• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Most honest 3.5 minutes in HBO history

Statement one:

"There is absolutely no evidence the US is the greatest country in the world"

You guys are telling me there is absolutely no evidence, none at all, that US is the greatest country in the world?

Practically every society in history thought that they were living in the worst of times and that that the glory days had past just a generation before.

Towen7 said:
Practically every society in history thought that they were living in the worst of times and that that the glory days had past just a generation before.

And where are those societies today.

From a historical perspective there is a cycle, simplistically put:

rise, dominance, decline, disintegration or annilation

There is no reason to think that over a period of time the same will not happen to us.

We have rested on the laurels of our Grandfathers and our Fathers for too long. We have become soft and weak, for having nursed on the teet of complacency. We are no longer the Great Nation we once were, but rather a nation of whataboutme's!

So what if it's scripted, it's still some of the best writing and Jeff Daniels did a great job delivering the lines.

Dumb and Dummer is a CLASSIC!

I can't understand why this clip is being put down so much. The points that are stated are spot on. America being the greatest country or not is just an opinion, not fact. The script is pointing out facts, and with those facts you draw your own conclusion.

The dialog ill admit is too hip too unnatural almost too intelligent Sorkin did the same thing with his writing in The West Wing. But the message I think is correct unless America get its stuff together we are in decline. When a Nation whose elected president can sit back and pick and choose who is going to die by drone and has set forth drones to spy on its own people ya Id say the ideals and morals of our Nation is in decline. This and many other things tells me we are in decline once a Country has lost its morals its on the down slide but its not irreversible we can be right back on top if we can get past the whining and roll or sleeves up and get back to work and quit expected something for nothing.

I just wish politicians would talk like this and not constantly force feed us bullshit. I would love to see a little blunt honesty from them. Seriously in all my years voting and I have been torn at times this is the first time I've seriously thought of voting Liberal.

MatthewB said:
I just wish politicians would talk like this and not constantly force feed us bullshit. I would love to see a little blunt honesty from them. Seriously in all my years voting and I have been torn at times this is the first time I've seriously thought of voting Liberal.
Matt, I'm kinda in the same boat, although I won't say I vote "liberal", but rather against Republicans (I'd been a registered R most of my adult life; they no longer are the conservative party, they're the party of the Wealthy). (In my Humble Opinion). :angelic-green:
There have been three politicians who've kinda struck me as "off the bullshit" list: Chris Christie, Rahm Immanuel, and Mike Bloomberg. They've all done things I don't agree with, but they stand by their decisions and won't back down.
I like that. :eusa-clap:

That more people around the country seem to be more upset that they are missing a few TV channels or that TomKat are breaking up rather than the fact that the US is 29th in world infant mortality rankings leads me to believe the US is no longer the greatest country in the world.

It also doesn't say much about us supposedly having the greatest healthcare in the world.

mzpro5 said:
That more people around the country seem to be more upset that they are missing a few TV channels or that TomKat are breaking up rather than the fact that the US is 29th in world infant mortality rankings leads me to believe the US is no longer the greatest country in the world.

It also doesn't say much about us supposedly having the greatest healthcare in the world.

this, what people care about now is pretty screwed up. I mean look, it takes a fictional show to stir up conversation about it (not that I like thinking about how helpless I feel against this system) People honestly seem to care about politics and what goes on via misguided news and Facebook memes. Most of us made it through the financial bomb of 08...we won't be so lucky for the next one and that will become the straw, at least that's what I think. When the rules in gvt change so that big business wants no part of being involved in it is when we'll start to see changes. Until then it will be the likes of Romney as a presidential nominee.

-B- said:
mzpro5 said:

this, what people care about now is pretty screwed up. I mean look, it takes a fictional show to stir up conversation about it (not that I like thinking about how helpless I feel against this system) People honestly seem to care about politics and what goes on via misguided news and Facebook memes. Most of us made it through the financial bomb of 08...we won't be so lucky for the next one and that will become the straw, at least that's what I think. When the rules in gvt change so that big business wants no part of being involved in it is when we'll start to see changes. Until then it will be the likes of Romney as a presidential nominee.

I agree on the next financial meltdown being the last straw.

What Ill never get is why in 08 the American public fell so hard for Obama he didn't have any experience and did nothing except vote present he never distinguished himself in any office he held. All he did was make some stirring speeches aided by a teleprompter and a big smile.

