• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Paradigm Studio 20 v3 upgrade to Studio 60 v5?

BrianZ said:
Bob R said:
Late to the party here.

Brian, I have five matched Studio 20 ver 5's with a 25-31+ SVS cylinder sub.

The difference between without and with a sub is like night and day. Although I can shake the house with the sub, it is invisible with music.

There is no need to worry about matching the 20's with a good sub.

Think about a good SVS tube or box instead of the 10" from parts express. IMO the sub is where you want to spend some cash.

Good Luck

thanks but that seems like too much to me, both in price and quake (actually i don't even see those model nos. on the SVS site anymore). i'm 99% sure i'm gonna give a little one a try.

Good choice to start with the DIY Sub.......

Don't forget to post pic's in the DIY Section.

You want the frequency response curve after you get everything calibrated to be relatively flat from about 50Hz to 160Hz. It is more important that the range in the 100Hz to 200Hz be smooth than below that, but you want to try to get the response flat across the bass range with no obvious large dips or peaks. You can control the peak or dip at the crossover frequency by using the phase control on the subwoofer's amp. By adjusting that you want the crossover frequency (likely 80Hz) to be as flat as possible with no dip or peak, but if that affects the 100Hz to 200Hz range, it is more important to get flat.

BrianZ said:
Rope said:
Arbitrary screenshots exhibiting some of the tools available within AudioTool App.

AudioTool Users Guide

Rope

Bookmarked. Thanks. This can also be done with a Mac laptop I assume? (my phone is only an old Palm Pixi)

I can only assume. I'm an Android tablet user, but it would be odd if there's no "i" version.

Rope

Do you use the tablet's microphone or do you have an external one that you use?

There's an iOS version but it's $20 and the recent reviews are not good.

AndySTL said:
Do you use the tablet's microphone or do you have an external one that you use?

There's an iOS version but it's $20 and the recent reviews are not good.

Yes, I use the tablets mic.

The iOS ($19.99) version does not look anything like the Android version ($6.99). Plus the iOS version has different add on modules that could run into lots more $$$$$$$.

Rope

You can get REW (free) for Mac:

:text-link:

I've used the PC version and it's a good app. You will however probably need an external mic? Not sure if you can use a laptop's built-in mic for this, whether it's remotely accurate enough to be useful... (I use a Behringer ECM8000)

Just wanted to add my $0.02. I also have 20's v2 with an old SVS tube sub like BobR has. Outstanding 2.1 system. Shaking walls etc comes from a good sub that can handle LFE and/or real low hz signals. A great sub will give good clean lower notes, kick drum, etc. not bommie sounds. If no LFE signal...no ground shaking, just clean bass.

Barney said:
Just wanted to add my $0.02. I also have 20's v2 with an old SVS tube sub like BobR has. Outstanding 2.1 system. Shaking walls etc comes from a good sub that can handle LFE and/or real low hz signals. A great sub will give good clean lower notes, kick drum, etc. not bommie sounds. If no LFE signal...no ground shaking, just clean bass.

thanks, Barney. i know it's a bit of a gamble but i'm gonna take my chances that the 10" Dayton will give me enough. at $400 bones, small footprint and the good rep around here it's too tempting not to try. we'll see.

PaulyT said:
You can get REW (free) for Mac:

I've used the PC version and it's a good app. You will however probably need an external mic? Not sure if you can use a laptop's built-in mic for this, whether it's remotely accurate enough to be useful... (I use a Behringer ECM8000)

that's great, thanks! that will be the one i try. i have a Shure SM57 vocal/instrument mic here. think that'll work ok? just not sure if i have the adapter(s) needed to get it connected to the Mac.

Others may comment, but actually no I don't think the SM57 will work well, because as a vocal mic it has a definite non-linear response pattern that's intended to bring out the vocal range. See Shure's spec sheet from their site:

Though I suppose, if you had a calibration file for that mic, it might be possible to correct for it... The ECM8000 is designed as a measurement mic and is pretty nearly flat in response across the range. There may be less expensive options out there; Soundhound either here or @ S&V had a description of an inexpensive DIY mic that had flat response. We might be able to dig that up.

Yes there will still be the issue of connecting a pro-sound (XLR) mic to the computer; I use an older M-audio mobile pre usb for that, but again there may be cheaper options.

Agree with Paulie; an SM-57 wouldn't work well. And thanks Paulie, I remembered Soundhound's thread but couldn't remember who'd done it.

ok. hm, well i also have a pretty nice Tascam hand held field recorder (DR-1) that sends sound to the 1/8th headphone jack when in record-pause mode. i imagine i could just send that to a mic input on the mac (i'm pretty sure it has one).

Use the shure. Just get the response you measure to look like the response of the mic. The flattest measured performance will perfectly match the Mic's response curve as published in the owner's manual. This is for bass, so that's fine.

If you tune the system to look "flat" in the measurement software using the Shure SM57, the real response will have too much bass.

Possible... The main thing to know is whether that mic - or whatever mic you're using - has flat response, or some sort of calibration file available for your application that corrects for non-linearity. If not, then you'd be calibrating your room response to an uneven curve, which is worse than not calibrating at all, probably. Some may also have a pretty steep drop-off in the very low frequencies, e.g. the SM57 to avoid LF "pops" from the vocal mic, making them not useful even for adjusting just the bass region.

ok, i'll play with it.

since ALL mics have their own response characteristic (which is different from my ears) it seems this would be an issue no matter what you use, no? in fact since everyone's ears are different then i'd guess there's no such thing as 'neutral' anyway, lol.

and i'm glad you mentioned the vocal mic pop issue because i vaguely remember that my Tascam has a pop reducer setting or something. or maybe it's a wind noise filter or something. anyway i'll have to remember to turn that off.

PaulyT said:
Some may also have a pretty steep drop-off in the very low frequencies, e.g. the SM57 to avoid LF "pops" from the vocal mic, making them not useful even for adjusting just the bass region.

That's kind of what I was thinking, the -57 is down 10 dB @ 50 Hz, don't know if that's too much or not...

Shure-SM57-Frequency-Response.jpg

Neutral is the speaker system accurately reproducing an acoustic event with the highest possible precision. Then everyone who hears it will interpret it as real after their ears do their thing.

Back