• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My OLD Oppo's sick; my NEW Oppo's SICK!

Re: My Oppo's being cranky

mzpro5 said:
Botch said:
:text-bump:

Well, Dennie, when we finally meet at a GTG I owe you a beer, heck, a dinner. That lens-cleaning disk did the trick, my Oppo is working perfectly now! :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

I tried it once the other night, and it didn't help. Today's my off-Friday, so I've been contemplating what to do, the new Home Theater featured the new Oppo BDP-103 on the cover, they raved about it, I didn't want to be without a player for a couple weeks, my current player is 3 years old (with heavy use), I've never had good luck with repaired electronics, the the new Oppo had wifi and an MHL input (so I could use the new Roku-on-a-Stick), and I decided to buy the 103 and the Roku, send the -83 back to get it repaired, and then either sell it or add it to my basement system.
I decided to try the lens-cleaning disk one more time, and this time it apparently got the lens clean enough (kinda like Drano, you maybe need a second dose). I realize it may only continue to work a short time longer, but I'm holding off on buying the -103 and enjoying my AIX blurays right now.
Again, thank you! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Interesting. I won't get mine until Monday, chose the delayed shipping and got some Amazon movie credits.

Nice to know it may take multiple "washes" to get it clean. I still have no idea how putting a disc in the machine cleans the lens. FM.

There are brushes on the disk that clean the optical sensor, which looks like the end of toslink cable. I could see how dust could settle on there and interfere with the laser, especially on a bluray.

Well crap. :|

Its freaking out again. I'm ordering the BDP-103. And, since its a "new beginning", I'll have a 4 x 6 cake of tofu on a white plate.

(one year from now I'll read that and wonder WTF I was talking about... :mrgreen: )

Botch said:
And, since its a "new beginning", I'll have a 4 x 6 cake of tofu on a white plate.

(one year from now I'll read that and wonder WTF I was talking about... :mrgreen: )

I'm waaaaay ahead of you. I have no idea what your talking about right now.

Towen7 said:
Botch said:
And, since its a "new beginning", I'll have a 4 x 6 cake of tofu on a white plate.

I'm waaaaay ahead of you. I have no idea what your talking about right now.

:text-+1:

Botch said:
I'm ordering the BDP-103.

I'm crazy jealous. The Sammy in the HT has been wonky lately and I'd love to see what the BDP-103 can do with the video/audio from some of my other sources which don't look as great as a BD source on a 110" screen.

http://www.theaudioannex.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=889&start=1170

Jomari's post about 2/3rds of the way down... :happy-smileygiantred:

That, my friend is why i love foreign flicks. the disadvantage tho on our end is that we cant really 'understand' certain scenes unless we are in a way connected to them by history or by culture.

Great example is.... Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.

When she comes out of prision, the first gift given to her was a tofu cake. plain ol square tofu cake, about 6 inches by 4, presented on a white plate.

for most this means nothing, and would spark a question as to why of all things right?

Simple. Once you get out of jail the person presenting you the tofu cake is giving you the gift of 'new life'. Tofu is considered a symbol of simplicity, plain and new. Thus getting out of prision you get the opportunity to stay in society with a newfound outlook.

Botch said:
Well crap. :|

Its freaking out again. I'm ordering the BDP-103. And, since its a "new beginning", I'll have a 4 x 6 cake of tofu on a white plate.

That's ok. We are not supposed to know what we talked about during happy hour. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Got a knock on the door last night at 8:30, The Man In The Brown Shorts was standing in 26-degree air and handed me this:

BDP-103-refl.jpg

:banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

Read thru most of the manual last night, installed it in the rack just now. I wanted to take a photo of it in my rack, but you can't read the "BDP-103" lettering on my player at all, like you can see on the lower left in the Oppo site photo above, so you get the Oppo site photo.

First Impressions: Unpacking a new piece of Oppo gear is just like Christmas (actually this IS my Christmas!) :handgestures-thumbup: Everything was packed very tightly (I stupidly ordered this thing right during the Xmas UPS rush :doh: ). I just unplugged the power and HDMI cords from the old player, noted I needed just a bit more length on the HDMI and fortunately had enough slack. After sliding in the new unit, with the WiFi receiver (included) plugged in, I then realized they've gone to a grounded power cord, so I had to snake that thru, no problem.
After dusting, I sat in the Master's Chair™ and put the batts into the remote, powered her up, then hit the Eject button. It didn't work, I couldn't see the drawer (black against black) but didn't hear it slide out. It did slide out, just really quietly, silent compared to my old Oppo. I loaded one of my new AIX disks (Neurosis, by AC Timba Jazz, a smoking quintet) and it loaded silently and booted up much faster than my older unit, nice! Pic and sound are impeccable, although I couldn't tell you if its better than my old unit (supposedly the video is better). One thing I discovered in the last couple days is that they've figured out how to make these players run cooler, and they no longer have an internal fan! I don't listen at loud levels very often, and I could hear the -83's fan kicking in and out, now that's gone, yay!