Yet Romney is instantly written off as not worthy when his accomplishments seem 2 fold more than Obama. No he isnt my 1st choice and a candidate but Ill listen to what he has to say and decide in November.

Srvy said:

What Ill never get is why in 08 the American public fell so hard for Obama he didn't have any experience and did nothing except vote present he never distinguished himself in any office he held. All he did was make some stirring speeches aided by a teleprompter and a big smile.

Yet Romney is instantly written off as not worthy when his accomplishments seem 2 fold more than Obama. No he isnt my 1st choice and a candidate but Ill listen to what he has to say and decide in November.

I hope you are not implying that Obama should be held primarily responsible for our decline. The changes we are seeing take decades, not 4 years, and no one person can be held responsible for it.

I am not saying Obama has done much of anything to help it but he can hardly carry the blame for causing it.

And regarding Nov. I don't know who I will vote for but it won't be Obama.

Srvy said:
Consider his predecessor: the least charismatic, the least charming, the least articulate and the least presidential president we've ever had (in my recent memory). After 8 years of "Amerca, terrism and nukler", the voting public was clamoring for someone who could speak. The other option was a 70-something, Paul Simon looking doofus with jowls the size of grapefruits.

mzpro5 said:
Srvy said:

I hope you are not implying that Obama should be held primarily responsible for our decline. The changes we are seeing take decades, not 4 years, and no one person can be held responsible for it.

I am not saying Obama has done much of anything to help it but he can hardly carry the blame for causing it.

That narrows it down.

Rope

So you think the mind of a venture capitalist is what we need? He's a profit guy, a business man and I'm sure his path to politics had more to do with favorable connections and hands on in the type of legislature that can benefit his people than it did with being a leader and one concerned about the little man. I've seen nothing from him to convince me he's anything more than he appears to be. Pandering to southern states with that "I like grits" shit, he's faker than half the tits in Orange County. I don't want our global image to be that of him, we have enough problems. If he was a D then srvy would probably hate every hair on his head and lie from his mouth. Obama is not perfect, but I don't think his intentions are of anything but good. This government doesn't work, he's not to blame.....one man can only do so much.

Zing said:
Srvy said:
Consider his predecessor: the least charismatic, the least charming, the least articulate and the least presidential president we've ever had (in my recent memory). After 8 years of "Amerca, terrism and nukler", the voting public was clamoring for someone who could speak. The other option was a 70-something, Paul Simon looking doofus with jowls the size of grapefruits.
That was the biggest laugh I've had all week! :laughing-rolling:

Rope said:
mzpro5 said:
Srvy said:

That narrows it down.

Rope
For me at this time the choices are Romney, Gary Johnson or Knoojuan.

-B- said:
So you think the mind of a venture capitalist is what we need? He's a profit guy, a business man and I'm sure his path to politics had more to do with favorable connections and hands on in the type of legislature that can benefit his people than it did with being a leader and one concerned about the little man. I've seen nothing from him to convince me he's anything more than he appears to be. Pandering to southern states with that "I like grits" shit, he's faker than half the tits in Orange County. I don't want our global image to be that of him, we have enough problems. If he was a D then srvy would probably hate every hair on his head and lie from his mouth. Obama is not perfect, but I don't think his intentions are of anything but good. This government doesn't work, he's not to blame.....one man can only do so much.

:roll: Typical

Zing said:
Srvy said:

Bush is gone he wont be running again what has he got to do with this election? Obama has done nothing in 3.5 years his only campaign strategy is to run on class warfare thats it zilch he has got nothing.

Sad thing is the Repukes cant bring up a candidate that hits home with the public this should be a landslide but instead there running neck and neck in the polls. Myself im not sold on Romney but anyone but Obama so thats my vote im sure. As much as id like to write in or vote for a 3rd party I will not because that hurts chances to get this failure out of office.

Srvy said:
Bush is gone he wont be running again what has he got to do with this election?
:think:

I didn't say or imply W had anything to do with this election!

Your earlier comment (that I quoted) was that you couldn't understand why the public fell so hard for Obama. I offered my opinion as to why the public fell so hard for Obama by referencing the president who preceded Obama.

I'll try to use smaller words next time.

Back