• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Receiver???

OK just thought I would post an update.

I am very happy with the new receiver overall. It works, that's a big deal right there, it's pretty user friendly and once setup it has performed without a glitch.

I wish I could say I was in love with this thing as I have been every other Marantz piece I have owned, but I am not.

It just doesn't seem to have the balls of my old SR870. It sounds good, there are absolutely no issues, it just seems a little anemic compared to it's predecessor.

I know gain and volume and input voltage and all that stuff all matter, but this thing doesn't play as loud as easy as the old unit. With the old receiver if the volume was at 50% it was LOUD. This thing has to be turned up to around 90 to get a comparable volume level and it still just aint the same.

Thoughts???

Ideas???

For example right now I am watching Rush Clockwork Angels on Palladia with the volume set at 50 and it is barely above normal listening levels and nowhere near reference level. I switch to NFL football and again barely over normal listening level.

Is the volume 0-100 a reference scale and 100 is the reference level set after calibration?

THX "reference" is 85db with 20db headroom. So, with a volume scale that ranges from 0 (mute) to 100 (as loud as the thing will play) you can try to calibrate your system to hit that 85db at any point you want. In order to have headroom though you can shoot for 85db around the 50% range on the volume knob. What's important is that all channels are producing the same db at the listening position.

Randy, I'm running an AV7701 preamp paired with Rotel amps. My volume scale is set to the -79.5 - 18dB range...my startup level and mute level is set to -40 which is too low for a normal listening. At a minimum I find it has to be in the -16 to -22 range but I'm not really happy with most material until I crank it to -6 to -8 range. Just so we're comparing apples to apples switch your volume scale in the setup menu and crank it to -6dB and see if you're getting anywhere.

Tom,
I didn't set it up manually. I just ran Audyssey and let it do its thing. With school and all I just never had time to try tweaking. It just didn't seem to have the balls my last Marantz had.

Batman,
That being said, I switched to the -79.5 -18dB range and it seems to have helped a bit. Not sure what the difference is but it does seem to have a bit more oomph.

And I made the switch right before they started playing YYZ :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock:

Randy, both Keith and I have noticed a similar "lack of oomph" in our respective old and new Yamaha receivers too; maybe the companies have gone to a slightly different way of rating power? I dunno. :think:

Well Marantz was always known for their realistic and real world power ratings so if that is the case I am less than impressed.

The thing is, all the reviews I read for the SR 7007 was that it was plenty powerful. And, it's not like my speakers are inefficient.

BUMP.
Randy, when you sent back the refurb to Marantz, what did Marantz send you for the warranty replacement? Is it new, refurb, ?

Well, according to what accessories4less told me, the one that arrived DOA was actually anew unit. In Marantz packaging with all Marantz labels etc.

The replacement they sent me was a refurb in a plain brown box.

And, the replacement they sent me has worked flawlessly from day one. I am enjoying it as I type.

Wonderful. So you sent that "dead" one to Marantz under warranty & Marrantz sent you a refurb, correct ? Just trying to know how that works.

I would assume that is how it worked.

I bought it as a refurb so I couldn't complain about getting a refurb back.

Back