• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

new HSU VTF-15H

Ask for the new sub. Doesn't ANYONE here remember what this happened to mazersteve?

Sheesh. Amateurs.

Maximo said:
Ask for the new sub. Doesn't ANYONE here remember what this happened to mazersteve?

Sheesh. Amateurs.
I don't believe I was around at the time...what happened? :text-imnewhere:

Batman said:
Maximo said:

Sheesh. Amateurs.
I don't believe I was around at the time...what happened? :text-imnewhere:

:text-+1:

I was thinking of asking for a more b-stock like price (i.e. $200 off). That would make me happy. So far nothing in my listening has indicated anything is wrong. And even if there would be something wrong, wouldn't that be covered by the warranty? 7 years woofer, 2 years electronics?

So what happened to mazersteve?

He bought a badass SVS sub and it came with similar damage. He asked for a new sub. SVS either didn't want the old sub back or forgot about it. Either way he ended up with two subs.

Q setting differences

Okay guys, I have ran full bandwidth pink noise into the front right speaker and the sub. Here is the bass crossed over at 60hz with the various Q settings. Both ports are open on the sub. EQ2. I'm using the radioshack meter with the correct calibration file. I used the highest (slowest) FFT setting and did 32 samples averaged from the same exact listening location. I'll post more in room measurements and observations later.

UPDATED: Here are RTA measurements (these don't seem to be all that consistent from one measurement to the next as the first time thru the Q0.7 setting was a smooth curve in the 15-30 hz range, and Q0.3 was the most jagged, so take these with a grain of salt. The overall level differences have been similar.)

Opps, found out the Sub was running 3dB hot (my change to the receiver's sub volume didn't stick. So that's why the bass is a bit higher in the sub 60hz region).

alltogether.png

q3a.png

q5a.png

q7a.png

Here is hopefully a bit more useful graph using a 24 second high length Sweep from 10-200hz:

sweepall.png

75711444.png

84208570.png

13884628.png

Any ideas why the 57hz null is bigger on the lower Qs? Interesting enough I don't get the same severe nulls in my other thread about 2 non-identical collocated subs. Odd.

Audioholics is getting closer to posting a review of this sub (compared to 3 others all costing at least 50% more). They just posted an article on how to test subwoofers, and describe the methods they are going to use in the shootout. The SVS did win the product of the year award from them and they mentioned that the results of the test were part of the reason in choosing that sub. I'm very curious how the HSU compared as that's the sub I bought obviously. Can't wait for the test results.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/2010-subwoofer-shootout

Interesting that they are using the SVS PB12+ instead of the PB13-Ultra.

Towen7 said:
Interesting that they are using the SVS PB12+ instead of the PB13-Ultra.

Apparently SVS didn't want to send the PB13 saying that Ikka's measurements of it over at home theater shack is all one needs to know about that sub. Also, the current PB12+ has similar performance to the older Ultras according to SVS. It will be interesting to see the differences.

Batman said:
I just finished my perusal (over the course of several of days) of all 47 pages on this sub over on AVS, and don't regret my decision to go with this product. It continues to receive rave user reviews and compliments. Those who have implemented two, have mentioned noticeable and substantial improvements/output. I have yet to witness this since my second one is still in the box. But am looking forward to letting it out (possibly later today). I have three placement options for the second which will be practical for the way my room is set up. First is co-located right next to the first on either side of my center, second is each sub flanking my center, subs placed on sides with woofers inside closer to the center or outside closer to my mains, third is in a more near-field placement in the smallish corner along the right wall just past my rack and near my second row of seats actually placed on the riser...I have the flexibility to try all these options.
any new thoughts or opinions on these babys?

Either SVS is more expensive than the Hsu but the PB12 is closer. Upon thinking about it there is no advantage for SVS to agree to compare the PB13 to the latest 15" Hsu. If the SVS "wins" than the Hsu fanboys will just say that is because the PB-13 is twice the price. If the Hsu "wins" than SVS gets embarrassed by loosing to a sub that cost half as much. That could still happen with the PB-12 but to a lesser extent. It's not like SVS could just not participate. That wouldn't look good either. Then again, maybe SVS truly believes that the PB12 is more equal competition. After all, they have plenty of good press for the 13" ultra.

It's irrelevant and I'm looking forward to an objective test of the Hsu (and the other subs in the Audioholics shootout).

nats said:
Batman said:
I just finished my perusal (over the course of several of days) of all 47 pages on this sub over on AVS, and don't regret my decision to go with this product. It continues to receive rave user reviews and compliments. Those who have implemented two, have mentioned noticeable and substantial improvements/output. I have yet to witness this since my second one is still in the box. But am looking forward to letting it out (possibly later today). I have three placement options for the second which will be practical for the way my room is set up. First is co-located right next to the first on either side of my center, second is each sub flanking my center, subs placed on sides with woofers inside closer to the center or outside closer to my mains, third is in a more near-field placement in the smallish corner along the right wall just past my rack and near my second row of seats actually placed on the riser...I have the flexibility to try all these options.
any new thoughts or opinions on these babys?
I LOVE the one that I have hooked up. I still have not unpacked the second one. Due to holiday travels, it's not likely I'll get the chance to do that until next weekend. Other than that I have nothing to add until I integrate the second sub into the mix... :eusa-whistle:

Do they typically need a break in period? I was thinking if that was a good idea to do then maybe they should be done simultaneously?

If that were required, it's not as if the first one will have a hundred hour head-start....at most it may have 20-25 hrs. I haven't spent a ton of hours with it, just enough to feel really good about the purchase...

Batman said:
If that were required, it's not as if the first one will have a hundred hour head-start....at most it may have 20-25 hrs. I haven't spent a ton of hours with it, just enough to feel really good about the purchase...
for those of us that will be going with 1 sub,would you still recomend it? and i know ill probably get spanked for asking this question,but have you listened to any music on it? (i keep asking this question because i will be soon getting a new sub and my sub sucks for music)

I'm using a single 15H and I don't think you'll be disappointed with it's musical ability.

Okay Bats I'll get right to the fucking point.

HOOK UP THAT DAMN SECOND SUB, TAKE SOME FRIGGIN MEASUREMENTS AND POST SOME AWESOME PICS!!!!! I'M TIRED OF THIS WAITING AROUND B.S.

Ahhh there is nothing like a new bad boy showing up to shake up all the bass heads world, looks like Dr Hsu has another winner in his camp......bout time! Congrats to all who jump in & bought this new beast, I'm happy that you guys are pleased. Great thread BTW you guys always keep thing entertaining!

Back