• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

new HSU VTF-15H

yromj said:
Pauly, correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember you and I determined that the outputs were in fact dual mono.

What do I think a pair of these will do? They will cause you to have all the following reactions:

:banana-dance: :music-rockout: :scared-eek: :happy-smileygiantred:

:laughing-rolling:

and your house to implode. I mean if this thing even matches (let alone that it may very well exceed) the capability of the PBU, two of these on that scene from Matrix: Revolutions would be insane.

John
:text-lol: literally! ,,, :happy-smileygiantred:

:text-goodpost: ..... :text-+1:

> .. :eusa-clap:

yromj said:
Pauly, correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember you and I determined that the outputs were in fact dual mono.

Correct, that's what I remember as well. S'okay, just means he doesn't have to place them symmetrically l/r on the front stage.

PaulyT said:
yromj said:
...S'okay, just means he doesn't have to place them symmetrically l/r on the front stage.

Yep. He will most likely be better off co-locating them. That's my guess anyway, since he probably won't want to put one on either side wall.

John

PaulyT said:
yromj said:

Correct, that's what I remember as well. S'okay, just means he doesn't have to place them symmetrically l/r on the front stage.

Doesn't it really mean that by using two he's just getting more of the same and not really using stereo subs?

I'm not trying to imply that there is anything wrong with that configuration, just that any benefit of stereo subwoofers is not applicable, and that adding a second sub on the same channel doesn't equate to doubling the performance. (So I hear because I've never actually done such a thing).

The addition a crossover like the Behringer ultra-drive pro makes it moot but would require an wiring change. He could set the L/R channels to full range and feed them to the crossover. The hi-pass output for each channel would go to their respective amplifier and onto the speakers. The lo-pass for each channel would go to the L and R subs. The dual sub outs (which would have the LFE and crossed-over bass for the CC and surrounds) would go to the other input on one or both subs.

Either way I am anxious to see what his plans and results are because, if nothing else, it's something different than the same old... "get an SVS and put it in the corner" solution that everyone else uses.

Towen7 said:
Doesn't it really mean that by using two he's just getting more of the same and not really using stereo subs?

I'm not trying to imply that there is anything wrong with that configuration, just that any benefit of stereo subwoofers is not applicable.

Correct. For this case, the potential advantage of multiple subs would be the ability to move them around the room and see what gives the smoothest overall bass response. I think we're assuming that a single one of the HSU subs is not going to reproduce the impact of that PB13U - and I think Bats is more interested in impact for movie sound effects that the relative subtlety of stereo subs which would mainly benefit music.

PaulyT said:
I think we're assuming that a single one of the HSU subs is not going to reproduce the impact of that PB13U - and I think Bats is more interested in impact for movie sound effects that the relative subtlety of stereo subs which would mainly benefit music.

Which begs my earlier question... Why so quick to get rid of the PB13?

Towen7 said:
PaulyT said:
I think we're assuming that a single one of the HSU subs is not going to reproduce the impact of that PB13U - and I think Bats is more interested in impact for movie sound effects that the relative subtlety of stereo subs which would mainly benefit music.

Which begs my earlier question... Why so quick to get rid of the PB13?
I wasn't looking to get rid of the Ultra per se. But at the time I had someone really interested in buying it, I was seriously considering building an IB as another DIY project. Mostly because of time, money and TIME and a plethora of other things on my plate I decided to hold off on that build for now...But my ultra is gone, I sold it thinking I would use the funds to begin acquiring the parts needed for an IB. After looking into the capabilities of this new product from HSU and what appears to be an amazing value given the specs I decided to see what these could do. I don't have a lot of first hand experience with the brand other than a few scattered hours over the years at -B-s, but the fact that HSU gets mentioned often along with SVS, I figured what the hell. If after a couple weeks there is no appreciable difference between running 1 vs 2, I'll send one back, provided I like them at all...But who knows, after Pauly gets here and we play around a bit I may just keep both. The way I see it after selling the Ultra and purchasing these 2, I only spent an additional $400 to try this out...If I like them both, and want true stereo subs down the road, I'm a XO away from achieving that...

That's where I thought you were coming from. I'm considering upgrading the 20-39PC+ when I get the HT going so it'll be great to hear your thoughts.

^ I'm just looking forward to trying something different...it's a shame that there is no longer a PB13U to swap with these to make a direct comparison. But without that $$ I couldn't even try this out. I still think an IB may be in my future but not in the near. I'm sure after Pauly comes up and help get things situated he will have plenty of technical feedback ;) and we'll both know if this was worth the purchase.

F*@# YOU BATS!!!!! Just when I think you have reached the apex of suckdom, you have to go and climb higher. You Friggin suck and for sure I'm never going to another one of your G-Damn GTG's cause evertytime I do, I go home, look at my system and cry like a little school girl.

