• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My OLD Oppo's sick; my NEW Oppo's SICK!

I tried some more experiments today. Still no progress. I connected my LG BD390 to my receiver with a different HDMI cable. I put in the Paul McCartney and Wings "Band on the Run," 96 kHZ/24 bit FLAC files on a DVD. My Yamaha said the signal was 96 kHZ. The Oppo Onscreen display recognized 96 kHZ/24 bit, however once again my Yamaha said the Oppo was only sending a 48kHZ signal. The LG BD390 and the Yamaha said the signal from the Pixies Minotaur Blu Ray audio was 192 kHZ. The Oppo onscreen verified the signal as 192 kHZ but the Yamaha said the signal is only 48 kHZ.
Lastly, I did a firmware update to the Yamaha. A firmware was released 12/25/2012. The receiver was successfully updated. Still the same problem. I used the same HDMI cable for both players.
The LG does NOT support SACD, DVD-Audio, or FLAC files on a USB drive. Yet the LG can handle the higher frequencies.
To say I'm stumped is an understatement. I sent an email to Oppo. They should also get my USB drive and my DVD within the next couple of days. I hope I can get an answer.
Botch, if you are lurking, what player settings are you using with your Yamaha, and have you had the same problem?

garypf said:
I tried some more experiments today. Still no progress. I connected my LG BD390 to my receiver with a different HDMI cable. I put in the Paul McCartney and Wings "Band on the Run," 96 kHZ/24 bit FLAC files on a DVD. My Yamaha said the signal was 96 kHZ. The Oppo Onscreen display recognized 96 kHZ/24 bit, however once again my Yamaha said the Oppo was only sending a 48kHZ signal. The LG BD390 and the Yamaha said the signal from the Pixies Minotaur Blu Ray audio was 192 kHZ. The Oppo onscreen verified the signal as 192 kHZ but the Yamaha said the signal is only 48 kHZ.
Lastly, I did a firmware update to the Yamaha. A firmware was released 12/25/2012. The receiver was successfully updated. Still the same problem. I used the same HDMI cable for both players.
The LG does NOT support SACD, DVD-Audio, or FLAC files on a USB drive. Yet the LG can handle the higher frequencies.
To say I'm stumped is an understatement. I sent an email to Oppo. They should also get my USB drive and my DVD within the next couple of days. I hope I can get an answer.
Botch, if you are lurking, what player settings are you using with your Yamaha, and have you had the same problem?

I just bought a 96 kHz / 24 bit album off of HDTracks to test this out and my receiver showed that the Oppo was outputting 96 kHz. In the Oppo's setup menu I have HDMI audio output set to LPCM.

I have the audio set to LPCM as well. Oppo emailed me to let me know they got the disc and the drive. Hopefully it'll work out.

garypf said:

I have not had the same problem. I can't call up my Yamaha settings with my Harmony One, and can't (yet) find the Yamaha remote. Stand by...

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Well this sucks!
Tried various connection methods including optical. The only thing not tried was 5.1 analog connections. Obviously, there may be a "handshake" issue with the particular Yamaha model I have (RX-V867) with the Oppo. No such issue with my LG Blu Ray player.
So the Oppo is on its way back to Mountain View, Ca. They are going to test the player. If the player is fine, I guess the next step would be to buy a new receiver, even though my receiver is only 1 year old.
Or find another universal DVD player. Arrrrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that, my friend. Seems like they would have these hdmi/hdcp issues worked out by now... sigh.

I really hate to give up on the Oppo but if I'm paying that much money I should be able to enjoy it to its full capabilities. 48 kHZ is better than nothing but if the receiver and the player can pass 192 kHZ then that is what I want. The cheapest alternative would be to return the Oppo and try the Yamaha universal BD player. It only has one HDMI output and no HDMI inputs but I could live wihout that feature. I got spoiled by being able to play SACDs, DVD-As and stream FLAC files from a USB drive. My wife also likes the Netflix setup on the Oppo. I'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully its just a glitch in this one particular player. However, the Oppo tech said my receiver (RX-V867) also has a handshake issue with the PS3 (the same issue I'm experiencing). But for some reason, the Yamaha likes my LG player (which lacks DVD-A, SACD, FLAC capabilities).

You can get a cheap sony player for SACD... I use an older sony bdp-370 for bd/sacd, cost me $50 and works fine. But it doesn't do dvd-a.

I agree 100% though that for the price of the Oppo it should do everything damn near perfectly. I'd had weird hdmi issues with my Onkyo 885 (and an older 505 receiver I had a while back), where some peripherals would work on one hdmi input port and not others, despite that they're supposed to behave identically... I had to swap around components until I found a combination that worked. Don't suppose you tried that with the yamaha?

garypf said:
:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Well this sucks!
Tried various connection methods including optical. The only thing not tried was 5.1 analog connections. Obviously, there may be a "handshake" issue with the particular Yamaha model I have (RX-V867) with the Oppo.
I'm sorry to hear this, Gary. Both my BDP-83 and my BDP-103 went into a Yammie RX-V765, one step (or 111 steps? :D) below yours, and I haven't had an issue, although I can't remember seeing, or looking for, a 196kHz readout. Since its supposed to be single-digits outside this weekend maybe I'll play around a bit and see what I can find.

My Oppo arrived today at company headquarters. Keeping my fingers crossed they come up with a solution. If not,.....anyone want to buy a slightly used Yamaha receiver?

^^^
The fine folks at Oppo Digital don't dick around. If it's a problem with their gear, they'll have a solution.

Rope

I just discovered another feature on my -103 I didn't know it had. I turned on my system to play a DVD, and there was still a CD in the tray from last night. Suddenly the album cover and track listing for that CD appeared on my TV, courtesy Gracenote! :handgestures-thumbup:

Well, the player is on its way back and should arrive Wednesday. Turns out I had a wrong setting in Audio Processing settings. I had it set to DTS-Neo6, which downsamples everything to 48kHZ. And it is NOT a setting needed if using HDMI connection. So everything should work fine.
So I received two good bits of news today - I don't need a heart cath or a new receiver.
It would be hard to replace my receiver with something comparable. I don't care for the lack of features I see in the new Denons or Pioneers. I guess I'm just a sucker for Yamaha.
As for the heart cath, true story.
I recently had an EKG done as part of a physical. The EKG was abnormal but I was and still to this day have not had any symptoms. My primary doctor send me to a cardiologist. The cardiologist said the stress test was abnormal and a heart cath would be needed. I said BS and sought a second opinion from a cardiologist I trusted. My new cardiologist said I did not need a heart cath.
So therefore the first cardiologist was willing to cut me open based on BS. Makes you wonder. I'm a registered nurse by trade so therefore I can be skeptical at times regarding tests and procedures ordered. I see it in my line of work. Moral of the story: if you have any doubts, seek a second opinion.

Wow, that's kind of a big item to have uncertainty over. (The heart thing, not the Oppo :laughing: ) Glad you got that figured out!

That's great news Gary, on both counts! :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

:music-rockout: Got home from a particularly crappy day at work (shift usually ends at 730 pm EDT and I come dragging in at 930 pm EDT). Well, my Oppo returned from the factory. It's working fine. I guess the only weak link was me. :mrgreen: Listening to Gustav Holst "The Planets" in 96khz/24 bit from a USB drive. May be up awhile reaquainting myself with my "toy."

Awesome! Glad it's working ok - enjoy the hell out of it. And good choice of music, too!

Back