• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Godzilla

^ I would not have made the connection without doing the same if he hadn’t already been in The Falcon and Winter Soldier and I knew who he was from that show.
I recognized him from that show immediately too but didn't know his name/lineage. I guess he'd be what the media has started calling a Nepo Baby because, IMHO he's not all that good an actor.

I recognized him from that show immediately too but didn't know his name/lineage. I guess he'd be what the media has started calling a Nepo Baby because, IMHO he's not all that good an actor.
Is Kurt Russell considered a good actor? :D

I'm watching episode seven and I'm quickly losing interest in Monarch.

It exposes all of the problems with turning cinematic properties into an ongoing series and needing to extend the running time. All the jumping back and forth in time to round out plot elements, the ridiculous circumstances required when having a small set of characters encounter SO many impossible situations, characters "unexpectedly" changing alliances just to stretch out story elements or create them, characters responding to situations radically different from one scene to the next ...

Good writing makes suspension of disbelief happen naturally but I'm having to work really hard to stay engaged.

I genuinely don't care about any of the characters or the storyline ... I'm just waiting for that next monster scene.

Last edited:
I genuinely don't care about any of the characters or the storyline ... I'm just waiting for that next monster scene.
Agreed I am also losing interest. It's just not a good series which is a shame because the production value is clearly there. The "story" feels almost like a randomly thrown together series of events or pile of references to random Godzilla lore (some old but mostly new Legendary era and all very forced feeling as if they are trying to create new content that is both unnecessary and contrived) and the characters are just not interesting. And after Minus One it all feels especially light on quality and substance. I'll watch the rest of it but it's definitely a disappointment.

Last edited:
It exposes all of the problems with turning cinematic properties into an ongoing series and needing to extend the running time.
I felt the same way about Hanna on Amazon. Really good start then just dragged on as they tried to stretch it out into series length.

Looks like Turner Classic Movies is running back-to-back Godzilla movies from the 60’s this morning.

Took my parents to see Godzilla Minus One early morning showing New Years Day they wanted to see it (my 4th theatrical viewing). Interesting generational observation my father made was that that everyone in the movie was very well dressed (men wearing ties in the street scenes, etc.) something you don't see much anymore he said. Always fun to see what little things people take away from movies.

Last edited:
We're not huge Godzilla fans, but we saw Minus One last night and enjoyed it. Will most likely purchase on disc, which doesn't happen much for us anymore...

US limited release date for Godzilla Minus One, Minus Color is Friday, January 26th looks like it will only run for one week in theaters. Scored dead center tickets for Friday opening night and again the following Tuesday night so I can take my son. That will make a total of six theatrical viewings... four in color... two in monochrome black and white. Did I mention that I liked this movie?

:bouncygrin:

GMINUSCOLOR copy.jpeg

Mild Spoiler Alert nothing major just mentioning a particular scene...

Watched Minus One/Minus Color in an XD theater with my son... my second viewing Minus Color. Was initially disappointed with quality of black and white transfer upon first/previous viewing in smaller local theater. But glad I gave it a second chance on larger XD screen it looked a hundred times better. First viewing was dark and poor contrast it was hard to see a lot of it. Didn't help that there was a very bright exit sign washing out the bottom right corner of the screen (note to self: avoid that theater). But the XD version was outstanding. The retro nostalgic effect was right on point. Looked like they went back in time and gave the original director and crew some modern effects tools and otherwise mimic'd the look of the original film very effectively IMO. I still think I prefer the color version aesthetically but there are some new and different things that maybe work better in black and white. Specifically the street rampage scenes meant to evoke Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The monochrome black and white footage achieve almost a news reel effect which makes it feel much more authentic. The mushroom cloud scene is intense and emotional and IMO works better in black and white. And either way in color or black and white the large XD/IMAX screen is a must for this film. I did also feel like I had greater appreciation for some of the other aspects of the film during the black and white viewing... primarily the musical score. Maybe with less visual distraction/stimulation my other senses were more available? Just a theory.

Sad this movie is leaving theaters. Saw it six times and would probably go again in a couple weeks if it was still around.

Last edited:
Got tickets for opening night IMAX 2D showing of new Legendary Godzilla/Kong flick. Not sure if I am as excited about it as I might otherwise be after binge watching Toho's Minus One. Kinda half heartedly not so enthusiastic. The bar has been raised.

Screen Shot 2024-03-13 at 12.52.18 PM.png

Back