• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Saldog's Basement Build Thread

Ya, I really like how that is turning out.

I was at a pool party recently where the guy had a dedicated HT, but I didn't get to check it out. I wondered how nicely done it was and hoe much thought was put into it.

I have been really impressed with the dedicated rooms you guys have put together and I want one.

Do you think the panel on the ceiling should be a little forward from where you've drawn it?

I had the same thought but Saldog is a math wiz, so I assumed he did some crazy geometry to calculate the placement.

You guys are very astute. I drew it that way because that's where i'll want it to go once i DIY the other panels that will fully cover the 1st reflection points for all 3 front speakers. For now, i will probably push the 1 panel forward to at least catch the center channel's 1st reflection point.

A quick teaser pic of the addition(s) to the theater.

Out with the old, in with the new! A slight size difference between them...

35DsZEgaRCHGfiUJCb6fhNvNHkny19tW5x8NeBY2aqI=w493-h657-no

It's an S3000i.

I actually got 2 of them, used. They still have 4.75 years of warranty left. One is going along the front screen wall, and the other is on the riser as an end table :)

I'll take more pics tonight or tomorrow. I just got them in the room late last night. Still haven't run Audyssey yet.

You are going to really enjoy them............ BOOM BOOM!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

As i mentioned, i didn't run calibration yet, but i hooked them up last night and listened to a few songs, since Renate was with me, and songs are way more fun than pink noise and Audyssey "woops".

Since listening to some of Flint's demo disc with him in the Batcave, I really liked the Rufus Wainwright song "Oh What a World". I've played it in my theater several times since then, so i started with that. The tuba and the drums sound SOOO much fuller and more impactful. I played Awolnation "Sail", because that's a fun, bass-heavy song, and it seriously pressurized the room and shook the whole couch, even at -25 MV. Looking forward to really dialing them in!

On a related note, my acoustic panels are supposed to arrive today! I feel a cough coming on... perhaps i need to work from home tomorrow ;)

^ it sounds like you may have walking pneumonia or something similar....when I had it I was in bed for a week!! :eusa-whistle:

saldog said:
I feel a cough coming on... perhaps i need to work from home tomorrow ;)
Don't be selfish, Mike. Think of your coworkers and their families. You'll single-handedly infect them all. Go home NOW until you know the threat is gone, even if it's a few days.

:happy-smileygiantred:

The subs are great. I'm very impressed. I got them calibrated with Audyssey, and adjusted the "delay" on the closer sub until i had the smoothest response as per the RTA in REW. I listened to a good deal of music, both critically and casually, and watched some bass-heavy movie scenes. Ella even requested we watch the Alaska scene from Art of Flight :)

Onto the acoustic panels. I got the "242" panels from GIK acoustics. Unfortunately, 2 of them arrived with broken corners due to shipping, so they are shipping replacements. So i haven't hung them up, but i have leaned them all in their respective spots against the walls. The best way to describe the effect is that the imaging is way more precise. On songs where the voice comes from the center of the soundstage, it used to be fairly diffuse, as in, the voice appeared to be spread out over a ~3 feet width across the screen. Now, it seems like a point source, coming from right in the middle. The other thing i noticed is that it seems to have more "depth", as if my room is bigger. The last thing i noticed is that there is a lot less ringing and echo, and a few songs where i could hear sibilance (i think that's the correct term) at high volumes, it isn't as noticeable anymore.

YEAH!!!!

I love it when people discover the benefits of acoustic treatment for themselves!

Yes very nice and isn't it great when it all REALLY starts to come together!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Razz said:
What a kick ass little room you have!!!

:music-rockout:

Good to hear from you, Razz! But "little"? What kind of SoCal McMansions have you been hanging out in that a 17.5' x 31.5' theater is "little"? :teasing-tease: :teasing-neener:

DAMN!
I didn't notice it was that big! My bad!

That's like the size of my entire condo!!!!!

Back