• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My OLD Oppo's sick; my NEW Oppo's SICK!

garypf said:
Turns out I had a wrong setting in Audio Processing settings. I had it set to DTS-Neo6, which downsamples everything to 48kHZ.

That makes sense since Neo6 is a matrixed surround sound process. But do you recall setting an option to ouput everything in Neo6 format or was it a default?

Regardless, I'm stoked that all is well.

Towen7 said:
garypf said:
Turns out I had a wrong setting in Audio Processing settings. I had it set to DTS-Neo6, which downsamples everything to 48kHZ.

That makes sense since Neo6 is a matrixed surround sound process. But do you recall setting an option to ouput everything in Neo6 format or was it a default?

Regardless, I'm stoked that all is well.

The default value for DTS Neo:6 Mode is off...

I ran across this BDP-103 review today:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-...yers-reviews/oppo-bdp-103-blu-ray-player.html
It mentioned something that I must've misunderstood from the Oppo's manual: The HDMI1 output uses the best video circuitry (which I understood) but only the HDMI2 output sends out the raw DSD (SACD) code to the receiver (which I didn't understand). I have my Oppo's HDMI1's output connected to my Yamaha receiver, which outputs HDMI to my TV.
So, now I have a conundrum.
With my current setup, my Oppo is processing DSD into HDMI, sending it to my Yamaha, which converts the HDMI into analog, and out to my speakers.
Were I to use my Oppo's HDMI2 output, then raw DSD would leave the Oppo, get processed by the Yamaha to analog, and out to my speakers.

Now, I have no doubt that my 2012 Oppo converts DSD better than my 2010 Yamaha. However, by going that route, the musical data goes through two conversions (DSD to HDMI to analog) versus one (DSD to analog) were I to use the HDMI2 output of the Oppo (in this instance the HDMI2 output isn't sending HDMI, its sending DSD). My particular setup doesn't allow for a convenient A/B comparison, especially living alone. I've been perfectly happy with the sound of SACDs the way I have it set up now, but wonder, could it be better?
Anyone here have an idea?

HDMI is not a format, it's just a transport. I think it probably doesn't matter where the DSD is decoded, whether you send an actual DSD stream to the receiver or whether it's first converted to (I would assume) multichannel PCM by the Oppo and sent that way to the receiver. It should be essentially lossless either way, and I really doubt whether you'd hear any difference at all.

:text-bump: again.

Got my -83 back this morning. They claimed it was only a dirty lens (guess that disk cleaner didn't do a good job) so they cleaned it, updated the firmware (I thought it was up-to-date), tested everything, and sent it back, gratis! Can't say enough about Oppo as a company.

:text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

Botch said:
:text-bump: again.

Got my -83 back this morning. They claimed it was only a dirty lens (guess that disk cleaner didn't do a good job) so they cleaned it, updated the firmware (I thought it was up-to-date), tested everything, and sent it back, gratis! Can't say enough about Oppo as a company.

:text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

Pfft. It's so good there's a song about them...

OPPO GANGNAM STYLE!!!!

Back