I decided to stick with my old Roku unit, and not get the Roku-on-a-Stick that could use the MHL port on the new Oppo. The Stick didn't need an A/C adapter, which would've saved me $8/year in electricity, but wouldn't have made up the cost in energy savings in my lifetime. Secondly, the only MHL port is on the front of the Oppo, and the Roku-on-a-Stick sticking out was not only vulnerable to clumsy tall people but, being purple, would've had an obscene, "glad-to-see-you!" look that I didn't want on the front of my rack.

After the Xmas shipping rush is done I'll send the -83 back to Oppo for repair, still haven't decided whether to keep it for my basement system or sell it.

I also just learned that my one complaint about AIX Records is unfounded. Their recordings are mixed so it sounds like you're sitting in the middle of the ensemble (they usually record sitting in a circle on the stage of a good-sounding hall). Clear separation that way, but I prefer the mix to sound like I'm sitting in the hall with the entire band in front of me (so its mostly reflections/'verb coming through the rear channels). Well, the disks include an "Audience" 5.1 mix, I never clicked on that because I don't like audience noise in most cases. Well, duh Botch, there is no audience! That mix is from the Audience position, and is exactly what I wanted! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Oppo had transport failures with the 83. When they released the 93, it sported a new transport designed from the ground up. According to Oppo and various reviews the video processing in the 103 top notch, which lead them to install an HDMI IN for processing other video sources.

Happy viewing/listening!

My 83 is still going strong (knock on wood).

Rope

Rope said:
Oppo had transport failures with the 83. When they released the 93, it sported a new transport designed from the ground up. According to Oppo and various reviews the video processing in the 103 top notch, which lead them to install an HDMI IN for processing other video sources.
Good to hear, hopefully mine can be fixed (maybe even for free as Jeff had mentioned).

Tonight I boxed up my old BDP-83, am going to send it off to Oppo for repair after the Xmas rush. I started to drop my DVD-A copy of Steely Dan's Gaucho into the box, because the -83 always clipped off the first few milliseconds of every track (very noticeable on the lead track Babylon Sisters, which starts out with three triplet tom hits, but you can only hear the last two on DVD-A (my vinyl, and subsequent SACD copy, play all three)). I was going to include my 2-year-old correspondence with Oppo inquiring about the discrepancy (which I never followed up on...)
Captain Obvious flew in the room and kicked me in the forehead, and I took the DVD-A over to my shiny new BDP-103, loaded it up, and hit Play.

Three tom hits!

Three glorious tom hits, like its supposed to be! Obviously the DVD-A clipping problem has been fixed. I'm wondering if I should still include the DVD-A in my Oppo shipment; the problem's been fixed but one thing I admire about Oppo is the continual firmware updates to their older equipment, kudos to them!
I guess I will include it, since I'll be getting my repaired -83 back; it'd be nice if it played all my DVD-A's properly, not to mention the thousands of -83 owners worldwide who would be so relieved and should probably send me cash.
:text-bravo:

EDIT: oh yeah, I need to mention how great an album Gaucho is, after all these years. The drumming is a bit wooden/mechanical (something Mr. Fagen has since corrected) but the chords, solos, singing and lyrics are still Stunning! :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

My wife says I need a new blu-ray player because she said it keeps acting up while streaming Netflix. Now who am I to argue with her? I'm looking at getting the Oppo BDP-103. My display is not 3D, but is there still an advantage to run a separate HDMI cable from the player to the TV? Botch, are you using the HDMI or the 7.1 outputs for the DVD-A signal? I know SACD passes DSD via HDMI.

The one benefit I can think of is not having to run the BD player through the receiver for audio each and every time you want to watch something.

garypf said:
My wife says I need a new blu-ray player because she said it keeps acting up while streaming Netflix. Now who am I to argue with her? I'm looking at getting the Oppo BDP-103. My display is not 3D, but is there still an advantage to run a separate HDMI cable from the player to the TV? Botch, are you using the HDMI or the 7.1 outputs for the DVD-A signal? I know SACD passes DSD via HDMI.

Your wife is an extremely intelligent woman.

Dual HDMI Outputs – Two HDMI v1.4a output ports are provided to offer the most versatile installation options to both older and newer HDMI equipment. You do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to a 3D model in order to enjoy 3D. One HDMI output of the BDP-103 can be connected to a 3D TV and the other can be connected to a pre-3D HDMI v1.1-1.3 A/V receiver. For projector users, you can connect one output to a projector for home theater use and the other to a TV for casual viewing. For a multi-room installation the BDP-103 can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D TVs simultaneously.

Dual HDMI Inputs – Connect external devices such as set-top boxes and network streaming devices to take further advantage of the excellent audio and video processing functions by the BDP-103. The BDP-103 offers two HDMI inputs, one on the front and one on the back.

Rope

Rope said:
Dual HDMI Inputs – Connect external devices such as set-top boxes and network streaming devices to take further advantage of the excellent audio and video processing functions by the BDP-103.

THIS is why I want a 103.

garypf said:
My display is not 3D, but is there still an advantage to run a separate HDMI cable from the player to the TV? Botch, are you using the HDMI or the 7.1 outputs for the DVD-A signal? I know SACD passes DSD via HDMI.
I'm using the HDMI output exclusively.
The only advantage to the second HDMI output is as Bats mentioned, you can watch a disk without turning on your AV receiver; but, you'll be listening to the TV's speakers which to me, even with the 10 o'clock news, isn't good.

Back