• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Joe Bonamassa

PaulyT said:
Ok I get irritated when people here seem to judge Joe on the basis of his vocals. But wow, ok I admit his voice was pretty damn rough in the early years... :scared-eek: He really has made a deliberate effort to improve in that regard. But still... judge Joe on the basis of his guitar, please! :handgestures-thumbup:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djj-_qKZ9ZM[/youtube]

For what it is worth (FWIW), I find Joe to be an incredibly talented guitar player that just doesn't speak to my soul like other guitar players have. Like so many well respected guitarists, Joe is clearly very talented, but it doesn't make my go "wow!" or start to cry or merely stop what I am doing to hear whatever he is playing. I get the same impact from Carlos Santana and Jeff Beck. I get that they are amazing guitar virtuosos, but they just don't make my spirit rise out of my body as I listen to them play.

Guitarists who move me are Pete Townshend, Steve Vai, Van Halen, Roger Hodgson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Steve Howe, Robert Fripp, Andrien Belew, Davod Gilmore, Frank Zappa, and many others. While some of those on my list are easy to impersonate, what they created with no one to credit for their imitation, makes me want to drop on my knees and cry form time to time. Of all my guitarist loves, Zappa, Vai, and Van Halen are my top three.

So, while I do truly appreciate intellectually what Joe bananarama does on the guitar, he doesn't make me want to stop the conversation to tell my friends to listen to what he can do. I do that with Zappa and the others. Heck, I play the beginning guitar solo to "Bloody Well Right" to my guitarist friends and dare them imitate what Roger did and few can do it with the emotion and class it deserves.

I dig it that you love the guy, and I won't begrudge you what you love, but it just doesn't give me a boner like the others I have come to adore.

I respect your lack of boner; maybe you need to see someone about that? :laughing:

I'm at least somewhat familiar with most of the others you mentioned. Agreed about Santana and Beck. I've seen a little of Vai, wasn't too impressed, but it was just one show, maybe I just haven't seen the right material. I like Zappa for sure, need to dive deeper into his music, I think I've only scratched the surface there and he takes a little ... getting used to.

And one of his guitars is named Principal Skinner...

13995552_10209828941025321_1208445651688803824_o.jpg

Interesting: though Joe left the band a few years ago and it pretty much fizzled out, it seems Black Country Communion is going to be reuniting for another album.

Joe is playing in MKE tonight at a small venue..........but I am in Diamond Bar, CA.

I really wanted to see his show!

I was feeling bluesey and decided to surf Amazon Prime to scratch that itch and goddammit ... look who they placed above ... ABOVE... the gods Stevie Ray and BB King.

I guess I'm going to have to break down and listen to some Joe, which I've been putting off just to spite his #1 fan.

2F6AEAEC-A228-4171-A91C-154C309E5754_zpsgyf77z6w.png

Ok sorry for all that, my tantrum is over and I'm all grown up now. Post whatever the fuck you want in here.

BTW Joe has a new video out, if you're interested in 70's era British blues. (Yeah this is a New England American boy playing covers of old British blues covers/interpretations of Chicago blues which are descended from Mississippi blues... it's a little esoteric. Early Led Zepplin, Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart, etc.)

PRD75519_450.jpg

Back