• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Need a new remote

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Well my second Harmony 600 series remote has now failed. Guess I should stop buying the cheap used ones on eBay. :eek:bscene-buttred:

So, what next? I'll probably spring for a Harmony One, unless someone else has some other suggestion that doesn't involve a huge amount of cash?

With your technical abilities, problem solving skills and general above-average intelligence, you should be considering URC remotes.

MX-980_lg.jpg

Dunno... I'm a cheap bastard. And my system is not complicated. I might just get a new 650 for half the price... seems like they've totally redesigned it compared to the old ones I've had - e.g. new color screen, very different button layout, etc. I was perfectly happy with the functionality of the 620, so I don't feel like I need the bells&whistles of the One, like being able to control 15 devices.

What makes the One so much better?

Ok Zing, I'll take a look at those, thanks.

I have to agree. If I were buying a universal remote, I would get the One.

Although, I do know of a fella that has the famed "Remote of the Gods" he might part with.......... :eusa-whistle:

:banana-rock: :music-rockout: :eek:bscene-buttred: :teasing-tease: :angry-banghead: :laughing-rolling:
:eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:
:teasing-neener:

PaulyT said:
I'm a cheap bastard.
I have a surplus Phillips Pronto TSU2000 that you can have.

After the move, I was only able to find the box and manual, not the remote. I held on to those things hoping the remote would turn up. Recently, I gave up and finally pitched the box and manual. Son-of-a-bitch if I didn't find the friggin' remote within days of throwing that stuff away.

Anyway, the remote is yours if you're interested.

51ANJVZDFCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

With the One, Harmony has taken everything to complain about with earlier models (ergonomics, button layout, materials) and made a much better thought out product. The 900 is the RF version of the One and the 1100 is the large touchscreen. After the One came out Harmony redid the entire line to resemble it with the exeption of the 1100. IMO it's nearly untouchable (for the $) unless you want a fully customizable brand like URC (although I know someone that could save you some $ on URC ;) ) BTW it looks like u can now purchase refurbs direct from Harmony :text-link:

Flint said:
Philips Pronto

Pricey for a CAB like Pauly, but I thought these offering from Phillips looked pretty cool for the prices.

417at53IM-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Philips TSU9200- $170

31um18I%2BMWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Philips SRT9320- $102

Amazon link

The 9320 is cheaper and seems to get better reviews.

Batman said:
With the One, Harmony has taken everything to complain about with earlier models (ergonomics, button layout, materials) and made a much better thought out product. The 900 is the RF version of the One and the 1100 is the large touchscreen. After the One came out Harmony redid the entire line to resemble it with the exeption of the 1100. IMO it's nearly untouchable (for the $) unless you want a fully customizable brand like URC (although I know someone that could save you some $ on URC ;) ) BTW it looks like u can now purchase refurbs direct from Harmony :text-link:

I also saw on Amazon where you can get a Harmony extender for PS3 control. Supposed to work with all Harmony remotes. link

The One has probably been the best, most easiest remote I have ever owned. Word to the wise though, they are not dog proof, and I found that out the hard way.

Thanks guys. Zing, I appreciate the offer, that's very generous! But I really don't want a touch screen remote, I'd much rather have regular 'ole buttons. Also, I don't particularly want another charging stand and fancy custom battery, which is IMHO one of the drawbacks of the One. I looked at the URC and Philips stuff, and while they have models in the <$100 price range, my impression from reviews and such are they are harder to program. Don't know if that's really true, but I do actually like to program it on the computer vs directly on the remote, so that if the device resets for some reason, I don't lose all my programming. And I already have everything set up with the Harmony software, making the transition to a new harmony remote much, much easier than having to learn a whole new system.

So, with all that combined with the price factor, I've gone ahead and ordered a (new) 650. With $4 shipping from Amazon Prime, I'll have it tomorrow. :handgestures-thumbup:

Pauly, I have two Philips remotes I bought long ago on Woot because they were cheap. I never did use them as I didn't like the programing. Your smarter than me, want them they are yours for a mere price of one meeeeeelion doooolllllaars....muhahahahaha (or free) they are activity based and somewhat similar looking to the first Philips pictured. Lemme know and I'll try and find them before I leave.

If I were buying a remote I'd find a close out Harmony 1000 or 2000 or whatever number that one is up to.....but you don't like touchscreen. They can be found in the $200 range.

Ha, Orb! Though I wonder what "winging" is... girls can fly?

Thanks -B-, already ordered the 650... if I hate it, I'll get back to you. :laughing:

Back