• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

SONY: BDP-570? BDP770? or the PS3 (160GB)?

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Ok, I have a chance to get one of these for free from my work. I've scanned through Pauly's 570 thread, but haven't gotten all the details (issues with his Onkyo pre/pro).

I think I would like the ability to stream from Netflix and 3D might be nice (I know I also need a 3D TV), but this will mainly be for Bluray playback. I do like the bonus of playing games with the PS3, but none of them seem to be equal. What are the pros/cons of each of these players? Which would you choose and why? Thanks.

The 570 and 770 are 99% identical, only differing by some small details in sony bravia inter-component communication, I think.

But yeah, if you're getting your choice, go for the PS3. The only disadvantage there for HT use is that you need to use the PS3 remote, or buy the adapter for an IR remote.

Note that the new PS3 doesn't do SACD, but the 570/770 does.

Oh, and the streaming interface for hulu/netflix/etc. is MUCH better on the PS3. Plus you can only get DD5.1 on the PS3, when netflix streaming has it available at all.

I see a lot of recommendations for the PS3 (which I'm leaning towards), but aren't there some models that are better than others? This is the one I can get (sorry for the pic quality).

IMAG0122.jpg

It's the 160GB model and it looks like the old style to me and not the Slim version that the Move accessories can be added to later. How is this one different from the other PS3s?

Looking back, there is no option for the 770, so I guess (as far as standalone players go) the 570 is the best of the lot, right?

Oh, just thought I would mention, I could also get the Harmony One. That's tempting, but I think a BD player would be more fitting to be honest. The Denon 3311 is also on the list, but I don't have enough award points for that one (damn it!).

If that model PS3 is what I should get, which style remote should I look for? I may have enough points left over to get one if it's available.

That pic is of one of the newer "slim" models, which are supposedly somewhat quieter (they've been around for about a year). In fact, this might be the newest "base" model PS3 (which used to be 120GB, but now I think is 160GB). It probably won't come with anything other than the console and one controller, but that's pretty typical for all consoles these days.

You can always buy an extra controller, or buy a "Move" controller if you want later on.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the currently selling PS3s are capable of the same stuff (the only differences being either larger hard drive sizes and/or whether the "Move" accessroies are included or not.) It was only during the first couple of years of the PS3 where features varied by model (i.e. - SACD which none do anymore, PS2 compatibility which none do anymore).

Yeah, that's a slim. There's little or no difference between the slims aside from internal HD size, I believe.

:text-link:

Yesfan70 said:
If that model PS3 is what I should get, which style remote should I look for? I may have enough points left over to get one if it's available.

I'd consider not using a remote control, myself. Just use the game controller.

I've had a PS3 for a few years by now and, it's taken me a while to reach this point, but after years of using an IR adapter (Nyko Bluwave) to make my MX500 remote work with the PS3, I've decided to unplug it and have just been using the game controller, instead. The problem with any of the various IR adapters is that they all attach to the USB port in the front. And, regardless of which USB port is used, I've found that the PS3 will assign "game port 1" to the IR adapter (in that it thinks it's a game controller). Thus, the actual game controller usually gets assigned to "game port 2". But some video games require the player to use "game port 1". There is a workaround, as all you need to do is go into the PS3 menu and reassign the controller to "game port 1", but it has to be done each and every time the PS3 is restarted---at least on my old 60GB model.

My above "threadcrap" aside...

I will admit that the Nyko BluWave IR-adapter worked pretty good for me otherwise. I recommend it if you go the IR-adapter route. Of course, you'll still have the limitation of not being able to turn the machine on with the remote. But it's still kinda nice.

Another option is that Harmony sells a special "PS3 Bluetooth Adapter" that restores "power on" capabilities, but the catch is that it only works with Harmony remotes. The other catch being that the adapter is kind of spendy. But that might be the most elegant solution.

On the recommendation of forum members I used a Schmartz PS3IR-X1 which I bought for $30. It will let you use a universal IR remote with the PS3. Just program your remote for PS2 and you're all set. You don't get the ability to turn on the PS3 remotely though but I never found that to be a problem.

http://www.schmartz.com/PS3IRX1-Infrare ... 2KLAPA.htm

So basically, going by the info here and in Pauly's link, the only downside is having to get off the couch to turn the PS3 on? I think I can live with that. ;)

In the link, I saw where there will be updates for 3D games and then 3D movies. The Harmony PS3 adapter, I might look into as I would like to have a One some day. That's a moot point though if the Schmartz can do the same thing (let the One control the PS3).