You suck.....but yeah I'll prolly show up again just for your wifes margaritas and Zings Bloody Marys' I'll sit in your (ahem) "Batcave" but I'm not going to enjoy myself one bit. Not one I tells ya. hence my reason for drinking so much at your place, cause it calms the voice in my head daring me to scream at you, "YOU FRIGGIN SUCK" and alas have to subject myself to B's childish antics of drawing all over me in my drunken stupor.

btw I showed my father your youtube walkthrough at Thanksgiving and he now understands why I go to Deleware every year......oh yeah he says you suck too. :teasing-neener:

Batman said:
Well after spending several hours on AVS forums reading about this new Sub, it appears to be the best offering HSU has ever had. Since I do not have the time or energy right now to tackle an IB, I decided to pull the trigger and see what a pair of these can do. If for whatever reason these are not to my liking, it doesn't seem as if I'll have any trouble at all re-selling these. Pauly, get ready to head up in a week or so and bring TrueRTA!! We're gonna be having some fun... :music-listening:

P_6351_1_750-325.jpg

XTZ Room Analyzer

Congrats Bats!

I find it odd HSU neglected to equip the subwoofer with a variable phase knob. What's up with that?

Rope

Towen7 said:
And another thing.... I don't see any outputs on the sub's amp.

Rope said:
I find it odd HSU neglected to equip the subwoofer with a variable phase knob. What's up with that?
That's it, shit all over his new toys. Wait till you want a special price on your next upgrade. :teasing-neener:

Zing said:
Towen7 said:

Rope said:
That's it, shit all over his new toys. Wait till you want a special price on your next upgrade. :teasing-neener:

Oh sure, make fun of the fat blind kid's comments. :eek:bscene-buttred:

Rope

MatthewB said:
F*@# YOU BATS!!!!! Just when I think you have reached the apex of suckdom, you have to go and climb higher. You Friggin suck and for sure I'm never going to another one of your G-Damn GTG's cause evertytime I do, I go home, look at my system and cry like a little school girl.

You suck.....but yeah I'll prolly show up again just for your wifes margaritas and Zings Bloody Marys' I'll sit in your (ahem) "Batcave" but I'm not going to enjoy myself one bit. Not one I tells ya. hence my reason for drinking so much at your place, cause it calms the voice in my head daring me to scream at you, "YOU FRIGGIN SUCK" and alas have to subject myself to B's childish antics of drawing all over me in my drunken stupor.

btw I showed my father your youtube walkthrough at Thanksgiving and he now understands why I go to Deleware every year......oh yeah he says you suck too. :teasing-neener:

3 things...

1) For the umpteenth time, I didn't do it
2) Stop drinkin slurpees and you won't be the first to hit the floor
3) Never be the first one asleep in a house filled with booze and a sharpie

Geez Matt, for all the stories you bellow about the days in college, rule 3 should second nature defense! Next time I WILL do it, you know if I'm taking the fall I might as well.....hows about a beard?

Can't wait to get a load of these subs....

Rope said:
Zing said:
Towen7 said:

Rope said:

Oh sure, make fun of the fat blind kid's comments. :eek:bscene-buttred:

Rope

HEY!!!

I'm not blind. :text-datsphatyo:

-B- said:
MatthewB said:

3 things...

1) For the umpteenth time, I didn't do it
2) Stop drinkin slurpees and you won't be the first to hit the floor
3) Never be the first one asleep in a house filled with booze and a sharpie

Geez Matt, for all the stories you bellow about the days in college, rule 3 should second nature defense! Next time I WILL do it, you know if I'm taking the fall I might as well.....hows about a beard?

Can't wait to get a load of these subs....

-B- I know you didn't do it, I just like to blame you (cause you were the one filming and taking pics) and I can't pinpoint the true heathens who decorated me with that Curly Q mustache. So you get the blame.

Trust me Bryan after what I went though in college, what you guys did was TAAAAAAME in comparison. And if I recall it was that triple shot of that gasoline flavored whatever it was you dared me to chug that finally did me in. I recall as the group was chanting over and over "Drink, Drink, Drink" and as I did, I thought, "Matt old buddy, this is really a bad idea" and it wasn't too much time after that, that i went upstairs to get an insulin shot (which I still doubt I took) and passed out on the bed, where a few of you took advantage of poor pitiful innocent me. :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk:

- Matt whose convinced Zing had something to do with the artwork also.

MatthewB said:
Trust me Bryan after what I went though in college, what you guys did was TAAAAAAME in comparison.
Oh yeah? Wait till the next GTG. I promise you'll wake up in a parking lot, dressed in heels and hose, the taste of dog shit in your mouth and with an asshole the size of the Lincoln Tunnel.

MatthewB said:
- Matt whose convinced Zing had something to do with the artwork also.
Guess again, Sparky. (And no, it wasn't Babs either)

Zing as long as I don't wake up with "Zing's Bitch" tatted on my ass, I guess I'll just have to watch my booze consumption. :scared-eek:

The only person I can really rule out is PaulyT, cause he was the only one more shitfaced than me that night, and he was too busy saying hello to "Ralph" near the big phone. :handgestures-thumbup:

btw Zing if my "junk" had been drawn on then Babs and Mrs Bats would be my number one choice (I mean could you blame them) but since it wasnt I will track down the culprits by next GTG.

"A dish best served cold" Matt. :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Wow! This thread started by talking about an HSU subwoofer and now this. This is getting more funny each time I look here.

Back