Re: Oh no, a new HP arrived today

This is one of the mods I made to my AH-D5000's.
wp2c5b309b_0f.jpg

Rope

Rope's just copying me. After reading my Denon threads over @ S&V he just HAD to have some markl-modded Denons. ;) But mine have the Lawton wooden cup upgrade, so there! [insert tounge-sticking-out-smiley]

I don't care who he's copying, I'm just elated that he bought those! Honestly though, that was some seriously intense pressure from those of us in the know. It's no wonder he succummed.

And it drives me nuts how he lets us know when he's made a new purchase. He'll post a picture of his gear and you'll see a Klipsch RVX speaker sitting on a CanAm cabinet with an empty right front corner as the background. Then years later he'll post a picture of his chunky monkey bass trap in that right front corner except this time there'll be a PMC floorstander in front it.

Ya gotta love Rockstar Rope! :music-rockout:

Zing said:
Rope said:
This is one of the mods I made to my AH-D5000's.

Your D5000's? You didn't. Did you? When?

If you read Tee's thread, Stereo Headphone Experts, you would know about my modded AH-D5000's. I'll assume in your drunken fury regarding the AKG K701's, it was over looked.

Rope

I guess that puts me in my place. Thanks for setting me on the straight and narrow.

Here's the extent of the markl mod:

wpc3bf13e3_0f.jpg

wpb21bd8c7_0f.jpg

wp59aac68e_0f.jpg

wp2c5b309b_0f.jpg

MarkL Mod Detail

There is a cable mod, however, I'm not much for cable Voodoo.

Rope

Zing said:
I guess that puts me in my place. Thanks for setting me on the straight and narrow.

My post wasn't intended to be condescending, or put anyone, any where, as I realize you had been watching the Jets game while inbibing adult beverages. LUSH! :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Rope

PaulyT said:
Rope's just copying me. After reading my Denon threads over @ S&V he just HAD to have some markl-modded Denons. ;) But mine have the Lawton wooden cup upgrade, so there! [insert tounge-sticking-out-smiley]

And just how do you know my Denon's don't have the upgraded Lawton woodies?

Never mind, you know me well enough to realize I would never spend $230.00 for woodies when my cans already have woodies.

Rope

GreatDane said:
Nice!

So, HOW DO THEY SOUND???

Well, before the mod till now they're about 300 times better. At first the bottom end was really phat/boomy/bloated, and the damn things would rattle when reproducing low frequencies. After mod, the bottom end is much cleaner/tighter, including the low midrange. Highs are good, midrange nothing to write home about. I will give them a nod when it comes to listening to rock/electronica/house music, since the bottom end is cleaned up. They're truly fun headphone but none too precise.

I'm hoping the midrange will get better with time, but I'm not holding my breath.

Rope

What would be fun is a combination of the 5000's and AKG K701's. All the detail with a tight bottom end. Now that would be a fun headphone.

Rope

If the were terrible before the trouble of modding and now there nothing to write home about...That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for $400 headphones. Am I misinterpreting?

Matter of opinion, as with all audio stuff. I'm very pleased with mine, no complaints about midrange.

Towen7 said:
If the were terrible before the trouble of modding and now there nothing to write home about...That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for $400 headphones. Am I misinterpreting?

Before mod, the bottom end is just plain sloppy. After, tight, punchy and fun. The midrange is nothing to write home about, it's decent, but no where near as clean as the 701's, and doesn't have as much detail. High frequencies are about a catch 22. If you're looking for a critical, natural, clean phone, the AKG's get my vote. On the other hand, if you're not concerned about critical listening, and you want a fun phone, that's also comfortable, good punch in the bottom end, the D5000's are a real HOOT!

Rope

Rope

Attachments

• PICT0300.JPG
    PICT0300.JPG
    704.6 KB · Views: 3,212
  • PICT0302.JPG
    PICT0302.JPG
    705.7 KB · Views: 3,212
  • PICT0307.JPG
    PICT0307.JPG
    708.4 KB · Views: 3,212
YES, that stand is very cool. Where did you buy the hardware? I think I've seen that before but I have no info.

GreatDane said:
YES, that stand is very cool. Where did you buy the hardware? I think I've seen that before but I have no info.

I purchased the pieces and parts from IKEA. I have a client who builds cabinets, he supplied the walnut base.

Some items come in pairs, some in quad, so, I have left over one vertical post, 3 horizontal hangers, no cord management buttons. If someone would like the extra parts, they're yours for freight cost.

EKBY BJARNUM
Capita 4"
Attest

Rope

Back