• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Saldog's Basement Build Thread

Both can swing
20150208_103908.jpg

Hinges
20150208_103941.jpg

Added middle trim
IMG_0420.jpg

And top trim
IMG_0421.jpg

Then side trim, and casing
IMG_0422.jpg

With baseboards
IMG_0423.jpg

Final product, albeit before sanding, stain, and poly
20150208_155735.jpg

Bottom detail
20150208_155745.jpg

Lesson 1: Chris has great attention to detail (like we didn't already know that)
Lesson 2: Wood is NEVER perfectly straight
Lesson 3: Math is helpful, especially geometry
Lesson 4: Routers make a lot of dust

Thanks again Chris.

We even squeezed in a trip to the Philly Auto Show Saturday night.

Fin climbed into the back of a Dodge Ram.
20150207_200339.jpg

He also liked the Harley display.
20150207_190529.jpg

Equus selfie.
IMG_0414.jpg

Absolutely AWESOME!!

Great Job.................

I see SPAX screws, use them all the time!

That was a fun but tedious project! I wish we could've had a little more time to relax in the basement and theater area, but we will next time! I did get a chance to check things out a bit, and in person the space is every bit as nice as the pictures show. It's really cozy, and Mike put a really nice system together. I can't answer questions about how things sound since we only lounged around chatting on Friday night while watching part of Iron Man 2 after channel surfing. But I was glad to be a part of a finishing touch and look forward to seeing pics of the bookcase after additional sanding & staining.

Hey Chris,

Once again, nice job!

What were the biggest challenges?

What did you learn?

I love to ask these questions and hear the answers to help with up coming projects.

Thanks!

This evening i'm hoping to remove all pencil marks (i found a magic eraser works well for that), and fill any holes with wood putty. Then we can start sanding tomorrow.

Edit: I have to clean the garage out tonight, too... just a bit of sawdust in there :happy-smileygiantred:

Crap! had a post finished and my iPad died before hitting submit. When I came back the post was gone of course. I'm heading out to work and will post when I get home Heeman.

heeman said:
Hey Chris,

Once again, nice job!

What were the biggest challenges?

What did you learn?

I love to ask these questions and hear the answers to help with up coming projects.

Thanks!
The most difficult and time consuming thing to deal with was getting the jambs in level, square and plumb. The wooden studs in the wall opening were twisted at the bottom and due to the basement floor the 2x4 plate on the floor wasn't level either. So a lot of shims were needed to get and keep things lined up. Another thing that posed an issue was that due to the limitations of my miter saw, we couldn't quite match the angle of the left bookshelf to the angle of the stairwell. I'm sure that professional carpenters have a trick I just don't know of. Since we didn't want to waste a lot of time on it, we got it as close as we could and adjusted the appearance of that angle with trim at the top of the bookshelf. Had I known before we built the jambs that we going to have that problem, I would've suggested changing the angle of the upper left jamb to 45° and we would've had a near flawless build. Mike and I worked really well collaborating on the construction of the unit. We were on the same page the whole weekend and when we weren't sure how to approach something we didn't butt heads and came up with solutions. Most of the steps to building this thing were time consuming but those two issues were the only "hiccups." For a couple guys that don't do this for a living, I'm pretty happy with the quality of construction we achieved. And at some point soon I'm ready to dive in with both feet into the next project, at home or otherwise.

Thanks Chris!

Always interesting to hear about these things.

Renovation work is always so much harder than a blank slate!

You and Mike will be the only ones that will see that issue, unless you point it out to people.

That room is so nice and the functionality of those 2 swing doors, no one will ever notice.

Once again, great job to both of you!

Stained and poly'd. I'll take better pictures once everything is dry and the painters tape is off. It always amazes me how much oak changes in appearance with stain.

20150315_171108.jpg

20150315_171045.jpg

I forgot to post a picture. As you can see, we have some priming/painting to do of the white trim, but otherwise it's done and functional. The Mel Brooks Collection box is throwing me off as to where to put it, so i put the Star Wars DVD trilogy in front of it :)

20150326_114217.jpg

Also, my MIL made me a couple black velvet curtains for the theater windows. They don't photograph well (which is good, as they absorb all the light).
20150321_212610.jpg

Back