• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

From Twin 12's to Quad 15's

The setup tips mentioned are starting points. Whichever method you use, once you've done that you can then adjust to reflect your own preferences. Again, consider adding some bass traps (if WAF allows) to smooth out the room gain. And relax & enjoy the new "twins" in your family!

I've known for years that moving a speaker or sub just a tiny bit can make a big difference to the sound, both audible and measured. Yet it completely blows me away each time it happens.

I experimented with several layout, placement and positioning options today. With each possible configuration combination, I went through the same painstaking process of setting up and calibrating dual subs. Each of them yielded something good as well as something not-so-good. As I ran out of options, I started to put things back the way they were when I got an idea to try something I thought would look good and hoped it would sound good too. I simply moved the subs a little closer to mains (about 8") and then gave each of them the same toe-in as the speakers.

BINGO!

Front.jpg

Despite my best efforts adjusting the phase, I think I was getting some cancellation at certain frequencies. That cancellation seems to have disappeared and I've yet to find another problem area with the subs in these positions.

Right now, I be grinnin'. :happy-smileygiantred:

Heeman mentioned he was going to experiment with speaker placement. I hope he reads your post.

Placement is one of those "free" tweaks that doesn't get enough attention IMO. If I have to move a speaker(s), I mark the exact spot of its location with masking tape to enable returning it to that location when finished.

Rope

Rope said:
Heeman mentioned he was going to experiment with speaker placement. I hope he reads your post.

Placement is one of those "free" tweaks that doesn't get enough attention IMO. If I have to move a speaker(s), I mark the exact spot of its location with masking tape to enable returning it to that location when finished.

Rope

Yea, now that those damn spikes are gone, tweaking the position and/or making significant changes will be easy. The tough part is judging whether or not the move significantly improves the sound or not..... :angry-tappingfoot: :angry-tappingfoot:

I think the most significant improvements will be my continuation of absorbers and bass traps.

^ I'm glad to see you say that. Now that I've got the subs dialed in and given how small they are, I'm thinking about buying two more. FOUR XS30's in dual stacks of two! How friggin' awesome would that be? :scared-eek:

Zing said:
^ I'm glad to see you say that. Now that I've got the subs dialed in and given how small they are, I'm thinking about buying two more. FOUR XS30's in dual stacks of two! How friggin' awesome would that be? :scared-eek:

Well, sugar, how about two new Triaxes in addition, too. teasing-tease:

Babs said:
Zing said:

Well, sugar, how about two new Triaxes in addition to! :handgestures-thumbup:

Zing, I quoted Babs so she can't change her post when she sobers up. You owe me big, buddy. :happy-smileygiantred:

Babs said:
Well, sugar, how about two new Triaxes in addition to! :teasing-tease:
If that's a dare, I accept!

Botch said:
Zing, I quoted Babs so she can't change her post when she sobers up. You owe me big, buddy. :happy-smileygiantred:
You're a good friend! :bow-blue:

Just saw the thread. I don't have an advice because I've never had 2 subs. Just wanted to say You Suck!

Btw, what speakers are those? Totems? The drivers look like Dynaudio drivers to me.

lulimet said:
Btw, what speakers are those? Totems? The drivers look like Dynaudio drivers to me.
Swan D2.1SE - and you're not alone in thinking the drivers look like Dyn drivers.

Zing said:
I simply moved the subs a little closer to mains (about 8") and then gave each of them the same toe-in as the speakers.

BINGO!

That cancellation seems to have disappeared and I've yet to find another problem area with the subs in these positions.

Which begs the question... What would happen if you configured them directly under the speakers?

That was one of the many configurations I tried yesterday.

I dismantled my speaker stands, slid the subs forward a couple feet and put the speakers on the subs. From there I experimented even further: speakers straight/subs angled; speakers angled/subs straight; speakers on left edge; right edge; etc. I exhausted all possible combinations and configurations and nothing seemed to be just right across the board. Each had their pros and cons. That's when I decided to put everything back the way it was and start all over - again.

Could you tell by listening to music...or were you listening to test tones when trying out the different configurations?

jamhead said:
Could you tell by listening to music...or were you listening to test tones when trying out the different configurations?
Both!

It was a couple of music tracks and two movie scenes, Monday night, that indicated something wasn't right. As I went through the trial and error process yesterday, I started using the audio portions of AIX, WoW and DVE to help identify the trouble. I could correct one song or the other; one scene or the other; but never all of them with a single change...until that final decision. Plus, given the fact that I'm presently crossing the mains to the subs at 90Hz, each time I calibrated the system, I set all speakers/subs to the same level instead of taking a few dB's out of the sub.

I'm quite happy with the results but, on exceptionally bass heavy material, I think it can be a bit much. Last night I played this Quincy tune (Pauly, you heard it, correct me if I'm wrong) that has some ridiculously low bass hits that have to be in the teens. Well, it actually rippled my projector screen (which has a 2-3 pound weighted bar). :scared-yipes: Perhaps I should dial them back a bit.

:laughing: When I first read that last bit I thought you said it RIPPED your screen, that'd woulda gotten my vote for best subwoofer upgrade ever.

And yeah I remember my "holy shit" reaction on hearing that note, was pretty impressive with your rig at the time, can't imagine what it feels like now.

Zing,
Can you describe the main difference between PSA's and SVS? I mean, does the bass sound better, or is it more of a tactile feel than audible?

I think XS30's are a tad less tactile because they're sealed. But it's really difficult for me to say because there were a number of simultaneous changes. What I mean is, I went from a single ported sub with two 12" drivers in the left front corner to dual 15" driver sealed subs in each front corner. That's not exactly a small change. Any sonic differences I notice could be caused any one - or any combination - of those physical differences.

That said, I maintain a comment I made previously and that is, things are tighter and don't wander around the house and linger. I believe the term is 'decay' and it's much faster - noticeably so - with the XS30's than it was with PB12/2. The only analogy I can make is this: imagine a crossover with a 6dB slope. That was the SVS. Now imagine another crossover with a 24dB slope. That's the XS30. It hits, hits hard, and stops. No muss; no fuss.

Back