• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Saldog's Basement Build Thread

^^ Starting and maintaining your own thread should keep you motivated!!! :teasing-tease:

Thanks Barb. Hopefully it all comes together and looks nice in the end.

And it's official, we watched our first movie in the basement (Wreck-It Ralph). Hooked up the projector, receiver, and speakers on Saturday, then enjoyed it that evening. Can't wait to get a sub and a real screen, but it was still quite fun as is. Even with the projector in ECO mode, and without any curtains/blocking on the windows, the screen was nice and bright.

Rear surround speakers, plus the chandelier over the "poker area" table.
20140719_220241.jpg

Back side of equipment closet
20140719_220138.jpg

Projector mounted, all 5 lbs of it
20140719_220121.jpg

Front of equipment "rack". It'll be behind a door, so i don't care how it looks.
20140719_220055.jpg

Mike, great progress!

Looks like the completion date is right around the corner....

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Thanks Keith. I can't wait until it's all complete. I am hopeful that by the end of August all major stuff with be done, besides the built-in media shelf/doors under the stairs.

For subs, not really. I'd say a pair of PSA XV15se's are at the top of my list right now, but that'll have to wait a few months until we have the funds for that. The $1700 shipped that a pair of them would cost is the absolute top of my sub budget. Any suggestions for what would perform better for less money? And i don't want to go DIY, unless it includes flat packs for the boxes.

For speakers, in the short term (i.e. after doors, door casings, and baseboards are done), i will bring my Studio 60s and Paradigm center down, and use those for the front, and use the little Polks as the surrounds. Long term (again, as cash flow dictates), i'd love some Mackie HR824MkIIs across the front, with HR624s for the 4 surrounds. All speaker locations are wired with pre-amp RCAs and have outlets.

Well Keith, you had just asked about speakers, and since i first replied, i changed my mind. I'm sticking with a Paradigm Studio setup. I will use my Studio60v3s as the front L&R, and I just bought some used speakers off Audiogon. I got a Studio CC-570v3 for the center, and a pair of Studio20v5s for the side surrounds. I'll now just have to keep my eyes open for a pair of Studio10s for the rear surrounds and I'll be set.

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

You are gonna post some "lights on" pics, right? ;)

I'll try to get pictures today or tomorrow. All doors are hung. Now i need to finish making jamb extensions (the downside of adding the layer of OSB behind the drywall), then we can finish casing the doors, followed by baseboards. Then a bit more painting. Then door handles. Progress in August is going to slow, however, since we're out of town most of this week, and I'll be in Calgary the week of Aug 18.

The only picture i have from this weekend, testing out the new Studio20s after a long day's work:

20140802_203701.jpg

Set up as pictured (very temporary, not exactly ideal listening conditions), they seem very similar to my 60v3s. Once the door trim and baseboards in the theater area are in and painted, i'll bring everything down and listen better.

Not much to share, as we were out of town last week. I'll take pictures this weekend to show the doors in, etc.

In the meantime, here are the updated diagrams. I just have placeholders in for the subs (right now they're dimensioned as 2x PSA XV15s lying on their sides).

Whole basement
basement%2BPlan%2Bdimd%2Bv06.jpg

Theater plan
HT%2BPlan%2Bdimd%2Bv06.jpg

Side view
Home%2BTheater%2BDesign%2B-%2Bsideview%2Bdimd%2Bv06.jpg

Theater wall front view
Home%2BTheater%2BDesign%2B-%2Bfrontview%2Bdimd%2Bv06.jpg

^ Agreed....I'd love to have and know how to use such a program. I'd never stick to the plan though. Part of the fun, for me, is "winging it."

Back