• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

How to update firmware on an 885?

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Anyone know how to update firmware on the Onkyo PR-SC885? I'm looking around on google and onkyo(pro).com, but there's no info to be found on just how this is accomplished... USB? (edit: nevermind, it doesn't have a USB port) Ethernet? Is there a file to download somewhere?

I'm interested because in another thread, Huey mentioned there might be a firmware update to allow HDMI devices to play audio only (CD, SACD) without the TV being on, which apparently I can't do at all right now - unless the TV HDMI cable is disconnected completely.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but can you not connect the media player with a digital or analog cable (in addition to HDMI) and then just use the Audio Select function to select which input to use to listen to that component when playing cd's? i.e. use HDMI for DVD's & analog/stereo for CD's

This works fine on my TX-SR876........

Yeah, I could, if 1) I trusted the (cheap) player's DACs, and 2) I had enough analog outs for surround channels from SACD. I don't know if optical/spdif has sufficient bandwidth for full surround SACD... and I'm almost certain you can't stream DSD that way.

Anyway, using analog connectors just seems too old-fashioned. ;) Well ok if I had a high quality analog system like SH's, sure, but with a digital preamp it seems kinda bass-ackwards to go from digital (CD) to analog (RCA) and then back to digital again (preamp). I want just one D/A conversion at the end of the chain, before the main amp.

It is always best to keep it digital if the source is digital and the preamp is going to process everything digitally anyway for bass management, delays, and eq. HDMI allows for ultra resolution BDs and SACDs to be played in their native formats. So, I too use HDMI.

I solved the problem of needing the TV to be on by using a small PC monitor on the second HDMI output which is placed at the rear of the room with the preamp. I then wrote a macro on my Pronto remote so that when I press the "music disc" button I created it will set everything up, including switching the HDMI output from the main to the alternate.

Works like a champ everytime.

By the way, I don't need to control the power on the PC monitor because when the main HDMI out is selected on the preamp no signal goes to the monitor and it automatically goes into sleep mode, which on my monitor consumes less than 0.2 watts.

I love this solution because I still have the onscreen displat controls without having to turn my TV on and off when tweaking the sound.

PaulyT said:
Anyone know how to update firmware on the Onkyo PR-SC885? I'm looking around on google and onkyo(pro).com, but there's no info to be found on just how this is accomplished... USB? (edit: nevermind, it doesn't have a USB port) Ethernet? Is there a file to download somewhere?

I'm interested because in another thread, Huey mentioned there might be a firmware update to allow HDMI devices to play audio only (CD, SACD) without the TV being on, which apparently I can't do at all right now - unless the TV HDMI cable is disconnected completely.

Which firmware version are you currently using?

I have the zipped firmware files that can be emailed, also you'll need a RS232 cable and laptop to perform the upgrade.

:text-link:
Rope

Thanks, Rope! Ok apparently I'm at 1.07 now - is that the latest for the 885? Seems so from that AVS thread... So maybe there's nothing more I can do right now.

PaulyT said:
Thanks, Rope! Ok apparently I'm at 1.07 now - is that the latest for the 885? Seems so from that AVS thread... So maybe there's nothing more I can do right now.

I believe there's 1.08, but I'll have to double check that. Even if v1.08 does exists and you're looking for an out with your display being off while listening to SACD, it will not accomplish that. That's been one of my pet pevvs with Onkyo SC-885, however, I did manage to find a work around with my display in the power settings menu.

I'll check my files and Onkyo, verify which version I have updated to.

Rope

Latest Firmware v1.08

Main: 87 1.08/08414A
DSP 1st: SR8051 08214A
DSP 2nd: SR8052 07518A
DSP 3rd: SR8053 07820B

HDMI: 1.01/07706A
Video: 07606EI0924
Net: 1.00

Other great resources are Tee-man and Bats. They'll both have the inside track on the SC-885/DTC 9.8.

Rope

^ Tee was the last one to do a FW update on that unit Pauly, he performed that update at the Atlanta gtg a couple years ago...have you referenced the 885 thread at S&V?

Thanks, gents! Right - I should read the S&V thread, I forgot about that. Do either of you have a list of fixes/changes from 1.07 to 1.08? If it's not gonna affect the HDMI audio + TV off issue, then I probably won't bother.

^ Pauly, I'm sorry I do not. I rarely keeps tabs on FW updates unless I'm experiencing issues with a component or come across info on an update by chance...If you want to contact Tee, PM me and I'll get you his contact info, he's pretty much the authority on that pre/pro...

PaulyT said:
Thanks, gents! Right - I should read the S&V thread, I forgot about that. Do either of you have a list of fixes/changes from 1.07 to 1.08? If it's not gonna affect the HDMI audio + TV off issue, then I probably won't bother.

Thanks for making me think this entire issue through.

If you enter the Onkyo setup menu, select 7) Hardware Setup, 5)
A. HDMI Audio OFF
B. Lip Sync Enable
C. xvYCC Enable
D. Control Disable

I'm not familiar with your BD player's setup menu, although in the Oppo 83's menu there's a Device Setup Menu, which contains an option; HDMI CEC On/Off. I've set mine to OFF, and now I can play a CD or SACD without the display being powered up.

Razz -

If you're following this thread, the settings descibed above will eliminate the CEC004 error you see on your KURO at power up.

Rope

Thanks Rope, but no change for me with those settings. I'm pretty sure that's how it was when I started all this, but I had B+C off just now...

What exactly does the "lip sync" feature do, anyway?

PaulyT said:
What exactly does the "lip sync" feature do, anyway?
It syncs video and audio for dialog so that the lip movement on the screen matches dialog coming out of speaker. You have to set the delay time (ms) to adjust if the screen does not have auto sync that's compatible with the processor. Unlike older screens, the current crop of digital screens require slightly longer time to process and display the signal thus the need for sync feature.

The only substantial 1.08 firmware "fix" that I noted when I upgraded was the elimination of the so-called "DTS Bomb" which you can Google to obtain a full explanation of that problem.

Thanks, dralvin. And welcome to the forum!

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Does anyone have a list of exactly what the differences are between 1.07 and 1.08, if it's more than the dts thing? I have not yet done the update.

Pauly when I updated from my 1.06 to my 1.08 on my Onkyo 805, pretty much the only thing was the DTS bomb fix and it also minimized that loud clicking noise out of my rear channels when the sound source changed. Like when watching network TV and the show would go from Dolby Digital to stereo. It would take a second or two for the signal to jive back up and the rear channels would make this loud click noise. Once I got the firmware update I didnt get that anymore (but you can hear it slightly on the reciever itself)

Pauly, this is strictly from memory, but here goes. The reason Tee updated that unit was to get rid of the DTS bomb issue. I don't know what the differences are between 1.07 & 1.08, though.

John

PaulyT said:
.....I'm interested because in another thread, Huey mentioned there might be a firmware update to allow HDMI devices to play audio only (CD, SACD) without the TV being on, which apparently I can't do at all right now - unless the TV HDMI cable is disconnected completely.

If you have an unused HDMI port on the 885, can you just assign it to the CD input? I don't have a HDMI equipped receiver, but I'm assuming they are assignable like digital audio and component video inputs are.

That's what my first thought would be in your situation. If that doesn't work, then just get 3 pairs of audio cables for 5.1 SACD and use the multi-input on the 885.

Back