• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Do you Roku?

Towen7

Staff member
I'm going to be setting up at least one (maybe three Roku) boxes in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone here have any experience with these?

I do not, although I will be setting up an XDS Thursday evening. I do know once you have the ROKU in hand, you need to setup an account for it on the ROKU site. If you have a netflix membership, I believe you can have up to 6 streaming users. That's a decent deal for $9.00 per month.

I'll post when I receive the XDS, get it installed and setup.

Rope

Rope said:
If you have a netflix membership, I believe you can have up to 6 streaming users. That's a decent deal for $9.00 per month.

What kind of internet speeds do you maintain? I'm reading that 4Mbps is required for the highest quality. I'll need to upgrade my service if that is the case.

Definitely do keep me posted!!

I don't have a Netflix account at the moment but I will once I get settled in. The number of streaming clients was a concern so it's good to know that Netflix allows more than one. Ideally I'll be able to run 3 simultaneously on any service accessible through the Roku so what I need to learn now is how many clients Hulu+ allows on a single account. I know that they allow only a single PS3 to use an account every 24 hours.

OK, after I ask this question, I'll turn in my tech savvy card.

What is XDS?

Zing said:
What is XDS?

It's one of the three new internet connected set top boxes that Roku recently released. http://shop.roku.com/Roku-Digital-Video ... ns-W5.aspx

xdshero.jpg

I have a Roku device similar to that, must be the older one. It's pretty cool, easy to set up and works great (with Netflix which is all I've done so far)

Towen7 said:
Rope said:
If you have a netflix membership, I believe you can have up to 6 streaming users. That's a decent deal for $9.00 per month.

What kind of internet speeds do you maintain? I'm reading that 4Mbps is required for the highest quality. I'll need to upgrade my service if that is the case.

Definitely do keep me posted!!

I don't have a Netflix account at the moment but I will once I get settled in. The number of streaming clients was a concern so it's good to know that Netflix allows more than one. Ideally I'll be able to run 3 simultaneously on any service accessible through the Roku so what I need to learn now is how many clients Hulu+ allows on a single account. I know that they allow only a single PS3 to use an account every 24 hours.

I'm not certain about Hulu, although I will be finding out in the coming couple of days. The real clincher for me, beside Netflix, was UFC, Amazon and Pandora and XDS's ability to connect to a USB hard drive, plus the toslink connector.

My internet speed (Comcastic) is around 10/11 mps, however I have the ability to jack that up for not a whole lot of geeza, if need be.

Rope

I mentioned this in the Cutting Cable thread.

It took some digging but I found the EULAs for Hulu+ and Netflix.

Hulu+ allows only one stream per account.
Netflix allows six devices but varies the number of simultaneous streams depending on the type of account; 1 disc=1 stream, 2 discs=2 streams, etc...

Towen7 said:
I mentioned this in the Cutting Cable thread.

It took some digging but I found the EULAs for Hulu+ and Netflix.

Hulu+ allows only one stream per account.
Netflix allows six devices but varies the number of simultaneous streams depending on the type of account; 1 disc=1 stream, 2 discs=2 streams, etc...

I have a two disc account and will be using only one stream, you can have the other.

Rope

What's the cost on the roku's? The bluray players that are coming out, seem to be doing all of this and more, which is the way I would lean.
Rob

The top of the line Roku is $100. I'd opt for a BD player with the functionality too but the only one that that supports Hulu is the newest $300+ Samsung. I already have a capable BD player so it makes more sense to go with a Roku.

I can't be for certain Towen, but I think the Sony 570 will do Hulu+, and can be had for just a little over $200. Still twice as much as the Roku though, just trying to give you options.

Towen7 said:
You still waiting until Thursday to set it up?

I didn't expect it's arrival until Thursday. I been attempting to make the connection through the Onkyo for switching purposes, can't get any signal. I've hard wired to my ethernet router and it appears to be on the network, but still no signal through the Onkyo to the dislay, using AUX1. I'm assuming at this point, it has to be connected directly to the display? If so, that's a real deal breaker for me.

Rope

Plenty of speed. Connected direct to my display, still no video. :angry-cussingblack:

Rope

I'm sorry you're having these troubles. I know how aggrevating it is when a new toy doesn't work like it should. Hopefully you'll find that it's something simple to correct and you'll be enjoying it in no time.

I couldn't help but notice, in your speed test, that you're less than 50 miles from the server. Considering that, your ping time is awful. I know that's got nothing to do with your current dilemma but, once you get that resolved, you should look into your ping problem. It's about a hundred times slower than it should be at that distance.

Zing said:
I'm sorry you're having these troubles. I know how aggrevating it is when a new toy doesn't work like it should. Hopefully you'll find that it's something simple to correct and you'll be enjoying it in no time.

I couldn't help but notice, in your speed test, that you're less than 50 miles from the server. Considering that, your ping time is awful. I know that's got nothing to do with your current dilemma but, once you get that resolved, you should look into your ping problem. It's about a hundred times slower than it should be at that distance.

Actually the distance is around 15 miles, give or take a mile. I used to be routed through xmission in SLC. I'm not sure why comcast started using the Orem servers.

Rope

Back