• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

new HSU VTF-15H

Zing said:
MatthewB said:
Trust me Bryan after what I went though in college, what you guys did was TAAAAAAME in comparison.
Oh yeah? Wait till the next GTG. I promise you'll wake up in a parking lot, dressed in heels and hose, the taste of dog shit in your mouth and with an asshole the size of the Lincoln Tunnel.

MatthewB said:
- Matt whose convinced Zing had something to do with the artwork also.
Guess again, Sparky. (And no, it wasn't Babs either)

I'll not partake in this rectal stretch bit you got cookin, it's all you Zing..... :eusa-whistle:

Could anyone hazard a guess as to where this would slot in /stack up against something from SVS? The reason I ask is that I have been thinking of getting something like the PB 13 Ultra but here in Canada that would run me about 1899 CAD plus tax. The VTF -15H is being offered for $999US (Rosenut looks like it would be a very nice match to my PSB Platinums, even the grey grill would look nice.) Now I am not all about aesthetics..... but if this thing is half way decent it seems like a much cheaper way to go than the SVS.
Mike

mcad64 said:
Could anyone hazard a guess as to where this would slot in /stack up against something from SVS? The reason I ask is that I have been thinking of getting something like the PB 13 Ultra but here in Canada that would run me about 1899 CAD plus tax. The VTF -15H is being offered for $999US (Rosenut looks like it would be a very nice match to my PSB Platinums, even the grey grill would look nice.) Now I am not all about aesthetics..... but if this thing is half way decent it seems like a much cheaper way to go than the SVS.
Mike

I'm going to venture a guess it would put a sizable grin on your face, my VTF3 MK2 I bought in 06 still gives me the grins and I have heard multiple SVS's including the PB13. I don't think the PB13 will be a $900 difference. I'd pull the trigger :handgestures-thumbup:

I wonder since Tom V left SVS.... (note the "V" in SVS).....maybe he started working for HSU........

Barney said:
I wonder since Tom V left SVS.... (note the "V" in SVS).....maybe he started working for HSU........

I would think he would have signed a "no compete" clause. At least for 5 years or so.

Here are some pics for you guys, I have a few first impressions after doing a level calibration last night, I've been doing some listening tonight with a few tunes while watching MNF... There are several setting based on how many ports are plugged/unplugged, EQ1/2 based on port plugging also and then "Q" settings as well based on room size. I only have one hooked up right now because I want to listen to a few familiar movie scenes to compare it to what I remember of the PB13, then I 'll begin to place and calibrate the second one...It definitely has a presence for sure, I like the way it blends with the 5.4s the bass is clean and tight while being different than the PB13, I can't quite put my finger on it yet. I need to do more listening. As far as output, I'll have to hold off speaking on that one until I watch some action scenes from several movies, as the theater gets used for this purpose much more often than music listening...

395af911.jpg

a61e823e.jpg

66f43f51.jpg

494ada35.jpg

Okay I popped in the Sandman scene from SM3 during halftime of MNF, and I can confidently state that the output of the 15H is on par with the PB13. I usually listen to that scene when demoing at around -6 to -8 dB on the Onkyo and the PB easily shook my seating riser as does this sub also. In case your wondering, I have one port plugged, EQ2, and Q control set at 0.7...Next time (maybe tomorrow) I'll try both ports open, but it's getting too late here to keep up the reference levels :happy-smileygiantred:

Nice! That's a pretty cool looking cabinet too, with that shiny central cone area...

^ Thanks! Pauly I've been meaning to get in touch with you about getting our fams together one weekend, it's just been a bit hectic of late. if we can't put something together before Christmas, maybe a weekend after the new year?

Sure, we're flexible. Just ping me when you're ready!

To be clear Bats... You're saying that a single 15H is "on par" with the PB-13?

If/when you get a chance can you try stacking the two subs and let me know what that sounds like?

Towen7 said:
To be clear Bats... You're saying that a single 15H is "on par" with the PB-13?

