• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Mandalorian discussion thread!

Let's not fool ourselves. The strict "don't remove the helmet" rule is a literary device to make a character seem mysterious and to make seeing the character's actual face a dramatic event.

That's it.

We can set that aside for the sake of the story and accept that it's a cultural thing but it borders on ridiculous to ask the audience to ignore the impracticality. They could have made it clear that the helmet can’t be taken off in the presence of theirs but, no. They’re making it a big deal that it’s EVER off by the free will of the wearer … (I bet you a soda that they’re setting up a scenario that it gets taken/knocked off by an opponent later this season)

The Mandalorian upgrading his armor wasn't a problem despite getting a new helmet?
Equipment in the Star Wars universe breaks all the time but we're to believe the system in a Mandalorian helmet never do?
Hygiene?
Nutrition?
How does Din Djrin have short hair and trimmed mustache?
Children get helmeted when they're young so the helmets somehow resizes itself as they grow?

I get it. Culture is central to the character(s). This is just a dumb and lazy way to express that.

All that said I’ve been more than willing to look past it when it was just an occasional reference but so far season three has been ALL about the damned helmet. If the over/under on how many times the word “helmet“ gets used this season is 1,000 … I’ll take the over.
The only thing more foolish for them to do, is for them to take a vow of silence. :nyah:

I think you're over thinking this. We're talking about a made up alien civilization, and I'm just going to enjoy the story.

You’re citing KOTOR and I’m overthinking it?
Did you read the first link I posted? They talk about the connection between KOTOR and the Mandalorian. So no, I'm not overthinking it all, just picking up what the writers are putting down. And if I remember correctly, you can play with the Dark Saber in the old video game. I'm betting some of what we have seen with Mandalore, is pulled directly from that game.

Did you read the first link I posted? They talk about the connection between KOTOR and the Mandalorian. So no, I'm not overthinking it all, just picking up what the writers are putting down. And if I remember correctly, you can play with the Dark Saber in the old video game. I'm betting some of what we have seen with Mandalore, is pulled directly from that game.

The ability say "whatever" and move on is underapprecited. But hey ... making sure you have the last word on everything is cool too.

The ability say "whatever" and move on is underapprecited. But hey ... making sure you have the last word on everything is cool too.
Wait, what? You're the one who said it was a stretch to tie Mandalorian and KOTOR, and I told you about a link that shows there is a tie-in, and I'm the one getting the last word? Whatever

I thought we were just having a conversation, but then you had to and be that guy. Whatever

Let's not fool ourselves. The strict "don't remove the helmet" rule is a literary device to make a character seem mysterious and to make seeing the character's actual face a dramatic event.

That's it.

We can set that aside for the sake of the story and accept that it's a cultural thing but it borders on ridiculous to ask the audience to ignore the impracticality. They could have made it clear that the helmet can’t be taken off in the presence of theirs but, no. They’re making it a big deal that it’s EVER off by the free will of the wearer … (I bet you a soda that they’re setting up a scenario that it gets taken/knocked off by an opponent later this season)

The Mandalorian upgrading his armor wasn't a problem despite getting a new helmet?
Equipment in the Star Wars universe breaks all the time but we're to believe the system in a Mandalorian helmet never do?
Hygiene?
Nutrition?
How does Din Djrin have short hair and trimmed mustache?
Children get helmeted when they're young so the helmets somehow resizes itself as they grow?

I get it. Culture is central to the character(s). This is just a dumb and lazy way to express that.

All that said I’ve been more than willing to look past it when it was just an occasional reference but so far season three has been ALL about the damned helmet. If the over/under on how many times the word “helmet“ gets used this season is 1,000 … I’ll take the over.
It is almost eerie how much our minds notice the same things...I caught myself thinking "they must get some pretty bad skin rashes if they never take that helmet off" and various other thoughts associated with the stupidity of that practice.

We should have a separate thread about all the stupid things (I mean really unnecessarily stupid) that the SW universe forces us to accept.

