• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Official Sim Racing Thread

K

Thanks to FedEx that confirmation will have to wait. :thumbsdown:
BOO! HISS!
a6f565fc3fa51f8ceaaaff8d20ec6ab4efb20dd3_1.jpg

Well I spent some time with both Forza (horizons 4 which I got relatively cheap) and Assetto Corsa. My conclusions:

1) I have not the slightest fucking clue how to drive. This isn't surprising, really. I don't enjoy driving IRL (although getting a Cooper S has changed that somewhat), I don't watch racing on TV, and I have no knowledge of how any type of real race car actually works. Hell I don't even know if they have manual transmissions or what...

This translates into my lack of skill on the video screen. Plus it just doesn't make sense to me. No invisibility cloak, no poison arrows... what the hell kind of game is this, anyway?

2) Playing these games with a controller is deeply silly. (As is jumping your Lamborghini off cliffs in Forza, although it's mildly entertaining for a short while.) It's a little better than a mouse and keyboard, but not much. I'm sure I would get more out of these games with a real driving rig, but I'm not motivated to spend hundreds of dollars or more on finding out.

So, back to Assassin's Creed for me.

Well I spent some time with both Forza (horizons 4 which I got relatively cheap) and Assetto Corsa. My conclusions:

1) I have not the slightest fucking clue how to drive. This isn't surprising, really. I don't enjoy driving IRL (although getting a Cooper S has changed that somewhat), I don't watch racing on TV, and I have no knowledge of how any type of real race car actually works. Hell I don't even know if they have manual transmissions or what...

This translates into my lack of skill on the video screen. Plus it just doesn't make sense to me. No invisibility cloak, no poison arrows... what the hell kind of game is this, anyway?

2) Playing these games with a controller is deeply silly. (As is jumping your Lamborghini off cliffs in Forza, although it's mildly entertaining for a short while.) It's a little better than a mouse and keyboard, but not much. I'm sure I would get more out of these games with a real driving rig, but I'm not motivated to spend hundreds of dollars or more on finding out.

So, back to Assassin's Creed for me.
My God that was quick! What kind of scientist are you? Where's your scientific curiosity? Why are you not trying to understand the complexities at their root level? Did Newton say "Stupid apple keeps falling." and give up? Did Michelangelo say "That ceiling is kinda high." and grab a coloring book instead?

Come on, Gangsta. Do some of that gangsta shit, and shit.

Last edited:
My God that was quick! What kind of scientist are you? Where's your scientific curiosity? Why are you not trying to understand the complexities at their root level? Did Newton say "Stupid apple keeps falling." and give up? Did Michelangelo say "That ceiling is kinda high." and grab a coloring book instead?

Come on, Gangsta. Do some of that gangsta shit, and shit.
Ya, what he said.

Why are you not trying to understand the complexities at their root level?
lol Because to get to those "complexities" (real subtleties/skills of driving, even sim driving) I'd need more than a controller, I'm convinced. But it's too much $$ for me to take the gamble that I'd really love it enough to justify the hardware.

My Fantec gear arrived so you’re welcomed to rake the Logitech 920 for a spin. It clamps to your desk so all you’d need to do is secure your chair.

I've been telling Towen for months he could make more gains with a better wheel/pedal setup. He'll find out later today how right I am. Stand by for his confirmation.

Confirmed (FedEx came through).
The wheel/pedals make way more difference than the computer. As long as your PC can manage 60 FPS or so you’re fine on that front. More FPS won’t make you faster.

Last edited:
I think my upgrade path will be pedals with a load cell brake first. Being cheap I will probably try the Thrustmaster T-LCM's.

I think my upgrade path will be pedals with a load cell brake first. Being cheap I will probably try the Thrustmaster T-LCM's.
For about the same money, Mike, you could have Fanatec's CSL Elite pedals with the load cell option unless you need the third (clutch) pedal.

There's always the option of picking up a used ClubSport V3 set when Towen and I inevitably upgrade to Heusinkveld Ultimate.

For about the same money, Mike, you could have Fanatec's CSL Elite pedals with the load cell option unless you need the third (clutch) pedal.

There's always the option of picking up a used ClubSport V3 set when Towen and I inevitably upgrade to Heusinkveld Ultimate.
Unless I am missing something when I look up the CSL Elite pedals and scroll down I read this:

Optional Load Cell Kit (discontinued).

Please note: The CSL Elite Pedals Load Cell Kit has been discontinued and is no longer available for purchase.
The CSL Elite Pedals can be extended with the optional CSL Elite Pedals Load Cell Kit to add a loadcell brake for extremely precise braking by pressure rather than travel.

Which leaves me with the clubsport v3 at 359 US dollars out of the US with unknown duties , brokerage and tax, and shipping time.
I can get the Thrustmaster pedals T-LCM for 299 CAD from a local computer store today. Load cell brake and Hall effect for clutch and throttle.

heart_17_1.png

MAGNETIC TECHNOLOGY
The H.E.A.R.T (HallEffect AccuRate Technology) system — contactless technology without any potentiometers — ensures an unlimited lifespan and optimal accuracy in racing sessions: up to 16-bit resolution, representing 65,536 values per pedal.

I kind of like having the clutch even though I rarely drive with the clutch and stick shift....but just in case!!!

Black Friday is around the corner. I will keep my eyes peeled.

Unless I am missing something when I look up the CSL Elite pedals and scroll down I read this:

Optional Load Cell Kit (discontinued).
Huh. That must be fairly recent. I don't think it was too many weeks ago I noticed it was available.

Back