If/when you get a chance can you try stacking the two subs and let me know what that sounds like?
Yes that is what I'm saying. I'm not sure how much of a dead heat it is, because the PB13 is no longer here to compare. But it sure is damn close. I believe it is capable of more output with the other port open but it got too late to try that out. It's more likely I'll place them side by side instead of stacking them since they're fairly heavy and they wouldn't fit under my screen stacked anyway for any type of permanent placement. I would say that this sub for $880 + shipping is nearly an untouchable VALUE in comparison to anything else currently on the market. I've had the best that SVS has to offer and it still MAY be a better overall product than the 15H, but I don't think it's close to $1k better than this sub. If I remember the pb13 with the new sledge amp is now upto $1799...with all that said, I certainly don't have the credentials or the equipment to make any crazy bold statements or ridiculous claims alluding to this sub being the 2010 home audio product of the year or anything like that, but after a couple nights with it and knowing what it cost, I'm incredibly pleased with my decision to give these a chance.

Bats, have you tried listening to it upright? I would think having it on its side would floor-couple it in ways that the designers may not have intended... I'd guess that plugging the "top" versus the "bottom" port would make a difference, too.

Botch said:
Bats, have you tried listening to it upright? I would think having it on its side would floor-couple it in ways that the designers may not have intended... I'd guess that plugging the "top" versus the "bottom" port would make a difference, too.
Although he didn't address me specifically, over on AVS, Pete from HSU stated it was perfectly fine to place the sub on it's side due to spacial considerations. The sub is taller than the PB13 when right-side up and although it fits under the screen material, it doesn't fit under the frame, so it'll stay on it's side (if anyone was wondering, it is not as wide or deep as the PB13). Also the manual didn't specifically talk about choosing one port over the other to plug, I didn't really give it much thought but can easily switch them w/o having to change any settings on amp to see if it makes any difference...

Zing said:
Batman said:
Botch said:
...Pete from HSU stated...
Pete? As in Peter Marks?? That's Altec's buddy! :laughing-rolling:

I wonder if his bruises (and ego) have healed yet. :eusa-whistle:
I don't know, is Peter Marks asian? The Pete that's been posting over at AVS called me to let me know the subs had shipped and to thank me for my purchase, and that Pete had an unmistakably asian voice on the other end of the phone... :think:

Batman said:
... I would say that this sub for $880 + shipping is nearly an untouchable VALUE in comparison to anything else currently on the market. I've had the best that SVS has to offer and it still MAY be a better overall product than the 15H, but I don't think it's close to $1k better than this sub. If I remember the pb13 with the new sledge amp is now upto $1799...with all that said, I certainly don't have the credentials or the equipment to make any crazy bold statements or ridiculous claims alluding to this sub being the 2010 home audio product of the year or anything like that, but after a couple nights with it and knowing what it cost, I'm incredibly pleased with my decision to give these a chance.

When this thread started, those were my exact thoughts. The PB-13 is an amazing sub. It was an especially great value at the $1428 I paid for it, with shipping (I just checked my invoice to verify that). Now, it's almost $500 more and the only real difference is the digitally controlled amp. (As an aside, I still prefer knobs on the sub so I don't have to go fiddling through a menu to adjust stuff.) I also prefer the finish on mine as opposed to a black wood veneer, but that is also strictly personal.

I won't declare this Hsu as a better sub until I hear it w/ music, but I think it deserves to be mentioned when asked for recommendations. T7, here's your chance to be bold and different w/o really being very bold.

John

I'll repeat, my HSU is 4/5 years old and never a peep of trouble. I still like it...wonder if bats would notice if I swapped for one of those newer fancier models.... :think:

Batman said:
I don't know, is Peter Marks asian? The Pete that's been posting over at AVS called me to let me know the subs had shipped and to thank me for my purchase, and that Pete had an unmistakably asian voice on the other end of the phone.
Don't know. Never spoke with the man. But I vividly remember an S+V thread about the Hsu MBM in which a Peter Marks joined to defend his company's product. Two things are certain: it didn't go well for him and he never returned. I always assumed he was busy nursing his wounds and his pride.
:violence-torch:

Back