• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

How to build amp measurement gear?

The software and computer should have little to do with it. Its really more about the audio interface. Your SET just doesn't have as clean a distortion spectra.

BTW: I was using an M-Audio interface (probably similar to yours) for that measurement.

Would anything beyond the second harmonic in either of those graphs be audible for enthusiasts like us?

jamhead said:
Would anything beyond the second harmonic in either of those graphs be audible for enthusiasts like us?

I can't lay down a blanket statement about audibility, but what I've been harping on for years is the importance of how harmonics which go well beyond the 5th at any amplitude, are going to make an amp sound worse than one which doesn't have distortion harmonics which reach beyond the 5th. In the case of DIYer's amp, the very strong 2nd harmonic will help to mask those higher harmonics, but the fact still remains that an amp which doesn't have those higher order harmonics is going to sound better than one which has harmonics missing past the 5th.

I would venture to guess that the sound quality of his amp vs mine, given the above, would probably be subtle or not audible to the average lay person. That strong second harmonic is saving his bacon.

soundhound said:
That strong second harmonic is saving his bacon.
Yum... :drool:

Well, the whole reason why I went into this was to see how mine can compare to soundhound's. Originally, I was planning on visiting SH's theater this year with my SET amp and do a side by side listening comparison but the funding aspect of such trip didn't turn out the way I hoped for. So I figured the next best thing is to see the graphs. Until I figure out how to tweak the amp to reduce the harmonics beyond 5th, I'll just have to live with what I have now. BTW, it sounds pretty good through my horn tweeter (500Hz and up).

Now, what freaked me out at the beginning was how Pauly timed this thread. It's as if he reads my mind. :shock:

Ha! I think a lot. It's YOU that actually does shit...

"... Ye can't have any pudding if ya don't eat yer meat!"

Back