• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Mandalorian discussion thread!

And this is a little tangential but what the hell is the deal with spice? Is this supposed to be a deliberate nod to Dune? I don’t understand how this is part of this Star Wars universe…

And this is a little tangential but what the hell is the deal with spice? Is this supposed to be a deliberate nod to Dune? I don’t understand how this is part of this Star Wars universe…
It's a long standing feature of the SW universe.

Spice is the name for a generic drug, in the EU it's described as something like a hallucinogen. Jabba was a major spice distributor and that's the load that Han Solo had dumped prior to A New Hope (which is why Jabba had a price on Han). Spice is mined on several planets, but the highest grade (glitterstim) is from the prison planet Kessel (referred to in Solo) and in demand throughout the galaxy.

Huh. Still seems to me that Lucas is ripping off Dune… it’s too obvious a reference, and Dune came first (by a decade at least). I wonder if there’s some hidden back story there?

Plus Arrakis being a desert planet like Tatooine…. It can’t just be coincidence.

Huh. Still seems to me that Lucas is ripping off Dune… it’s too obvious a reference, and Dune came first (by a decade at least). I wonder if there’s some hidden back story there?

To be fair … it gets a passing mention (Luke thinks his father was a navigator on a spice freighter, 3PO is afraid of being sent to the spice mines as punishment) in the original trilogy. Spice didn’t become the McGuffin that it has until the EU when the writers needed a bad guys to have a reason to be considered bad guys.

Lucas ripped off EVERYBODY. Dude was a real equal opportunity plagiarist. But he was entertaining. At first.

I’m a huge Star Wars fan but never got even half way through season one of this, mainly due to Disney jamming in a character just for the toy end of it.

I’m a huge Star Wars fan but never got even half way through season one of this, mainly due to Disney jamming in a character just for the toy end of it.
Ehh, they've always done that. It's how we got Ewoks.

Surprised nobody is talking about the new season yet. Watched the first episode last night, and thought it was pretty good. Visually looked stunning at times. They must have a bigger budget than Marvel shows like She-Hulk, although I did see a couple of times where it almost looked like stop motion animation, but that may have just been a minor streaming hiccup. Glad the show is back, and hard to believe it's been almost 3 years since the show has been on. Hopefully it's not another 3 years before we get season 4.

^ I’ll give it a couple more weeks as we usually like to sit and watch for 2-3 hours at a time.

Agreed, seems like a solid start to the season.

Back