My first entry, the Death Star!

The Death Star is unnecessarily stupid because the first one had a hole (exhaust port) big enough to drop a bomb into.

The second Death Star (presumably built bigger and better) had a hole in it big enough to fly ships into.

The third Death Star was so big you could jump from hyperspace into its atmosphere.

It almost like they are building these things with the designed purpose to make them easier to destroy.

It is almost eerie how much our minds notice the same things...I caught myself thinking "they must get some pretty bad skin rashes if they never take that helmet off" and various other thoughts associated with the stupidity of that practice.

We should have a separate thread about all the stupid things (I mean really unnecessarily stupid) that the SW universe forces us to accept.

My first entry, the Death Star!

The Death Star is unnecessarily stupid because the first one had a hole (exhaust port) big enough to drop a bomb into.

The second Death Star (presumably built bigger and better) had a hole in it big enough to fly ships into.

The third Death Star was so big you could jump from hyperspace into its atmosphere.

It almost like they are building these things with the designed purpose to make them easier to destroy.
Well, the second one only had that hole because it was still under construction.

Still, you're not wrong. Star Wars has always given great weight to the Rule of Cool. Why does the Millennium Falcon have the cockpit over on the side? Because it looks cool. Why does the X Wing change the wing geometry for battle? Cool. Why laser swords? Because they're AWESOME. Why Jar Jar? Well, because cocaine is a helluva drug. But Carrie Fisher liked it, and she was cool.

Star Trek has its technobabble and tachyon rays. Star Wars just handwaves things because they're cool and dares people to care (the die hard fans will retcon it anyway). Space wizards fighting with laser swords and spaceships exploding? What's not to like? Well, yeah... there's Jar Jar and The Last Jedi, but still.

OK I admit I was really confused at the beginning of season three why Grogu was back with Mando, I kind of forgot about those few connecting episodes in Boba Fett (which was otherwise a pretty forgettable show Imho)

W.r.t. helmets… we learn in S3E4 that you can take off your helmet to eat, as long as you’re alone. So these restrictions aren’t THAT absolute.

W.r.t. helmets… we learn in S3E4 that you can take off your helmet to eat, as long as you’re alone. So these restrictions aren’t THAT absolute.
I think that was addressed earlier in the series, and how else would they eat without taking the helmet off?

OK I admit I was really confused at the beginning of season three why Grogu was back with Mando, I kind of forgot about those few connecting episodes in Boba Fett (which was otherwise a pretty forgettable show Imho)
I'm having somewhat of hard time as well keeping everything straight, especially with the time lines. At least Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Ohsoka and Skeleton Crew will all be in the same time frame, and probably have crossovers as Boba Fett did.

Ok I gotta say, I enjoyed the hell out of S3:E5
I enjoyed it as well, especially for, well I'll put that in a spoiler so as not to ruin it for anybody else.

Holy shit! That was Zeb! Zeb from Star Wars Rebels in a live action show! That was awesome! I will say it was a stretch to make the pirate out of sea weed, but it is what it is. And maybe it's because Andor was so good, but this season just doesn't seem as good, and if the high points continue to be introducing know characters, that's probably gone get old pretty quick, but they have done a good job with it so far.

Ok I gotta say, I enjoyed the hell out of S3:E5
Ditto!

Now that I am caught up...did anyone else wonder at the time "wow they just took one of the pirates from The Pirates Of The Caribbean and stuck him in Star Wars"?

This seems like a watershed episode where many storylines will trace back to Navaro and the mandalorians.

I probably missed the backstory but it just occurred to me watching EP:5 that it's kind of strange that Din is devout about following "the way" but wasn't in hiding with the rest of the tribe at the beginning of season 1. Or were they in hiding Because Captain Teva knew exactly where to find them in this episode.

What in the hell was last weeks episode? I saw an article that said it jumped the shark, and after seeing it, I believe it. With such a short season, that episode really didn't mean much to the series, if anything at all, other than the bit about the dark saber.

Back