• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Pulled the trigger! Yamaha RX-V867 for $479.99 from New Egg

garypf

New Egg posted a deal I couldn't pass up. The Yamaha RX-V867 for $479.99. I should receive it in a few days. It will replace a Yamaha RX-V740 which is still working beautifully but is becoming obsolete - no HDMI. The RX-V867 has 6 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs as well as Ethernet. Looking forward to replacing my jury-rigged connections with a much simpler layout.
I plan on connecting my DirecTV HD DVR via HDMI to the receiver as well as the LG BD390 Blu Ray player. The Wii will use component video. I'll run HDMI monitor out to the TV, a Samsung 40" LED (which I bought last month when lightning fried my LCD TV).
Does anyone have this particular model? I did not purchase an extended warranty and was wondering if anyone here does.

Re: Pulled the trigger! Yamaha RX-V867 for $479.99 from New

I also have some questions that I'm hoping some of the regulars can answer. I like coming to this site because it is fun and I learn much about the hobby as well as new music and movies.
1) The receiver does analog to HDMI upscaling. With the Wii connected via component video, and the TV connected to the receiver via HDMI, will I still need to connect a component video cable from the receiver to the TV in order to display the game on the screen?
2) With the LG BD390, in the menu do I set the player to "Pass Thru" for DTS-Master Audio and Dolby TruHD and let the receiver handle the decoding?
3) Video processing. Do I let the receiver handle it, since it upscales analog to HDMI, or do I let the Samsung LED handle the video processing?
Thank you for your assistance.

Welcome aboard.....I'm tired and am useless to anwer your questions, but we appreciate the enthusiasm and yes there is much useful knowledge to tap here....welcome aboard!

1. No
2 Yes
3 Receiver
4 welcome aboard Gary. That's a nice unit you got there.

Nice purchase. Congrats!

Great deal! And the obligatory: YOU SUCK! :laughing:

:text-welcomewave:
Congrats! I got the 765 (one model lower) for a few dollars higher, you got a good deal! My receiver also replaced an older Yamaha unit, a CA-810 Integrated Amp from 1979 (it didn't have HDMI either :D ).

Well done. Congrats!

I have an older Rotel without HDMI and will probably stay that way for awhile. :cry:

Good Luck with your new toy.

:text-welcomewave: To the site!

jamhead said:
Well done. Congrats!

I have an older Rotel without HDMI and will probably stay that way for awhile. :cry:

Slacker :eek:bscene-buttred:

I have that same receiver in my living room. You will only connect an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. I would set the resolution to "through" (I believe that's what Yamaha calls it) and let the TV do the scaling (when it is even needed). Set the BD player's audio to "Pass Thru".

Some things you should enjoy about this receiver are the Internet apps (Internet radio, Sirius Internet radio - if you have an account, Pandora, etc.), the ability to do HDMI switching with the receiver off (if someone doesn't like having to "turn all that stuff on just to watch TV") and I am making big usee of the dual HDMI outs by sharing my living room BD player and sat box with my bed room.

Some things that aren't perfect are generally minor, but can be frustrating. The FM tuner is these newer Yamahas is a real PITA (which is why I LOVE Internet radio). The remote is fair but the small buttons are sometimes frustrating. And my single biggest gripe about Yamaha for years: Being able to ensure that I'm listening to a movie without being in one of their 672 sound modes but still using bass management and the configuration I've setup. (They call it "Straight" now I believe and it is accessed by setting the program to "Surround Decoder". "Direct" is the "pure audio" mode.)

You will enjoy your new toy.

John

-B- said:
jamhead said:
Well done. Congrats!

Slacker :eek:bscene-buttred:

Yes....yes I am. But, also a poor slacker as well. :cry:

jamhead said:
Well done. Congrats!

No wonder the economy is in a slump! Don't you know you're supposed to borrow & spend? Get with it, man! :teasing-neener:

Orbison said:
jamhead said:
Well done. Congrats!

No wonder the economy is in a slump! Don't you know you're supposed to borrow & spend? Get with it, man! :teasing-neener:

Lol!

Do you have an external HDMI switcher? If so I don't think your missing a great deal.

Thank you for the info. And thanks for the "you suck" cheer. Now I'm an official member of the club. I plan on programming my master remote control
(MX-800) to deal with the remote issue. Also it will help my marriage if I simplify things for the wife. LOL.

-B- said:
Orbison said:
jamhead said:
Well done. Congrats!

Lol!

Do you have an external HDMI switcher? If so I don't think your missing a great deal.

Nope. Don't have one of those either. But then, I don't have ANY video in my HT room either. Going against the norm, I know....but why watch a movie when you can hear it?

My family room has my 57" RPTV which has one HDMI connection, which is used by my blu-ray player. The HD Time warner is hooked up component. My theater room is still awaiting a projector. Once I determine which one/how to hook it up, I'll upgrade my DVD player to blu-ray in there and start using HDMI connections.

I'll also have to wire the room for TV service at that time.

So, right now, no need for much over HDMI. But see, I'm old school. I love my RPTV and think the picture is FANTASTIC. I also love my CD collection and will never rip them to a server....I'll continue to display my CD's and walk over to the rack to insert whatever I want to listen to. I'm not as hip as you youngsters with your ipad sqeezebox whatever you call it :teasing-tease:

Oh, sorry for the thread jack. :text-threadjacked:

jamhead said:
I'll continue to display my CD's and walk over to the rack to insert whatever I want to listen to. I'm not as hip as you youngsters with your ipad sqeezebox whatever you call it :teasing-tease:

611_140927_450000000.jpg

dinosaur-statue.jpg

:laughing-rolling:

Back