• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Official Sim Racing Thread

Which RTX is that?
3080 Ti.

Due to the state of things related to supply chain/chip shortage, I wasn't able to choose a brand so it was a "you're gonna get what you get and like it" type of thing. I probably would've opted for an EVGA card if I could've. But given the "TUF Gaming" marque on the card, I'm sure it's an Asus card and I'm OK with that too.

Full specs:
51647755598_864f5c1dcc_h.jpg

So I'm kinda vaguely toying with the idea of dipping my toes into this. The F1 type racing honestly doesn't appeal to me so much, but Steam is heavily promoting the upcoming (tomorrow) release of Forza Horizon 5, which looks cool - a bit more casual, more street / off-road type stuff. I dunno. Maybe I'll try it with a controller at first, see if I like it, as I've NEVER played any sort of driving/racing game. Then if so, maybe think about getting some minimal wheel controller like a Logitech G29 (and a stand?) ...

So I'm kinda vaguely toying with the idea of dipping my toes into this. The F1 type racing honestly doesn't appeal to me so much, but Steam is heavily promoting the upcoming (tomorrow) release of Forza Horizon 5, which looks cool - a bit more casual, more street / off-road type stuff. I dunno. Maybe I'll try it with a controller at first, see if I like it, as I've NEVER played any sort of driving/racing game. Then if so, maybe think about getting some minimal wheel controller like a Logitech G29 (and a stand?) ...

In my quest to be just like Zing I've upgraded my Logitech wheelbase to a Fanatec. My logitech is PC and Xbox compatible so If you're interested in a good deal on it LMK.
As for a stand ... I'd recommend you take a look at Next Level Racing.

I have a feeling between T and Z there is no dipping of the toes.
They will have you in a driver's suit right away.

There are two terms you should familiarize yourself with going forward: "simcade" and "simulator". As you can probably deduce, simcade refers to a game that offers a simulation experience, but with an emphasis on game. It's less about realism or realistic car physics and more about entertainment. The F1 games from Codemasters, Gran Turismo, Need For Speed, and Forza fall into the simcade category. To be clear, I'm not poo-pooing on simcades. Lord knows F1 2020 and 2021 have given me hours of enjoyment. But they've also given me hours of frustration due to their unrealistic physics. Full fledged, accurate simulators like Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione, rFactor, iRacing, et al are significantly more realistic with respect to IRL car behavior.

I only bring this up because if you end up not liking Forza so much, it may not be because you're just not into driving games, it could be because you'd prefer a simulator instead. Point being, don't base your final decision on Forza without also exploring one of the Assetto Corsa titles too.

I only bring this up because if you end up not liking Forza so much, it may not be because you're just not into driving games, it could be because you'd prefer a simulator instead. Point being, don't base your final decision on Forza without also exploring one of the Assetto Corsa titles too
Ok cool, thanks, I will!

Hey Zing,
I was wondering ,besides the dlc's for Assetto Corsa have you ever downloaded any user made cars or tracks? There are a few I wouldn't mind having!!
Edit: I found a sight called racedepartment.com , which seems to have what I am looking for and it's free for the basic membership.

Last edited:
Hey Zing,
I was wondering ,besides the dlc's for Assetto Corsa have you ever downloaded any user made cars or tracks? There are a few I wouldn't mind having!!
Edit: I found a sight called racedepartment.com , which seems to have what I am looking for and it's free for the basic membership.
Alright, this is downright uncanny. Just yesterday I did exactly that for the first time. I picked up the Watkins Glen circuit from racedepartment and a 2020 Formula 1 car from racesimstudio.

GD @Zing and @Towen7, you fuckers are going to cost me more money....!! I know for a fact my computer running these race sims is a dog...my so tells me all the time!! I am still using a Logitech G27 wheel and pedals.
In your esteemed opinion(don't say both) what do you think gave you the better gains/driver satisfaction? Better computer or better wheel and pedals??

In your esteemed opinion(don't say both) what do you think gave you the better gains/driver satisfaction? Better computer or better wheel and pedals??
I've been telling Towen for months he could make more gains with a better wheel/pedal setup. He'll find out later today how right I am. Stand by for his confirmation.

If you really want to split hairs, the pedals will likely offer the largest improvement while the wheel and base add more to immersion and enjoyment but still carry some driving benefits. If not breaking the bank is a top priority for you, look into Fanatec's new CSL DD base. Be prepared to wait months for delivery though. I wouldn't mess with anything other than a direct drive system. And if you've got some spare cash to blow, look into the Simucube 2 Ultimate. You really can't do any better.

I've been telling Towen for months he could make more gains with a better wheel/pedal setup. He'll find out later today how right I am. Stand by for his confirmation.

If you really want to split hairs, the pedals will likely offer the largest improvement while the wheel and base add more to immersion and enjoyment but still carry some driving benefits. If not breaking the bank is a top priority for you, look into Fanatec's new CSL DD base. Be prepared to wait months for delivery though. I wouldn't mess with anything other than a direct drive system. And if you've got some spare cash to blow, look into the Simucube 2 Ultimate. You really can't do any better.
I had to google what the heck a load cell pedal was, versus my pedals that use a potentiometer . Clearly the load cell is the way to go. I think, according to Fanatec website I could mix their pedals and my old logitech wheel. Might be an option for me!!!

GD @Zing and @Towen7, you fuckers are going to cost me more money....!! I know for a fact my computer running these race sims is a dog...my so tells me all the time!! I am still using a Logitech G27 wheel and pedals.

I bet your PC isn't as much of a bottleneck as you may think. If it is, try turning some of the visual settings down. After a few sends of sim-driving I quit noticing the graphics at all. I've only played Assetto Corsa on both the last gen Xbox and my new PC ... both using just the Logitech G920 ... and I have to say that it's a significantly better experience on the PC. Not because of the graphics (which are better but not night-and-day better), but the gameplay just feels different. My wheel has a lor more FFB strength on the PC than on the XBOX.

If FedEx comes through I'll have a full Fanatec setup by this evening and I'll be able to comment on whether the console-to-PC or Logitech-to-Fanatec made the bigger difference.

Any video or screenshot I've shared has been taken with my phone. Video in particular is a huge pain handholding a phone. I just learned this morning how to use The GeForce Experience to do the capturing. Still some kinks to work out but the results are much improved and the capture process is a walk in the park now.

My trial attempt: Opening lap at the Glen against 9 AI opponents set to max aggression (they're ruthless, savage bastards).

*EDIT* All versions of video quality available all the way up to 2160p

Did you have the AI set to Valterri Bottas mode?

Some of those overtakes looked like the Red Sea parting for Moses

Or maybe you just make it LOOK easy.

K

Thanks to FedEx that confirmation will have to wait. :thumbsdown:

Back