• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony BDP-S570

PaulyT said:
Rob, is that CEC control a player setting? My 885 does have some "hdmi control" features in the setup menu, but they're all off...

Yes. It's in the setup menu under HDMI, I believe. Hopefully that helps, but all that feature should do is allow the player and TV to control each other (power on, set input, TV's remote operate player).

John

Oh there it is, duh - system settings, control for hdmi. Turned that off (it was on before), but unfortunately no change.

PaulyT said:
It appears, from what I can tell on my processor (Onkyo 885) that it won't sync up the HDMI connection unless the TV is on. Argh, this is one of the reasons I got a standalone player, to listen to music with a quieter component than my noisy old-model PS3.

I planned on adding a small HDMI monitor to the 885's second HDMI output for this exact reason.

Yeah, that thought occurred to me, which would be reasonable if you have a projector you don't want to put wear&tear on by turning off/on, and/or your gear rack is not near the screen. But for me, with my gear right under my generic LCD tv, it'd be a little overkill to have a separate screen just for this. Turning on the TV isn't that big a deal... but like I said, this is now becoming an obsession. Well, and also the front display on the 570 doesn't even show the track number when playing an SACD, just the time elapsed. So really it's kinda silly as a standalone SACD player without the TV.

Ok, I lied, there is some fan noise. After playing a BD video for a while, if I pause and go near the player I can hear some definite fan hum now. Not terribly loud, but it is present.

PaulyT said:
Ok, I lied, there is some fan noise. After playing a BD video for a while, if I pause and go near the player I can hear some definite fan hum now. Not terribly loud, but it is present.
What about sound absorbing material at the back of it? I've heard about this method for computer fan noise.

Yeah, I could easily build some sort of a little shell out of leftover OC703 or something... Well, I'll do that if/when I have a player I'm sure I'm gonna keep.

PaulyT said:
...I'm pretty sure it's not just the 885, because I could use my older hdmi dvd/cd player (actually also a Sony) to play music without the TV, so seems it's something to do with the hdmi handshake on the player...

Does the 570 required the screen to on be for regular CD playback? I've done a lot of systems which use the BD player for CD playback (many with Sony players) and I haven't had that issue.

As an aside, if the disc is already in the player when you want to listen, playing any audio disc on any BD player I've seen is a PITA w/o the display because of the menu navigation required. If the disc is inserted anew, the player will start it and all is well, though. This is one of the reasons I recommend people have a dedicated CD player instead of using a BD player for CDs. (Of course your situation is different than the average Joe's.)

John

yromj said:
PaulyT said:
...I'm pretty sure it's not just the 885, because I could use my older hdmi dvd/cd player (actually also a Sony) to play music without the TV, so seems it's something to do with the hdmi handshake on the player...

Does the 570 required the screen to on be for regular CD playback? I've done a lot of systems which use the BD player for CD playback (many with Sony players) and I haven't had that issue.

As an aside, if the disc is already in the player when you want to listen, playing any audio disc on any BD player I've seen is a PITA w/o the display because of the menu navigation required. If the disc is inserted anew, the player will start it and all is well, though. This is one of the reasons I recommend people have a dedicated CD player instead of using a BD player for CDs. (Of course your situation is different than the average Joe's.)

John

I'm pretty sure I tried the cd, and you did not need the tv on. I kind of feel like a snob saying this, but I couldn't imagine having to change cd's out anymore. Media servers have made this so much easier.
Rob

Well, I hate to tell you this Pauly, but my Dark Side of the Moon SACD plays just fine with the tv off, on either the dsd mode or dsd converted to pcm. I'm not sure if there is a setting your missing, or it's an issue with the tv and receiver.

As far as 5.1, give it time. From my understanding, the gui on the ps3 and these units are very similar, so we we should have 5.1 soon. I don't stream much, so it's not a big deal either way to me. Hope you get your problems figured out. I've been very happy with this player.
Rob

Rob, did you start by turning on only the receiver/prepro (what do you have? I forget) and the 570? Because it works okay if I start everything up with the TV on, then turn off the tv - the sacd will continue playing. But if the TV is never on at all, it doesn't work.

Yeah, I agree, no more CD changes ever. But until SACDs can be served by squeezebox, one needs a player for those...

Paul, I had been listening to the squeezebox, and just changed to the bluray input on the yamaha receiver. Tv was off at that time. I did turn the tv, just to see if anything would change, and minus the hdmi hanshake loss of sound for 2 seconds, everything else was the same. Try unplugging the output of the receiver and see if that makes a difference.
Rob

Ok, I can try that, though of course that's not exactly a practical workaround. ;) What's the firmware version on your 570? Mine's the latest, M04.R.708.

PaulyT said:
Ok, I can try that, though of course that's not exactly a practical workaround. ;) What's the firmware version on your 570? Mine's the latest, M04.R.708.

I have it set to look for new updates everytime I turn it on, so I'm assuming I have the most current update. I hope you can get this figured out.
Rob

Pauly,
I'm having some trouble with my LG... I haven't set up the Netflix yet because I'm still trying to get around my initial problems. I think there is a hardware problem and I'm going to need to return it... The Sony was second on my list. :?

Hey Pauly, someone answered your question over at AVS that your receiver has a firmware update to be able to play disks with the tv off. Not sure if you are following the thread still, but would imagine this would help with all bluray players.
Rob

Thanks! Ok, now I gotta figure out how to do a firmware update on the 885...

I did send both the 570 and the 770 back. Not just because of this one thing, it's just that neither were better right now for what I wanted than the PS3. I lied earlier though, turns out I can't play CD with TV off with my old HDMI DVD player either... The weird thing is that it works ok if I unplug the HDMI cable to the TV - again even with the TV off! Bizarre. And then I tried moving the DVD from HDMI3 to HDMI1 on the back of the 885 and changing the input in the setup, and I couldn't get it to work at all. Ugh. Clearly there are some HDMI handshake/software issues going on here, the onkyos have always been a bit flaky in that regard in my experience.

I will be very interested to see if a firmware update in the 885 changes anything.

I've never updated my 885 and have no problem playing CDs with the TV off (I've used two different Samsung BD players). I did turn-off the CEC function of the players.. That might have something to do with it.

AFAIK I've turned off any HDMI control features on the player (and the 885)...

I don't remember if you ever solved this problem Paul (this thread didn't indicate anything) but I just ran across this tidbit from the Oppo user's site:

Why won't my Oppo play back a CD when the TV is turned off?

OPPO says:

This is likely related to your receiver not supporting HDMI repeating functionality. If the television is off the receiver is not handshaking HDCP, which will cause the player to completely disengage HDMI output.

In such situations you will either need to turn on the television, or completely remove the HDMI cable from the back of the receiver to the television, or use digital coaxial or optical for CD-Audio playback.

So what was the final resolution? Did you do the firmware update?

Back