• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Mandalorian discussion thread!

What always disappoints me about SW in general is that they’re frequently making things up as they go along. In the sense that prior to the original trilogy, a massive library of source material didn’t exist, a la Harry Potter, GoT and so on, and I think particularly with the prequels and sequels to the OT it glaringly shows…..So anytime they try expand on popular characters from the movies they wind up ignoring movie based canon, retconning, creating massive plot holes and a overall feeling of disjointedness (if that’s a word) at least for me. On the heels of the prequel trilogy, this phenomenon turned me from a super fan into a more general fan with a more indifferent arms-length interest. For more original characters I think things inherently feel more fresh. The original plan was to have a Boba Fett movie and maybe even an Obi-Wan movie before ”Solo” bombed. If they hadn’t had a Boba Fett movie in development I think The Mandalorian would’ve been a Boba Fett series. Subsequently, The Mandalorian gave them more creative freedoms while giving fans a a character who looks just as cool as Boba Fett. I think once The Mandalorian became so popular in its own right, the next logical step is to re-introduce Boba Fett and take it from there….that’s my 2¢.
That makes some sense but the biggest problem is the only connection between Fett and Mando is the actual type of armor. Fett is not an actual Mandalorian and has no structure or creed that associates with them. Did we ever know how Jango got the armor?

Ok they had to work kinda hard to make Boba Fett into a good guy via character transformation,
We are using 'good guy' pretty cavalierly, after all he is the head of the local crime syndicate and is killing people with some regularity. Just cause he let a wookie off the hook doesn't make him Martin Luther all of a sudden. :tonguewink:

We are using 'good guy' pretty cavalierly, after all he is the head of the local crime syndicate and is killing people with some regularity. Just cause he let a wookie off the hook doesn't make him Martin Luther all of a sudden. :tonguewink:
To be fair ... to my recollections he's only killing "bad guys" and even then only in self defense or in the pursuit of a noble cause.

One thing that has bothered me about Boba Fett is some of the fight scenes seem like they are moving in slow motion or like they are rehearsing the choreography before the actual shoot. Especially the scene where the assassins try to take Fett after his visit to the mayor.
I thought that sequence was the worst of the 4 episodes so far, thankfully they got that out of the way early. :D

Yeah the scene with the "space vespa" chase was kinda painful, effects-wise.

That makes some sense but the biggest problem is the only connection between Fett and Mando is the actual type of armor. Fett is not an actual Mandalorian and has no structure or creed that associates with them. Did we ever know how Jango got the armor?
I’m talking more about Star Wars movies as a whole in more general terms. I think the Disney + stuff so far is pretty good but a larger convergence of past series is coming with Ahsoka, Obi-wan and I’m sure other future projects.

You guys watch the last 2 episodes of Boba Fett?

Really great stuff here. I started watching key episodes of the Clone Wars again.

I have to admit ... after episode 4 I was ready to bail but episodes 5 and 6 brought me back.

Not sure why this is called "Boba Fett" when this is really "Mandalorian part 3" but whatever... still good.

W.r.t ep 6 of BF… my thought was, verbatim, “ it’s a stupid fucking choice why would he make him choose?“ And based on Star Wars movies seven through nine it seems like the choice he made was pretty obvious…

Based on everything that we’ve seen of Luke, his forcing Grogu ( OMG I still hate that name) to choose against personal attachments, compared to Leia, Han, whatever, it’s so totally hypocritical I can’t understand it. It actually kind of pisses me off…

W.r.t ep 6 of BF… my thought was, verbatim, “ it’s a stupid fucking choice why would he make him choose?“ And based on Star Wars movies seven through nine it seems like the choice he made was pretty obvious…

To me It’s not obvious at all
He could have chosen to stay but somehow escaped the Knights of Ren.
Or, considering Luke’s history he may not actually expect HIS students to NOT be willing to abando all attachments.

Well, I agree episodes 5 & 6 were stark improvements. And it basically took two The Mandalorian set up episodes to get peoples attention. The creative team DID imo manage to make Boba Fett uncool. It’s a shame, the writing and story are subpar and Temuera Morrison is not capable of being a lead. I don’t dislike the actor in other roles he’s played, but he’s always been in supporting roles and he’s not that interesting. He‘s pretty lucky he was in Episode 2 or he would've never gotten this gig. Hopefully something actually involving BF happens and turns around pretty quickly.

I like the attempts at being creative. I like that Mando has a new ship although I am sure it will not last long. After all how is he going to transport his bounty in that single seat starfighter. I loved how they 'souped' up the performance of the Naboo ship!

What I didn't like was how they just unimaginably, without logic or contextual sense slapped on that oversized air intake protruding out of the 'hood' like it was a '57 Chevy. In the closeups they even had it vibrating like it was sitting on an engine block.

I guess next we will see monster truck tires on a land speeder!

I thought the “motorcycles” in the 3rd or 4th episodes and the chase scene later in whichever episode, was some of the worst stuff I’ve seen in live-action SW.

I thought the “motorcycles” in the 3rd or 4th episodes and the chase scene later in whichever episode, was some of the worst stuff I’ve seen in live-action SW.
Yeah, I'm really trying not to say those parts out loud.

I liked @PaulyT calling them 'space vespas' and I did have a though flash through my head that they are about to introduce the Power Rangers into the SW universe.

Only seven episodes?!?!

And okay ... maybe the choice was more obvious than I thought.

Yeah, I'm really trying not to say those parts out loud.

I liked @PaulyT calling them 'space vespas' and I did have a though flash through my head that they are about to introduce the Power Rangers into the SW universe.
We're way behind on this and just watched that episode last night. Man, that was cringey. It looked like the "plucky teenage spies taking on the man" type of crap. Even the special effects weren't that good. It ended up looking like a low speed chase where they were knocking crap over just because they could. Lame.

I'm really wondering why the quality of new Star Wars stuff is so uneven. When Mandalorian was awesome, it was the best of Star Wars. Rogue One was great. Then there was a bunch of so-so stuff like Book of Boba Fett, Solo, and some of Mandalorian. Then there was the new movies and the kiddie cycle chase in BoBF. If this is what we can expect out of Kathleen Kennedy running the Star Wars IP, it's past time they gave her walking papers. She's not even phoning it in... she's mailing it in. And doing it postage due.

I have voiced my theory on what the strategy was for the Boba Fett character, in short I think The Mandalorian unintentionally pulled the rug out from under him. This series essentially is one big filler episode….

Back