• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Out with the old...

They're beautiful!! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Very nice.

I've not heard the MA line above silver, so I'll be interested in your impressions after dialing them in and spending a little time with them.

If you're coming to Bats GTG, it would be a nice treat for all if these where there for an audition!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Razz said:
If you're coming to Bats GTG, it would be a nice treat for all if these where there for an audition!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Don't think I'll be able to make it and even if I could I'm not sure how I'd get the speakers there...

Houston, we may have a problem. I noticed that one of the PL100 tweeters appears to have a slight defect. Here's the good tweeter:

2680613950086574373S600x600Q85.jpg

And the other:

2844622200086574373S600x600Q85.jpg

2310505880086574373S600x600Q85.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pictures, and even in person it's not all that noticeable, but it's enough to bug me. Wanting to know if it was affecting the sound, I broke out True RTA and ran four quick sweeps on each speaker and averaged them. Here are the two averages plotted together:

2561670730086574373S600x600Q85.jpg

They're almost exactly the same so that makes me feel a little better. Hopefully you can go to my Webshot album to see the full-size photo. The store where I purchased these ordered an identical pair for their showroom so I'll probably ask my salesperson about the possibility of swapping...

I dunno, in the range where the ribbons are likely to be most active - >5k (dunno where the xover is) - there's some substantial difference. Did you measure the speakers in the exact same location, or set up where they are left/right? That's also a very comb-filter-looking graph, did you measure each speaker individually (without the other one being on at all)?

Anyway, for new speakers of this price magnitude, I'd expect them to be pretty bloody perfect...

PaulyT said:
I dunno, in the range where the ribbons are likely to be most active - >5k (dunno where the xover is) - there's some substantial difference. Did you measure the speakers in the exact same location, or set up where they are left/right? That's also a very comb-filter-looking graph, did you measure each speaker individually (without the other one being on at all)?

Anyway, for new speakers of this price magnitude, I'd expect them to be pretty bloody perfect...

The x-over is 2800 Hz. Here are the smoothed (1/6 octave) averages plotted together:

2612057530086574373S600x600Q85.jpg

Each speaker was measured individually in the same location but I doubt I got them in the 'exact' same spot but they were pretty darn close. Mic was about 1 meter away, pointed up, and centered between the tweeter and woofer.

Well if it's the usual omnidirectional mic (like the ecm8000), then it shouldn't matter, really.

Yeah, that graph looks more like what I'm used to, guess it's just the smoothing.

Chuck,
Even if there's no problem with the sound...I'd exchange (or at least get a replacement tweeter- or two).

Bottom line, the speaker should have NO flaws.

jamhead said:
Chuck,
Even if there's no problem with the sound...I'd exchange (or at least get a replacement tweeter- or two).

:text-+1:

I know it's a pain in the ass Chuck but look at it this way. YOU may feel better after running the sweeps that there's no harm but when it comes time to get rid of them, you're going to have a tough time convincing someone else of it and that's going to make for a HUGE loss. I'd strongly recommend you consider having it exchanged.

jamhead said:
Chuck,

Agreed, especially for what those puppies cost...

me too...

such a hassle to return but I know that little dent will ALWAYS be on your mind.

just return it and give yourself piece of mind.

When i bought my Dynaudio 220's the tweeter was bent, I call to return them and they asked me to pull it out with duck tape..... that was a mistake as it pulled off a touch of the coating on the tweeter. They tried to assure me that there would be no audio difference but I just couldn't live with the fact that it wasn't "perfect" (even though I could not hear a difference).

I paid a lot of money for great speakers and there was no way I could swallow it. I removed the tweeter and packaged it up....

Sent it back, no complaints, finally found happiness...... :music-rockout:

I sent an email this morning describing the problem and included a link to the photos. My wife was going to be stopping by the store later this week anyway to pick up the Anthem so it won't be a big deal to have her drop off the current speakers. Hopefully they'll just be able to swap out my pair with the pair they just ordered to use as demos...

I would measure the THD, but you don't have those tools.

Replace the tweeter. That's my advice - if they are "matched", replace both.

Holy crap!!! Those speakers are beautiful. I can't wait to see and hear those in my room. (Those of you asking for demos might want to consider that.)

I would swap the tweeter and Flint brought up a point I hadn't considered but is very valid.

I also think you chose well on the pre/pro. That is my dream unit.

Having said all of that, the only left to do is bow and say, "You SUCK!!"

John

MAs and Anthem AVM 50v:
2162735060086574373S600x600Q85.jpg

My wife sewed a slipcover for the rosewood SVS PB12-Plus/2 so it now matches the rest of the room much better:
2971488290086574373S600x600Q85.jpg

Close-up of an MA Platinum PL100 and you can get a glimpse of my DIY speaker cables (14 gauge in-wall speaker cable wrapped with TechFlex and finished with cable pants):
2171919430086574373S600x600Q85.jpg

Overall this upgrade has not been going that well. One of the MA tweeters appeared to have a manufacturing defect and had to be replaced. The Anthem was sporadically dropping audio so I just sent it back for service after trading emails with tech support for a week. I also bought a 12V trigger cable from Radio Shack which proved to be bad (I was originally worried that it was a problem with a new APC HT15 power conditioner) but an ohmmeter showed that it was a cable issue. The ohmmeter also found two more bad cables at Rat Shack before I finally found a good one.

Wanting an audition space for the old equipment as I try to sell it, I set up a two channel listening room in the bedroom I use for an office. It was originally intended just for the Dynaudio Focus speakers and the Outlaw 990, but with the Anthem out for repair and a need to test the new MA tweeter, I've been enjoying this setup:

2134855360086574373S600x600Q85.jpg

2121305080086574373S600x600Q85.jpg

Back