• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New TV

Don't want to be the downer but . . . You don't need it. Take the money and add to your retirement. You'll thank yourself later (message posted from "later")

Don't want to be the downer but . . . You don't need it. Take the money and add to your retirement. You'll thank yourself later (message posted from "later")
Don't disagree with that. Still unsure of what I am going to do.

For what its worth; I just got a 55" Samsung QLED Q8FN and I love it!
Especially now that I got all components playing nicely together. See "there has got to be a better way" thread in this section.

So........I currently have a Samsung Qled tv sitting in the front room downstairs. Unopened. But it's only a 65 inch as they didn't have the 75. Still unsure of what to do. It was one of those use it or lose it type moments. I'm afraid that if I open it, I'll wish that I had gotten the 75 inch, not that I can't take it back even if I open it. I may check the supercenter in the next town over. They may have the 75 and help me make my decision.

Well, no 75 inch tv next town over, they didn't even carry the qled line, which is kind of surprising because they are considered a bigger market at that store. So I've got the tv up and running, the remote leaves a little to be desired, and the menu on the tv is gonna take some time getting used to, but what a great picture. Although, it almost seems like you are watching 4K video rather than a movie, if that makes sense. I haven't tweaked any of the settings yet, and need to learn what a few of them do, but overall it seems like a really good tv. And while it does seem smaller than the old one, I'm not sure I'll notice when watching. The other good thing about this tv, I don't have to unplug any hdmi cables to get sound from the 4K player.

Got a chance to play around with it yesterday. Hate the remote, but with the Harmony, that really isn't an issue. Compared to the Vizio, the menu is a little more confusing on the Samsung, and not always straightforward. Turning the tv speakers off wasn't called that, but something about the receiver or whatnot. Other than a few minor complaints, it seems to be a decent tv. Now the picture. After running the Disney WOW disk, I was a little underwhelmed. I calibrated the movie input and the natural input, and both were pretty close out of the box as far as settings. Movie setting looks a little soft, might a setting I'm missing. Threw in Prometheus 4K which I had seen, just not in 4K. I don't know about everybody else, but first couple of weeks of owning a new tv, I find myself switching between picture modes and tweaking it.

I happened to switch to the Standard setting, which is also the eco mode, but after switching, it looked weird but in a good way. It was like I was watching a high definition video instead of a movie. At times it looked like you were watching the movie from a window and it was playing out right outside it. I ended up watching the whole movie that way. Not sure if @Nufan has experienced anything like it or not. I will say, the same setting while watching something on Dish wasn't as good.

Streamed the Planet Earth series from Netflix in 4k or UHD and it was amazing. I have only watched John Wick and Gladiator from a 4k Blu-ray disk; Gladiator was underwhelming, I assume older movies will be like that since the format wasn't around at the time of release?
I am loving the TV though. i to am coming from a Vizio; 51" LCD bought at Costco about 5-6 yrs ago

Streamed the Planet Earth series from Netflix in 4k or UHD and it was amazing. I have only watched John Wick and Gladiator from a 4k Blu-ray disk; Gladiator was underwhelming, I assume older movies will be like that since the format wasn't around at the time of release?
I am loving the TV though. i to am coming from a Vizio; 51" LCD bought at Costco about 5-6 yrs ago
Maybe individual results will vary, but at least on the standard setting, Prometheus took on a whole new look. It made it almost look like video, which was kind of weird at first, but once you got used to it, it was kind of cool.

We have a 65" QLED. Pretty doesn't even begin to cover it. The only sets I've seen that might be better are the OLEDs from LG. And I wasn't convinced those were so much better to be worth the extra $500.

Got a chance to play around with it yesterday. Hate the remote, but with the Harmony, that really isn't an issue. Compared to the Vizio, the menu is a little more confusing on the Samsung, and not always straightforward. Turning the tv speakers off wasn't called that, but something about the receiver or whatnot. Other than a few minor complaints, it seems to be a decent tv. Now the picture. After running the Disney WOW disk, I was a little underwhelmed. I calibrated the movie input and the natural input, and both were pretty close out of the box as far as settings. Movie setting looks a little soft, might a setting I'm missing. Threw in Prometheus 4K which I had seen, just not in 4K. I don't know about everybody else, but first couple of weeks of owning a new tv, I find myself switching between picture modes and tweaking it.

I happened to switch to the Standard setting, which is also the eco mode, but after switching, it looked weird but in a good way. It was like I was watching a high definition video instead of a movie. At times it looked like you were watching the movie from a window and it was playing out right outside it. I ended up watching the whole movie that way. Not sure if @Nufan has experienced anything like it or not. I will say, the same setting while watching something on Dish wasn't as good.

I turned off the Eco setting. Like you, I noticed that there wasn't much calibration needed (I used the THX app on my phone). It was really pretty close out of the box. I had to kill the motion smoothing effects too- I hate what that does to motion.

I turned off the Eco setting. Like you, I noticed that there wasn't much calibration needed (I used the THX app on my phone). It was really pretty close out of the box. I had to kill the motion smoothing effects too- I hate what that does to motion.
Yeah, still learning what everything does, so I'm sure there are a few settings that I will turn off as well when I find them. To top off having a kind of confusing GUI, the owners manual is pretty minimal that came with it, and Samsung want you to download the full manual from it's website.

Congrats.
If it's the same small voice controlled remote I have it will grow on you. I absolutely hated it. Now that I'm use to it i kinda like the simplicity of it. Same goes for the menu system.
Enjoy

Congrats.
If it's the same small voice controlled remote I have it will grow on you. I absolutely hated it. Now that I'm use to it i kinda like the simplicity of it. Same goes for the menu system.
Enjoy
Thanks Jack. I just programmed the tv into the Harmony 650 and it's all good. Getting used to the menu as well.

So, since I seem to have more money than brains, and maybe it isn't a good thing that the wife works at Walmart and sees when a 75 inch Samsung tv comes in, but yes, I now have a 75 inch Samsung tv, although it's not a QLED. Biggest tv I've ever owned, although I've had a couple of 73 inchers. Going from a 73 inch, to a 70 inch last year, and then a 65 inch, it just felt like I was giving up too much real estate. I will say, hands down the QLED looks better, but the new tv isn't bad either. Plus, it rang up $200 cheaper than advertised, and once I take the QLED back, I'll have only spent about $150 more for this tv than the other one.

So, since I seem to have more money than brains, and maybe it isn't a good thing that the wife works at Walmart and sees when a 75 inch Samsung tv comes in, but yes, I now have a 75 inch Samsung tv, although it's not a QLED. Biggest tv I've ever owned, although I've had a couple of 73 inchers. Going from a 73 inch, to a 70 inch last year, and then a 65 inch, it just felt like I was giving up too much real estate. I will say, hands down the QLED looks better, but the new tv isn't bad either. Plus, it rang up $200 cheaper than advertised, and once I take the QLED back, I'll have only spent about $150 more for this tv than the other one.

Some people are just size queens.

Back