• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Saldog's Basement Build Thread

I'm such an engineer, that part of the fun for me was planning everything out. It's a program called Microsoft Visio. I have it at work, but also have a personal copy. I'm glad i never took the time to teach myself Google Sketchup, because then i'd end up wasting time by modeling the room in 3D!

Visio looks like it has come a long way...........used it back in the 90's to do flow charts and process diagrams.

hihihi! i used to use visio for flowcharting,

funny you mentioned that, first thing i thought was it was vizio, like the tv... but saw visio and flowcharting and along comes college flowcharting 101!!!

im definitely going to check the pictures out when i get home.

We had someone come in and do the stair handrail and the balusters.
20140817_194457.jpg

20140817_194514.jpg

20140817_194526.jpg

I finished all the door casings, and have moved on to baseboards.
20140817_194545.jpg

20140817_194608.jpg

Put molding around the access panel under the stairs.
20140817_194623.jpg

I leave for a business trip to Calgary tomorrow, so there won't be any progress this week. Hopefully this weekend I can finish baseboards. Then it'll be a lot of caulking, priming, and painting.

Well, once i finished the baseboards in the theater room, i decided it was about time the speakers found their new homes. I still have some small pieces of baseboard left to do in the two back rooms, but that task is nearing completion.

20140824_220037.jpg

Studio 20 on a temporary stand. It will end up on shelf up high.
20140824_220050.jpg

Left side Studio20 in wall recess.
20140824_220101.jpg

Put molding around the division between black/white ceiling.
20140824_220230.jpg

Well, i'll need to take pictures later this week. I finished baseboards, although now i have to go back and caulk them, then touch-up paint them and the door casings. I built the speaker shelf for the R side surround Studio20. Yesterday we started staining all the wood trim. Wow does that make a difference! Really warms the place up. Hopefully we'll be done staining today and we can apply the polyurethane tomorrow.

I haven't had a chance to check this in a while. WOOOOOOWWWW!! That looks good!!

On the sub front, I still believe that putting the same money in one sub is better than putting it into two, ESPECIALLY if they're going to be co-located. I think a PB-13U is a little more than that pair, or that's what I would recommend.

John

saldog said:
Put molding around the division between black/white ceiling.
20140824_220230.jpg

That picture reminds me of one of those illusion pictures where the same line appears to be along 2 dimensions at once. The piece of molding on the ceiling appears to be flat on the ceiling, near the right side, and flat on the wall immediately next to the piece on the wall.

John

Wow! Good eyes, John. I missed that the first time I saw this photo but I'm totally seeing it now.

Ha. It actually looks a lot better now that it's stained. We will be putting poly on any wood that people can touch, but we were debating on whether or not to poly the trim on the ceiling, for fear of making it shinier and having more reflection. Thoughts? The wood is red oak. Does it need poly to protect it from humidity, etc?

Don't worry, when the budget allows, i'll definitely be making a thread in the subwoofer section to collect opinions.

The oak shouldn't NEED protection. That's pretty expensive wood to use for trim so it's be a shame to paint it.

saldog said:
Ha. It actually looks a lot better now that it's stained. We will be putting poly on any wood that people can touch, but we were debating on whether or not to poly the trim on the ceiling, for fear of making it shinier and having more reflection. Thoughts? The wood is red oak. Does it need poly to protect it from humidity, etc?

Don't worry, when the budget allows, i'll definitely be making a thread in the subwoofer section to collect opinions.

Oil it!!

With this:

0c5ef8ee-7e3e-4e4d-b067-ec69ff80295d_400.jpg

saldog said:
We will be putting poly on any wood that people can touch, but we were debating on whether or not to poly the trim on the ceiling, for fear of making it shinier and having more reflection. Thoughts? The wood is red oak. Does it need poly to protect it from humidity, etc?
I would. Wood that's stained but not topcoated attracts dust easily, even if its never touched. Go with a flat polyurethane and you won't have reflections. Oil will work fine too but is a little more effort.

Zing said:
Wow! Good eyes, John. I missed that the first time I saw this photo but I'm totally seeing it now.

I noticed that right off the bat. I had to really look closely to try and figure it out.

Well, visually not much happened this weekend, but functionally it was huge. I figured out the water problem. We had noticed water (a couple weeks ago now) in the area noted by the large blue oval, so i removed a single Dricore panel in the theater area against the wall, and i gutted the flooring in the craft room closet. It's been dry for the past few weeks, but then it rained all day Saturday. Didn't see any water in the basement, but i did go outside along that wall to check for issues while it was raining hard. I figured out that the gutter along that wall was clogged, and all the water from that quarter of the roof was basically overflowing at 1 point right next to the foundation, where i put the small blue oval. The water must've been coming from that and following the blue path i drew. To temporarily fix it, i placed a 4' x 4' piece of OSB and leaned it against the wall right where the gutter's waterfall was, so at least the water would be directed out ~2'.

Then on Sunday, i got up on the roof and cleaned out the entire gutter, flushed it all out, and i highly doubt we'll have an issue again. Most of the issue was a giant holly tree we have at that corner of the house, so i chopped the top of it off so none of it is above the roof at all. I do still have to put some dirt around the foundation in that area to create a proper grade away from the house.

So we'll leave the craft closet without a floor for a little while, to ensure we don't see water again, but when we feel comfortable, we'll buy 8 new Dricore squares and put flooring in (luckily we have enough extra of the laminate).

Only other thing i did this weekend was borrow my co-worker's router and round off the edge of the riser to protect the carpet that will eventually be wrapped around the lip.

wet%2Bbasement%2Bsource.jpg

that's good news! i heard that you figured it out. It also reminds me that I have to clean my gutters on the front of the house :)

Back