• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Paradigm CC V2 vs CC 450

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
I have been searching the web trying to find the difference between the CC V2 and the CC 450 Center Speaker by Paradigm.

Does anyone here not the difference and the history??

Paradigm Says:

These are both Studio Series Center Speakers and any of the Studio Series Speakers up to Version 3 should work fine with my Version 1 60's.

They Also Said that they CC would work much better than just a single Studio 20 as the center.

heeman said:
Paradigm Says:

These are both Studio Series Center Speakers and any of the Studio Series Speakers up to Version 3 should work fine with my Version 1 60's.

They Also Said that they CC would work much better than just a single Studio 20 as the center.

They are going to say that because they developed and marketed that speaker as a center channel speaker. They would be hard pressed to admit that they were not building the best speaker or design for any given application. They also don't want folks goin around tellin people that center channel speaker with a horizintal driver array are a big ole compromise and that so many of them are only sold because they fit nicely on top of a display. This harkens back to the old RPTV big screens and with all the flat panels out this really isn't even true any more. It is however what most consumers expect a center channel speaker to look like. Although they do fit nicely on a lot of stands for flat screens.

Now we can't have the inmates goin around runnin the asylum now can we?? Listen to them if you want and be happy with what you have or get, but just remember several of the members of this forum told you before you even knew that you had version 1 Studio 60's. Now who's lookin out for ya?? :happy-smileygiantred:

BTW, I have a Studio Center because I bought my front 3 speakers as a package used. If I had it all to do over again I would probably have a center with a vertical driver array. Like another Studio 20 or perhaps another Studio 40. This would be on a floor stand in front of my front projector and screen setup.

Randy, I have read on other forums the "downfalls of horizontal arrays for center channel speakers".

Others here have told me to just use a Studio 20 as the center and I will be just fine, actually better than a CC V2 OR CC 450.

If I was to us a single Studio 20 and if I laid it down insteed of stood it up, would I be sacrificing much??

That would kinda defeat the purpose of using a Studio 20. Speakers with a vertical driver array tend to have better horizontal dispersion. Speakers with a horizontal driver array have better vertical dispersion which causes lobing in the midrange and other problems.

See, and these guys all thought I never paid attention to all the smart guy talk.

heeman said:
Randy, I have read on other forums the "downfalls of horizontal arrays for center channel speakers".

Others here have told me to just use a Studio 20 as the center and I will be just fine, actually better than a CC V2 OR CC 450.

If I was to us a single Studio 20 and if I laid it down insteed of stood it up, would I be sacrificing much??

You might as well get a properly desired center at that point.

So the Studio 20 in the vertical position as a center speaker will be the best bet??

I will just have to raise the Plasma about 15 inches.

Woith your 60's as mains I would say you could use a Studio 20, 40, or 60 V1 dependant on room and such.

I am guessing from your last post if you used a Studio 60 as a center you would have to raise your plasma a lot more...

I was under the impression that horizontal drivers were more of a problem with an MTM design - which is more directional in the plane of the drivers (and is what most CC's tend to be for some reason), and hence off-axis response left/right is degraded when the drivers are horizontal. If it's a 2-driver speaker like a Studio 20, I don't think the orientation would matter quite as much.

Flint or someone, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Anyway, if you're always sitting spot-on in the middle of the center sweet spot, then it's moot, you can put the speakers however you want. This whole CC issue has more to do with off-axis listening when you've got multiple seats with some not centered.

PaulyT said:
I was under the impression that horizontal drivers were more of a problem with an MTM design - which is more directional in the plane of the drivers (and is what most CC's tend to be for some reason), and hence off-axis response left/right is degraded when the drivers are horizontal. If it's a 2-driver speaker like a Studio 20, I don't think the orientation would matter quite as much.

Flint or someone, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Anyway, if you're always sitting spot-on in the middle of the center sweet spot, then it's moot, you can put the speakers however you want. This whole CC issue has more to do with off-axis listening when you've got multiple seats with some not centered.

Pauly, you are right, regarding the MTM design being a bit worse. But placing aStudio 20 on it's side is still less than optimal.

I however always sit right in the middle and don't really care what the rest of the family hears, but I am kinda selfish like that. And, they dont know the difference anyway.

Heeman,
I'm pretty certain the CC V.2 is the CC450.

In V.3 I believe they came out with both 450 and 550.

Randy said:
I however always sit right in the middle and don't really care what the rest of the family hears, but I am kinda selfish like that. And, they dont know the difference anyway.
Randy, if I liked you before, I like you a lot more now! :happy-smileygiantred:

As for the topic, I think you're both right. It is indeed the midrange lobing with off-axis listening (the more off axis the listening, the more extreme the lobing issues) that plagues traditional horizontally configured center channel speakers. And I believe you'll likely experience the same issues with a speaker like the Studio 20 on its side. But I also think you've got to be really off axis to notice it. Still, that didn't stop me from trying to prevent it anyway even though I can't sit very far off axis.

002.jpg

What is the definition of MTM Design??

I will assume that the CC V2; CC 450 are MTM Designs??

Bare with me, I just want to make sure the when I spend the cash it is the correct speaker.

Zing said:
Still, that didn't stop me from trying to prevent it anyway even though I can't sit very far off axis.

002.jpg

:text-coolphotos:

Totally off topic, but Zing, are those Totem Model 1's? Very nice!

Okay, now I know the acronym!

So, most Center Speakers are MTM Designs.

SO the BIG QUESTION IS:

To MTM or not to MTM!!! :angry-tappingfoot:

AndySTL said:
Totally off topic, but Zing, are those Totem Model 1's? Very nice!
No, they're Swan (HiVi) D2.1SE.

038-1-1.jpg

Forgive our temporary hijack Heeman.

No Problem.........I just need to sort this out!!!

As usual, I am being accuse from my better half, of "make this more of a big deal than it needs to be" She says "Do you think WE will really notice the difference if you buy the CC or the Studio 20 for the center?"

Help me out here guys (I have to admit it, but she is probably right, I do this will all major purchases and projects), but they usually turn out just right! :music-rockout:

Back