• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

new HSU VTF-15H

Towen7 said:
I hear you Dentman. FWIW I welcome any advice and/or criticism over in my HTIP thread.

should I advise you to get some Dynaudio Contour 1.4s in there?

:text-nocomment:

Passive speakers are something I'd like to do waaaaaay down the road.

Well my sub came yesterday! :D

But... Some damage occurred during shipping. :( Here's some picks:

img356601.jpg

img357201.jpg

img357801.jpg

img357901.jpg

HSU is offering two options to me. 1) Arrange for FedEx to pick it up at my home and ship a new one, or 2) have $100 refunded to my card. I think HSU willing to give these options is great customer service.

I would assume that this type of damage is only cosmetic unless whatever made the impact hit really really really hard. I'm leaning towards option #2, considering it's probably the best win win for everyone involved, but wanted some feedback from everyone in case I'm missing something. I would think a sub like this could withstand quite a bit of abuse. The gash would not be visible from the main listening location anyway.

I haven't had the chance to hook it up yet. Is there anything I should listen for to see if it is sounding as it should. Again, I assume everything should sound okay.

Appears to be a superficial scratch – I have several similar (self inflicted) on my two Hsu's - no worries.

If the side is not punctured or weakened to the point of flexing, everything should be OK. I would probably opt for #2 as well. I think a Sharpie can make that problem all but disappear.

John

Take the $100.00 and run like hell.

Next time, assuming you're present when delivery takes place, if the shipping container is damanged, refuse the shipment.

Rope

I'd live with it too and take the $100. Check with -B- on how best to handle that cosmetic blemish. He's awfully clever when it comes to this type of repair. I wouldn't use a sharpie as they tend to look purple when touching up real black paint. Although you may not care enough to even bother with all that if that side is in a corner.

I disagree. That doesn't look like a scratch to me but more like a gouge that just may compromise the integrity of the box. It may just be in the laminate veneer but why risk it. Considering freight that $100 discount is less than 10%. It would cost HSU about $100 to ship... each way. I wouldn't accept anything less than $200 or a new sub. You were willing to pay for a new one and expected a brand new shiny sub, not B-stock.

Towen,

The gash/scratch/guage is not deep (at least from what I can tell with my fingers). It seems to barely go under the veneer. I'll try to see if there is any flexing or movement on the panel, but I doubt it.

However, I was thinking about the $100. As nice as that is shipping is 139 each way and b stock is typically 20%. I'll see what they say.

Nevertheless, I have set the thing up. Gain at 9 o'clock. Both ports open. EQ2, Q 0.3. The recommended first setting. I had to turn the gain on my receiver down 3.5dB and I have calibrated with the S&V disk to match the left front speaker. In othewords...

This sub at least with these settings appears to have no problems running -10dbFS. So I'm 5dB louder right now than my SVS. It also sounds much nicer. I'm impressed.

I'm getting peaks using the meter measure 98dB. This is at 45hz on dark night when bruce is testing the gun multiple times at the 57 minute mark -10dBFS. According to the calibration file for the new RS meter the real SPL should be higher by 2.4db or 100dB total. Previously with the SVS I was only about to get 91dB peaks (so 93dB adjusted). So this sub is running 7dB louder than my SVS on this scene.

This sub is quite something (even at the Q0.3 setting). I'm also having stuff rattle in my room that did not ever rattle before (I thought it was the sub at first complaining but it was the fireplace metal mess/grate. The sub wasn't breaking a sweat).

This is going to be fun to keep testing. :D

I've held off posting my impressions as not pollute your listening tests. I'll do a half-assed review down the road but it suffices to say that I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

If that's a vinyl veneer, a heat gun and a cold can could be of great help. I'd gladly talk you through that if you decide to give it a whirl. Too bad your not closer...I'd fix it.

I ask you... At what other AV forum are you going to find expert help fixing the veneer on a subwoofer? This forum (and -B- in particular) rocks!
:music-rockout:
:character-beavisbutthead:

I'd go Option B also, then find a JBL sticker to cover the scratch.

Towen7 said:
I disagree. That doesn't look like a scratch to me but more like a gouge that just may compromise the integrity of the box. It may just be in the laminate veneer but why risk it. Considering freight that $100 discount is less than 10%. It would cost HSU about $100 to ship... each way. I wouldn't accept anything less than $200 or a new sub. You were willing to pay for a new one and expected a brand new shiny sub, not B-stock.
Yeah IF HSU is in the wrong for shipping a damaged box from their warehouse, the shipping co. may be the ones to blame and I think in that regard, HSU is being more than accomodating... :twocents-mytwocents:

Batman said:
Towen7 said:
Yeah IF HSU is in the wrong for shipping a damaged box from their warehouse, the shipping co. may be the ones to blame and I think in that regard, HSU is being more than accomodating... :twocents-mytwocents:

I disagree. Hsu is 100% responsible for the entire customer experience unless the customer chooses their own carrier. If the carrier screwed up, then Hsu is responsible for fixing the problem and if the carrier owe's anyone anything, it is Hsu they owe.

^ HSU offered Nelmr a new sub for the trouble, my stance is that the OTHER option of $100 off is acceptable. And I'm sure each of us would have different levels of expectations if we were in his shoes. If $100 doesn't work get the new sub...Maybe I'm too understanding of the fact that no company has any control at all what happens to a product once it's on that truck, regardless of whether it's Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc...

In my business, if a PC shows up damaged in any way, it is replaced with no questions. Why? We have to support it for the warranty period.

Back