• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Denon AH-D5000 Mod

Rope

Attachments

• PICT0321.JPG
    PICT0321.JPG
    832.8 KB · Views: 1,835
  • PICT0323.JPG
    PICT0323.JPG
    740.5 KB · Views: 1,835
  • PICT0327.JPG
    PICT0327.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,835
  • PICT0331.JPG
    PICT0331.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,835
  • PICT0333.JPG
    PICT0333.JPG
    784.4 KB · Views: 1,835
Very nice. Is the build quality as nice hands on as it looks in pics?

Have you blown up any headphones with it yet?

GreatDane said:
Very nice. Is the build quality as nice hands on as it looks in pics?

Have you blown up any headphones with it yet?

Build quality is excellent, solid, compact and nice finish, although I'm not a big silver fan.

I'm still waiting for the endorphins to subside before I start crowing, but I will say, it certainly lights up the AKG K701's bottom end. The Denon's, on the other hand, need little help in the bottom end department, but the headroom is astronomical. I'd like to try a pair of Amperex Tubes in order to add more "tube" sound, if indeed that's something distinctly audible.

I'm of the opinion, considering the adaptive out put stage offered by the LYR, you could drive any headphone currently produced, and it would sound excellent.

Rope

Found an affordable matched section Genalex Gold Lion 6922 gold pin tubes. :happy-smileygiantred:

gl6922sgl.jpg

Rope

Ah, tube rolling - the great joy and greater pain of tube gear. I've got about 6 tubes for my HiFiMan hybrid amp that I never got around to trying... (yeah yeah, same deal, too many projects)

This will be my first experience with tube rolling, based on cost, and the materiality of sound improvement, it could be my last.

Rope

Rope said:
This will be my first experience with tube rolling, based on cost, and the materiality of sound improvement, it could be my last.
Regardless of the outcome, I think the learning experience is worth the price of admission. When all is said and done, you'll know - instead of wondering.

Curiousity killed the cat?

I agree with your statement, although, my expectations are not high. In fact, after spending a bit of time on the Headfi site and reading comments by self proclaimed experts, such as cable nonsense, and burn-in theories, both dealing with electronics, my expectations dwindle daily. If indeed there is a material difference in tube valves, I'll be the first to admit my error in doubting their value. Time will tell.

Rope

Rope said:
Curiousity killed the cat?

I agree with your statement, although, my expectations are not high. In fact, after spending a bit of time on the Headfi site and reading comments by self proclaimed experts, such as cable nonsense, and burn-in theories, both dealing with electronics, my expectations dwindle daily. If indeed there is a material difference in tube valves, I'll be the first to admit my error in doubting their value. Time will tell.

Rope

Tubes, being an elecctro-mechanical type of device, will have small differences in performance between brands simply because of the small differences in their internal structure. While these differences are certainly measurable, they are not enough for me to go through the hassle of tube rolling.

Thanks for confiming my doubts, SH.

I am truly in awe at some of the pricing on NOS analog tubes, such as the Amperex offerings. $375.00 per tube? Matched sets bring a higher cost? Holy crap! This is truly the incorrect hobby for me.

Rope

I did some rolling with my Jade headphone amp, and there was definitely a noticeable difference. Fortunately the tubes in it are not horrifically expensive. I'm glad I did it, but it was a pain and I dread going through it again - I probably won't - if the current tubes die.

I've only bought one extra set ( 3 tubes ) for my WA3. I did hear a small change. My interest in tube rolling stopped 4 years ago at that time. I do like having the extra set for when my Tung-Sol and Amperex die.

It sounds as though everyone is in agreement that different tubes have different sound, but nothing to have a parade, or write home about.

This will probably be my first and last "roll in the tube hay".

Dane -

Did your Woo come with the Amperex Tubes? If so, that would explain the additional cost of Woo amps.

Rope

Rope said:
Did your Woo come with the Amperex Tubes? If so, that would explain the additional cost of Woo amps.

Rope

This might of might not be known by most people, but the great old brands of tubes like Amperex, Tung-Sol, Gold Lion, RCA, GE, Ken-Rad etc ceased to be the original factories which made these tubes in the past. Some of these brand names have been purchased by companies completely disconnected with the original manufacturers (although in some instances the tooling is original). That's not necessarily a bad thing; I have some Tung-Sol 6SQ7s which are made in Russia which I'm very happy with. But they ain't the all-American companies anymore.

Rope,

My WA3 came with a GE and pair of Philips. I also have a RCA power that I bought just before the Tung-sol.

I'm thinking a cool $5,000.00 would get me started in the tube rolling game, and if I were to get serious, add another 2 bills. I'd have more tied up in tubes than HP gear. Guess I'll be happy with the JJ's and Gold Lions, save the rest for beer. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

Does passing current through an analog tube for a period of time physically change the tube to alter the sonic signature?

Rope

Rope said:
Does passing current through an analog tube for a period of time physically change the tube to alter the sonic signature?

Rope
Short answer, yes. The cathode's emission changes as the tube ages, and that will change the transfer characteristics of the tube. Eventually the cathode completely looses its ability to emit electrons.

Once again, thanks SH. Knowing there is an actual change in the tube through emission of electrons, or lack of, makes what I've been reading much more palatable.

Rope

Here's a recap of my tube rolling experience, involving the Schiit LYR, JJ E88CC/6922,(stock tube)Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/6922 tubes, Denon AH-D5000 HP, and all media files WMA lossless. Listening began, March 24, 2011, when I received the LYR. Tubes were swapped from the stock JJ to Genalex, April 4, 2011, till present.

First thing I noticed with the stock JJ's was the recessed midrange and grating highs (Sssssssss). Initially I assumed this was the Denon's short coming, not understanding or thinking different tubes would have all that great of an impact on sound. I also experienced the same high frequency sssssss with my prior amp (LD II++) which I had never swapped tubes.

When I received the Genalex GL's, I didn't immediately swap tubes, since I didn't plan on any real significant improvement in SQ. This is the point where I start sounding like one of those "audiofools" who continually harp about electronic burn-in and cables. Late next evening after a brief listening session with the stock tubes, curiosity got the best of me and I swapped in the GL's, nearly loosing my finger prints during the procedure. First thing I noticed was the midrange had changed from the "rear", and was brought front and center, full and detailed. Next observation was the missing sibelance in the high frequency range. That's right, no more sssssssssssss! The artists used were, Kate Bush, Supertramp, Adele, SRV, and Eva Cassity.

I'm assuming because the Schiit LYR uses the tubes in the input stage, this could account for the larger than expected difference in tubes, however, all tube amplifiers have tubes in the input stage, or perhaps it has something to do with the hybrid operation? I don't have a diffinitive answer, but the tube change is worth the dollars spent and I'm enjoying the GL's very much.

Rope

Back