• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Going back to Klipsch........

Yesfan70 said:
Deerhunter said:
........I have only heard the Klipsch models that Best Buy sells.

I 'like' those, but they are night and day compared to the Reference line on up. As far as the cheaper Klipschs go, the older Synergy line just seemed to be a huge drop in performance compared to the Reference speakers and the Heresy III (all I've heard form the Heritage line).

For now, 5.1 will be all I want. Maybe after the first of the year, I'll look for a set of towers. I would like to stay with the KG line and go back to what I had before, but those Reference towers with those copper finished woofers look really nice! I just wished they would offer more finishes besides black and cherry.

Yeah, like battleship gray! :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

No, no battleship gray for me. Wood is good. Give me something like a bird's eye maple. That would look like nice on a set of K-horns.

Going back to your routes, huh ?
Congrats....I've always put you & Klipsch together.
Enjoy my friend.

Razz said:
So what would that line of speakers compare to in the Klipsch line up today?

The Reference Series. The KG line was discontinued in '97 and the Reference has been around since '99. As far as the KG speakers I owned, I would think their comparable models were:

KG5.5 - RF-7 II or RF-82 II
KG2.5 - RB 61 II
KG1.5 - RB-41 II

A nice find, Yesfan, and at a nice price for models you were looking for.
I've found patience is a virture when shopping around for different pices of equipment Eventualy you'll be in the right place at the right time and walk away happy.
I'm not familiar with Klipsch speakers for that time period And from the
response from others, and your previous speakers, they are surely good

I hope they're in nice shape, and perform up to your expectations.
:handgestures-thumbup:

I like the Klipsch sound, . . . just not been priviledged to hear all their models

Small update.......

Well, needless to say all my speakers came in. First the 1.5s (surrounds), then the single 2.5 (center), followed by the pair of 2.5s that will be the mains.

I sat down earlier tonight and spent about an hour listening to the 2.5s. The wife and kid are heading out of town to visit my sis n law, so I took my Denon 3803, bedroom Squeezebox, and the ghetto stands and set up a small listening area in my living room and jammed for an hour and a half.

I'm very very happy with my purchase of these speakers! This pair was $214 total. I think I made out like a bandit truth be told and the finish is pristine. If the seller told me they had been sitting in the warehouse for the last 16-17 years, I'd believe it.

I haven't gave the smaller 1.5s a listen yet, but do have them on the stands ready to fire up when I get home tomorrow from work. I'm stoked. They look almost as good as the 2.5 pair, but there is a small smudge on the upper back corner of one of them. Besides that, excellent condition.

Then there is the single 2.5. I got it out of the box it was shipped and it's beat all to hell A couple of gouges on the side like it's been dropped and scratches galore. The picture on the auction looks much better, so I don't know if the pic was taking before the damage and the owner was reluctant to make note, or if the UPS driver had one too many drinks on the way to my house. If it works, then I'm not going to worry about it. I can always try to find another pair and let the single just be a parts speaker. Either way, I'm going to PM the seller and let him know.

So far, huge grin. Hope the 1.5 can still put the same smile on my face tomorrow. I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow.

Yesfan70 said:
Small update.......

Well, needless to say all my speakers came in. First the 1.5s (surrounds), then the single 2.5 (center), followed by the pair of 2.5s that will be the mains.

I sat down earlier tonight and spent about an hour listening to the 2.5s. The wife and kid are heading out of town to visit my sis n law, so I took my Denon 3803, bedroom Squeezebox, and the ghetto stands and set up a small listening area in my living room and jammed for an hour and a half.

I'm very very happy with my purchase of these speakers! This pair was $214 total. I think I made out like a bandit truth be told and the finish is pristine. If the seller told me they had been sitting in the warehouse for the last 16-17 years, I'd believe it.

I haven't gave the smaller 1.5s a listen yet, but do have them on the stands ready to fire up when I get home tomorrow from work. I'm stoked. They look almost as good as the 2.5 pair, but there is a small smudge on the upper back corner of one of them. Besides that, excellent condition.

Then there is the single 2.5. I got it out of the box it was shipped and it's beat all to hell A couple of gouges on the side like it's been dropped and scratches galore. The picture on the auction looks much better, so I don't know if the pic was taking before the damage and the owner was reluctant to make note, or if the UPS driver had one too many drinks on the way to my house. If it works, then I'm not going to worry about it. I can always try to find another pair and let the single just be a parts speaker. Either way, I'm going to PM the seller and let him know.

So far, huge grin. Hope the 1.5 can still put the same smile on my face tomorrow. I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow.

