• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Receiver???

Randy

Superstar
Ok so I know some of you guys followed the Plasma Project thread and the resulting that arose from it.

I need a new receiver with HDMI pass thru and great performance. Those are my only two real requirements.

I would like to stick in the $1000 range and I am not afraid of used or refurbs.

I already have some ideas but want your unbiased opinions if you don't mind.

This deal was inside the cover of the Crutchfield catalog I got yesterday; I'm considering it even though I don't need a receiver right now!

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA1020/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A1020.html

x022RXA1020-F.jpeg

$1,099, Special Purchase now $699.99!! :banana-dance:

(a couple folks here aren't fans of Yamaha, but I am, since 1978, fwiw)

I've always been a fan of Denon's units; while I also have a couple Yamahas I do prefer the Denons.

Their new AVR-X3000 has 7 HDMI inputs, scales to 4K, has 3D pass through, and analog to digital conversion so you can go with a single HDMI cable connection to your TV.

For $1000 I recommend the Denon X4000. It pretty much has every available feature that you can get today and you also get the most advanced Audessey room correction software. MSRP is $1300 but you should be able to get for $1k if you look around.

standard replies should include Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc...probably can't really go wrong with any of them.

i guess you could add Sony, Pioneer, NAD, Anthem, to that list as well

Thanks Bats, I kinda already had that much figured out. :eek:bscene-buttred: :teasing-tease: I was looking for more substantive stuff like Tom's posts.

Towen thanx and I was kinda thinking the same thing after reading a number of things re: Onkyos recent issues.

Botch I like the price of the Yamaha but I haven't heard anything of it as far as real world performance.

I will put my vote in for anything but Onkyo.

Ive had my 705 go down due to the dreaded HDMI problem right after warranty. Now my 885 prepro is exhibiting the same HDMI problems out warranty. Both were kept out in open due to getting hot to touch and still they are problems.

My Yamaha 2500 (basement system) gets pretty darned hot and I am only using it as a preamp.

Randy said:
My Yamaha 2500 (basement system) gets pretty darned hot and I am only using it as a preamp.
Mine ran hot, also, but that didn't seem to affect the life or performance. It's got one of the best GUI's of any gear I've used.

The new Yamaha CX-a5000 preamp is wicked good. Anyone wanna purchase an Onkyo 885?

Rope

Randy,

For a grand, I would go with an Outlaw 975 Pre/Pro (mine works great) and then look for a couple of 100 watt used, good quality power amps. Your speakers are Klipsch, which I think are super efficient, this setup would out perform any AVR for the same price.

:twocents-mytwocents:

Keith

You have an ATI amp, correct Randy?

If so, the only reason I would get a receiver would be for room correction software, if needed. Otherwise, I'd simply go with the Outlaw Heeman suggested.

The ATI is downstairs and staying there. The cabinet I bought for upstairs does not leave me the option of lugging the ATI upstairs.

The basement system is still gonna be my primary go to movie watchin lets go raise hell system. Upstairs is gonna be for more casual viewing.

I am leaning toward Marantz cuz I have always liked/ preferred the sound of the Marantz stuff I have run with my Klipsch stuff upstairs vs. other brands I have tried with them.

Love the input guys and thank you I am still considering all my options.

Randy said:
Thanks Bats, I kinda already had that much figured out. :eek:bscene-buttred: :teasing-tease: I was looking for more substantive stuff like Tom's posts.

Towen thanx and I was kinda thinking the same thing after reading a number of things re: Onkyos recent issues.

Botch I like the price of the Yamaha but I haven't heard anything of it as far as real world performance.
Actually it's funny I had linked the same S & V article as Tom before hitting submit, but didn't feel like taking the time to see if all receivers listed were current models so I backtracked.

Don't mind me I'm just working on my post count :teasing-tease:

Also I could be wrong but I thought a lot of Onkyo's issues were mostly isolated to a year or two worth of receivers put out around the xx5 and xx6 generations of product. I never had issues with my 885 or 886 preamps but then switched to Marantz just to try something new when I needed to be able to pass 3D.

Batman said:
Also I could be wrong but I thought a lot of Onkyo's issues were mostly isolated to a year or two worth of receivers put out around the xx5 and xx6 generations of product. I never had issues with my 885 or 886 preamps but then switched to Marantz just to try something new when I needed to be able to pass 3D.

Thats what I thought also then I started searching around and many 885 owners reporting the HDMI problem and it seems to be traced to heat and chinese caps that didnt handle the heat well.

Model as recent as last years line are reported HDMI failures. Woot a while back was running some models to sell out a while back and they has some poor sap that had been assigned to answer as a representative for Onkyo any questions the wooters may have. This poor guy was swamped with people pissed off. I have to hand it to him he was helpful as could be and referred them onto someone who would try to make it right for all there problems. He offered many including me to send our receipts and SN on to a Onkyo tech the offered huge discounts on there newest model lines. He guaranteed the issues were solved. He said u could now run an ONK 24-7 and would barely feel warm. And also droped there Chinese electronic distributor. I said thanks but no thanks that they needed to make this right a long time ago with a major recall.

Back