Are there any accessories that you all think are "must haves" for PS3 owners? I'm hoping I have enough points to maybe add an accessory or two, so thought I would ask. I might try to order this thing tomorrow if I have time.

Guys, I really, really appreciate all the help and suggestions. Thanks. :handgestures-thumbup:

The game controller can also be used to turn the PS3 on, so still no need to get up unless you really want the exercise. ;)

Oh... and Sony not too long ago updated the firmware to play 3D movies and 3D games. So it's already there. I've never tried it, though, since I don't have a 3DTV. One downside about the PS3 and 3D movies, though, if I'm not mistaken. I thought I read where it can only do regular Dolby Digital and regular DTS for audio when watching a 3D movie. So no TrueHD or DTS-HD audio except for with regular 2D.

Recommended accessories? I don't know about that. Maybe a second game controller?

That said... I'll recommend a game for you: "Zen Pinball". Paid ten bucks, but never regretted it. A fairly easy to understand and entertaining, yet challenging game for someone like me who can't quite get a handle on the more complex games out there these days. Loved the "V12" table. Used to play it a lot and I'm still currently ranked 285th all-time (not all that great, but not bad considering I suck at most games). But I don't play it much these days and my skills have really diminished and now I really suck at it again. [Edit: There's a free playable demo of Zen Pinball you can always try out first.]

I would definitely get the PS3. It is the second best up-scaling DVD player on the market after the Oppo and does a fantastic job. It's an excellent BD player. It works well as a DLNA client for streaming music, video and photos from your computer. I run a DLNA server on my PC that transcodes my WMA Lossless music to uncompressed PCM, which gives me bit-perfect playback on the PS3. I've also had good results streaming 720p downloads and DVD material ripped to MPEG-2. The Netflix, Hulu Plus and Vudu interfaces are simply excellent. The newer slim models are extremely quiet. Oh yeah, and they also play games. :)

As for the controller, Sony makes a very nice Blue Tooth remote control for the PS3 that is a lot more intuitive to use than the game controller. Harmony makes what is reputed to be an excellent PS3 interface box for its remotes as well, but I haven't tried on yet.

Yesfan70 said:
So basically, going by the info here and in Pauly's link, the only downside is having to get off the couch to turn the PS3 on? I think I can live with that. ;)

In the link, I saw where there will be updates for 3D games and then 3D movies. The Harmony PS3 adapter, I might look into as I would like to have a One some day. That's a moot point though if the Schmartz can do the same thing (let the One control the PS3).

Are there any accessories that you all think are "must haves" for PS3 owners? I'm hoping I have enough points to maybe add an accessory or two, so thought I would ask. I might try to order this thing tomorrow if I have time.

Guys, I really, really appreciate all the help and suggestions. Thanks. :handgestures-thumbup:

I would definitely recommend the Blue-Tooth remote for DVD/BD playback and other general media purposes. It is a LOT more intuitive than the controller and it very well laid out.

Most games are single player, so an extra game controller won't see much use.

I'll look for that remote when I get to work. Is there a particular one to look for, or is there only one style available?

I did get a second controller, as there are a number of kids games (Lego series stuff, Little Big Planet) that allow two players. My 7yo daughter and I have a lot of fun playing these together. Even my 4yo can do some basic moves, she likes to run the characters around a bit.

I have not gotten any HT-type remote yet, been holding out because I still sorta want a standalone BD/SACD player, as my PS3 is an older louder model.

Just placed an order for it. Ship date says Dec 27th, so hopefully that's when it will get here. I'll be off until the 4th.

I think I'm going to go to Amazon for the extra controller and remote. They didn't seem to be that expensive and plus I can save my work points for something else on down the road.

Thanks guys for all your help! I'm finally got on the Bluray bus! LOL!

Yesfan70 said:
I'm finally got on the Bluray bus! LOL!
I thought you have been for couple years. :eek:

Warning, wrinkles on some actor's and actress' face can make you cringe.

Back