Enjoy them Yesfan!!!! :text-bravo:

Just got done demoing the smaller 1.5s. They sound just as good. They don't seem to have as much low end as the larger 2.5, but for a speaker with a single 6.5"er, not bad at all. Here's some pics:

The setup

IMAG0061.jpg

The wife took the kid and dog to her sisters today. She won't be back until tomorrow, so I brought my Denon 3803 receiver and ghetto stands up to do a little demoing. I made a small playlist of tunes via the Squeezebox and just kicked back and listened.

I've really forgotten how dynamic these speakers are, especially with some of my jazz albums. They seem to provide a lot more detail in the music too than I remember. Placement of the instruments seem to be easier to hear than with my Mackies. One track, Peter King's "Ajo", I can hear a washboard type instrument being played in the right foreground (it's really a small round wooden percussion instrument with ridges that a small stick is dragged across. Name escapes me.).

Another track was the live version of "Abacab" from Genesis' Three Sides Live album. Toward the end of the track during Daryl Stuermer's solo, you can hear Phil pumping his hi-hat with his foot and at times striking it with his stick while he and Chester are going off on the toms. Before, it just sounded more like the hi-hat was doing a basic pump with his foot.

With some of the newer music Like Beck and MGMT, at times I felt like the Klipschs would start to run out of steam. I know those recordings are heavily layered with sounds. It's as if the speaker were getting over saturated with sound (if that makes sense). I heard more or less the same effect from the Monitor towers Ben and me demoed in Knoxville a few months back. It could be the speaker, the room, setup or maybe a combination. I'll know more when I set everything up downstairs. This setup was thrown together at the last minute. About the only thing I did with calibration was even the channel levels on the receiver and made sure the speakers were equidistant from me.

Overall I'm very pleased. There's some areas my Mackies excelled in and others the Klipschs were better. I'm hoping the negative about the speakers running out of steam are more with the system setup and room interaction than anything. If not, it's still no where near being a downer. For just a bit under $100/speaker, I haven't heard anything as nice as what I have. You can't get that kind of sound from your Best Buys for that price.

Some more pics.........

Klipsch KG 2.5 in light oak

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

The KG1.5 in the same finish

IMAG0044.jpg

The single KG 2.5. I haven't listened to this one yet. I just hope it sounds (way) better than it looks

IMAG0063.jpg

You can't see the gouge on the left of the speaker, mid way, but here's a close up.

IMAG0062.jpg

I have another pair of KG2.5s coming to me. I bought those this morning. They look to be in better condition than this one. If the drivers in this speaker works, then I'll just hold on to it as a parts speaker.

Now to make some new stands. I'm also going to figure out a different way to mount the surrounds as I want to get rid of that humongous TV ceiling mount I used for my R surround Mackie. I got some ideas in my head for that one.

Congratulations Yesfan! Now you know why I would never part with my La Scalas and why I love listening to music so much.

I bet the "congested sound" has more to do with the room, than the speaker.

Keep us posted and enjoy the ride,

Dennie

Cool! So when were these particular speakers made, do you know?

PaulyT said:
Cool! So when were these particular speakers made, do you know?

The serial numbers should tell me the exact date each speaker was manufactured, but the KG #.5 model line was made between 1994-97. They were replaced by the current Reference line (in its 5th version).

Dennie,

Your LaScalas are on a whole other level than my KGs. I love these speakers, but if I had yours, I wouldn't part with them either. I'd probably sell my Jeep before I would those.

Sweet! I really like the way those look!

By the wsy , What's the back story on you getting rid of the 5.5's?

Congrats yesfan! I'm happy you're enjoying your recent purchases. Please continue to post pics as you implement them into the basement... :handgestures-thumbup:

^^^ Sure will.

Got some questions for you all.

On the damaged cab, how easy would that be to repair? I'm thinking about getting some veneer for my new stands and thought about getting extra if it's an easy fix. The only problem I worry about is matching the stain.

There's also a pair of the KG3.5 towers I found. Same finish as my bookshelfs (my luck just keeps getting better), but what I like about the bookshelfs is the parts would be easier to find and replace. Driver wise, the 2.5 and 1.5 are identical. The 3.5 has an exponential horn and 8" woofer.

I think your right that matching the stain would be the hardest thing to do. Maybe you could restain them all?

I missed this thread. Congrats Yesfan! I agree with Batman....keep posting pics. Looks like you got a killer deal on those. I am sure your theater's gonna sound great.....now go splurge and get that HSU sub.

I still own Klipsch Reference speakers....use them in my family room.

Back