• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Godzilla

Does anyone know why the Monarch symbol in the new Apple TV+ series appears different then the original symbol from Legendary films? It's broken on the sides no idea why have yet to hear any explanation in the series or find anything written about it online. Asking because I might know a guy who might end up with some of these symbols tattooed on his body somewhere. Might.

New symbol...
View attachment 12454
Original symbol...
View attachment 12455

Just finished ep2 and with the exception of that one bag every other depiction of the logo is the closed symbol.

Just finished ep2 and with the exception of that one bag every other depiction of the logo is the closed symbol.
Still hunting around online for some explanation nothing out there yet on this. I can't be the only obsessive fan who noticed it. I have read entire volumes of Reddit threads about far more obscure details, trivia and lore.

Last edited:
Still hunting around online for some explanation nothing out there yet on this. I can't be the only obsessive fan who noticed it. I have read entire volumes of Reddit threads about far more obscure details, trivia and lore.

It's also in the opening credits on what appear to be maps... my guess is that the open M the as the original logo from the 50s when Monarch was under US control and it evolved to the closed M when it went global.

IMG_0636.jpeg

Sooooo ... in episode three we see the Army has mislead the scientists and setup a bomb to nuke Godzilla once it's lured out. A soldier who presumably has never seen the monster has painted its image on the side of the bomb and crosses it out.
How did he or the army know what it looked like?

It's also in the opening credits on what appear to be maps... my guess is that the open M the as the original logo from the 50s when Monarch was under US control and it evolved to the closed M when it went global.

View attachment 12459
Could also be a broken symbol indicating some form of anti-Monarch authority sentiment or rebellion which kinda fits the storyline so far. Broken symbols can mean that historically I believe. Hopefully as the series progresses this is revealed. Otherwise I am going to lose sleep.

Sooooo ... in episode three we see the Army has mislead the scientists and setup a bomb to nuke Godzilla once it's lured out. A soldier who presumably has never seen the monster has painted its image on the side of the bomb and crosses it out.
How did he or the army know what it looked like?
My guess is that they are maybe trying to adhere to the origin story lore of Godzilla getting chased around the Pacific with what were passed off as nuclear tests but were really just failed attempts to hunt and kill the monster. So maybe some of these soldiers had already been involved in this effort.

My guess is that they are maybe trying to adhere to the origin story lore of Godzilla getting chased around the Pacific with what were passed off as nuclear tests but were really just failed attempts to hunt and kill the monster. So maybe some of these soldiers had already been involved in this effort.

Reasonable-ish

Zachary and I saw Godzilla Minus One this past Thursday. He loved it, I enjoyed it. I’m not a huge Godzilla fan but def grasp the appeal of this film.

Third viewing tonight of Minus One going because I'm a glutton for Godzilla but also to check out the newly updated local theater with DBOX seats. Should be properly bouncy good time.

DBOX seats were a pleasant surprise and a much more enjoyable experience then I expected. Didn't realize how much effort went into adapting the soundtrack to the movement of these chairs and how varied and specific the physical effects were. It was definitely not just the random rumbles and shakes that I expected... the movements sync'd pretty perfectly with what was happening on screen and were not overdone or overzealous... little pitches and rolls to match movements in the screen it reminded me of some of the virtual rides at Universal Studios but more calculated and scripted. Subtle movements sometimes not too heavy handed. Of course when the huge effects and explosions happened the chairs went bonkers which was also fun (and can be de-tuned to comfort levels as desired there is a little controller on the armrest to dial the effects up and down in intensity). But bottom line is it seems like someone spent a lot of effort creating the programming I imagine to sync so perfectly with the soundtrack and on screen events. Not sure how the soundtrack gets translated to DBOX will have to read more about it. Maybe some movies are more carefully adapted then others. This one was done very well IMO.

Third viewing of Minus One was fun... paid more attention to some of the post WWII storyline and sentiment some of which I have been reading about and is was maybe a little heavier then I gathered upon first (or second) take. Have some thoughts about that will post when I get around to it. Also noticed some musical score elements possibly borrowed or mimic'ing the theme music from Casshern (the 2004 live action adaptation not the original 1973 anime series). Don't know if that was intentional or coincidental.

IMG_20231213_190632873.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder if this'll be the next home theater "must-have" and A/V format.

I think it would come down to whether there was enough source material with DBOX engineered/compatible soundtracks. Because if the seats just acted like LFE equipped recliners on regularly encoded 5.1 source material I wouldn't be too interested. But the scripted/sync'd movement part was pretty cool. Next good action movie that comes around I will try them again. Was a lot of fun.

Wonder if this'll be the next home theater "must-have" and A/V format.
I doubt it. I believe it’s been available in multiple forms for a while and hasn’t caught on yet. I think unless it’s paired with the right content at the right levels it can be quite gimmicky and can be a distraction.

unless it’s paired with the right content at the right levels it can be quite gimmicky and can be a distraction.
Agreed it would just be silly if it wasn't programmed purposefully to sync with the content. I was fully expecting to hate it but was happy to find (at least with this film) that is was executed nicely.

FYI the DBOX tickets were more expensive @ $25 per seat. So not something I think that will catch on anytime soon. I'd do it again for a special occasion (as in literally any Godzilla movie LOL) but probably not otherwise.

I have a confession to make ...
I didn't realize that the guy playing Captain Shaw in Monarch was Kurt Russell's kid.

Was it the age progression/morphing of their faces that gave it away? Of the same last name in the credits?

:bouncygrin:
None of the above …
I always skip the opening and closing credits. And so far I haven’t seen much age progression. There’s the young Captain Shaw and old Colonel Shaw. Anyway … At first glance I thought “oh, I see why they cast him, he kinda-sort of looks like a young Kurt“. Then there was the scene when Colonel Shaw is in custody and he steps in front of a projected image of Captain Shaw and I thought “oh, I see what the Director of Photography was doing, trying to really play up that they look alike. It’d be a much cooler shot if they were actually related“. Then today for some reason I looked up his name and, well, here we are.

^ I would not have made the connection without doing the same if he hadn’t already been in The Falcon and Winter Soldier and I knew who he was from that show.

Back