• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Going back to Klipsch........

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Got to looking around online, ok....fleaBay, and saw some speakers that looked promising last night. When I got up this morning, I saw the speakers I was interested were still there and still had their BIY price which I felt was reasonable. So I bit.

I found three Klipsch KG2.5 bookshelf speakers (one pair from a seller and one single from another). These are an MTM design and I used to have a black pair that I used when I still had my KG5.5 towers. Here's a pic from the Klipsch website.

t450_2feed27cd587dc79947fe7fe8cf9b3fc.jpg

I also found a pair of the smaller KG1.5s. I figured these would do nice as a set of surrounds. Pic below.

t450_90a1d5551e4b2ecd38b55ebc69b55074.jpg

All of them were listed as having the light oak finish (my towers were a medium oak). Total price was a few cents shy of $464 after shipping. I didn't think that was too bad, especially for a 5.0 setup, but the real verdict will be when I get them in and plug them up.

I also saw a listing for a pair of KG3.5 towers in the same finish. I seriously thought about it, but decided on the cheaper 1.5s. Besides if I buy a used tower, especially Klipsch, I would prefer the 5.5 I used to own. I should have kept those speakers.

Now to tell the wife..................

You suck! Great deal, looking forward to your review on how they sound.

At less than $100 a speaker, I'd say you made out pretty well!

Let us know how you like the new setup.

D

Very nice! :handgestures-thumbup:

I'd be very interested in your impression of the sound once you get them set up.

I wish you still had a pair of the Mackies to do a back-to-back comparison.

Towen7 said:
I wish you still had a pair of the Mackies to do a back-to-back comparison.

I did get to do a bit of comparing between my old KG2.5s and the Mackies before selling my Klipsch system. I think the Mackies added a bit more detail to the music, but I think their weak point (to me anyways) was the dynamics. That could be attributed to me living with horns for the 14 years I owned them.

On really dynamic recordings, like with some of my Miles Davis albums, the Mackies were a bit more forgiving. Listening to Miles on them, he didn't blast you out of your seat when he would hit those crescendos in his solos, especially when compared to my towers.

If these turn out to be a good deal (not any untold damage or defects), then I may just run these until the drivers' surrounds rot off. I think in the end I want a basic no frills HT and hopefully can claim one of the spare bedrooms for a two channel room when Brady gets a bit older. I love movies, but not as much as I enjoy listening to music. I can see myself spending twice as much on a stereo system as opposed to half that on a full blown 7.1 rig.

Yesfan70 said:
I think in the end I want a basic no frills HT and hopefully can claim one of the spare bedrooms for a two channel room ... I can see myself spending twice as much on a stereo system as opposed to half that on a full blown 7.1 rig.

I am right there with you. I know that my HT setup has some room to improve from a speaker/acoustic perspective but I'm not willing right now to do what it takes (primarily spend the money). I'm more of a movie watcher and I've never been one to just sit still and listen to music. But now that I have an unused room upstairs I'm thinking a 2 channel rig would be nice.

I'm hoping to convince the wife to move the back bedroom set to Brady's room when he outgrows his crib and will need a real bed.

This would allow me to make that bedroom the two channel room. Nothing in it but a pair of floor standing speakers (maybe also a sub), amp, pre-amp, and at the most a CD player and my Squeezebox. The walls would be littered with music posters and acoustic treatments. I envision it to look like a record store when you walk into it.

YF,
Congrats on what seems to be a pretty decent system at a good price. Hopefully the gods of ebay will be good to you and all of the items will arrive as new. So, as some of the others mentioned you get a big ole YOU SUCK from me too.

I still love my Klipsch CF-1's, especially for music. About a week ago I actually had the house to myself and got to sit back and listen to some tunes for about an hour. It was really nice.

I put in an order to monoprice for some in wall speaker wire, Ethernet jacks, and some wire ties for my gear rack. I'll be busy this week. I'm hoping to have everything done by the weekend, provided everything comes in early enough (ex: no Friday or Saturday delivery).

Congratulations Yesfan! :text-bravo:

If I had a nickel for everyone who came back to Klipsch, I'd be rich! You didn't mention what year the KG's were made?

If they are getting up there in the years, you may want to update the crossovers. If so, here it the link to Bob and Michael Crites website-----> http://www.critesspeakers.com/

Keep us posted,

Dennie

The KG #.5 line was from '94 to '97.

You mentioned updating the crossovers. What about drivers? I still have a pair of KG4.5 towers collecting dust. I bought them a few years back hoping to use the parts for a DIY bookshelf center speaker. If at least the drivers are available (and not too expensive) I may just try to get a set of woofers for them and put them back together.

Bob has Drivers also, I'm not sure about the KG line, but shoot him an email or give him a call. He's a great guy and a pleasure to do business with. If he dosen't carry them, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

Did you check out his website? Lots of goodies for Klipsch Speakers! :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Yesfan70 said:
The KG #.5 line was from '94 to '97.

You mentioned updating the crossovers. What about drivers? I still have a pair of KG4.5 towers collecting dust. I bought them a few years back hoping to use the parts for a DIY bookshelf center speaker. If at least the drivers are available (and not too expensive) I may just try to get a set of woofers for them and put them back together.

When I fried a tweeter in my KV-3 center channel recently, I called up Klipsch and they had it in stock. Gave them a credit card number and got it in the mail 3 days later.

Yesfan,
Sounds cool. I used to have KG 5.2s. They were a nice speaker.

I still need to find a place/use for my CF-3s. They're in a closet unused.

V

Voodoo said:
Yesfan,
Sounds cool. I used to have KG 5.2s. They were a nice speaker.

I still need to find a place/use for my CF-3s. They're in a closet unused.

V

Voo, what finish are your CF-3's?
Pm me if you watn so we dont hijack Yesfan's thread.

Those look really nice!

I have not really been a fan of Klipsch of speaker then again, I am not a fan of horns. Maybe its because I have never really had the pleasure of listening good ones. I have only heard the Klipsch models that Best Buy sells.

Deerhunter said:
........I have only heard the Klipsch models that Best Buy sells.

I 'like' those, but they are night and day compared to the Reference line on up. As far as the cheaper Klipschs go, the older Synergy line just seemed to be a huge drop in performance compared to the Reference speakers and the Heresy III (all I've heard form the Heritage line).

For now, 5.1 will be all I want. Maybe after the first of the year, I'll look for a set of towers. I would like to stay with the KG line and go back to what I had before, but those Reference towers with those copper finished woofers look really nice! I just wished they would offer more finishes besides black and cherry.

Back