• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony BDP-S570

No, I didn't do the firmware update, and returned the 570 (and the 770). It wasn't just because of this particular issue, though that was a big part of it. Yeah, as your quote indicated, I could do it if I unplugged the HDMI cable to the TV. Unfortunately, that does seem to mean that even if I were to get an Oppo or something, I'd likely have the same issue with SACD playback.

I woulda said it means you get to buy a new receiver! :banana-dance: :D

Ha! I wish. Well, with the trouble the various Onkyos have given me with HDMI (the 606 receiver and now thie 885 pre/pro), I think it likely that my next processor upgrade will NOT be an Onkyo. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of other choices in pre/pro's in this lower price range, AFAIK.

1291407503.jpg

:text-link:

Rope

Damn, if only I had a few $k lying around for that Marantz (that's a hell of a deal it seems, Rope!) and an Oppo 93, I'd be set for life. Or at least a few years. Well probably several months at least! ... :eek:

For a piece with those features and a $2600.00 MSRP, that's the lowest offer I've seen. Being a dealer with perhaps cash flow problems, I'd be tempted to low ball him and offer $950.00

Rope

A good friend of mine has that Marantz, it works beautifully but gets HOT :violence-torch:

D

PaulyT said:
Damn, if only I had a few $k lying around for that Marantz (that's a hell of a deal it seems, Rope!) and an Oppo 93, I'd be set for life. Or at least a few years. Well probably several months at least! ... :eek:

Well save your pennies and by the time Outlaw has the 998 out you probably will have enough money saved.

And didn't really look into details but Outlaw has this Marantz AV7005 for $1500

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/av7005.html

Doghart said:
A good friend of mine has that Marantz, it works beautifully but gets HOT :violence-torch:

D

That seems unusual. None of my Marantz stuff, or my brother's, gets anywhere near as hot as my Yamaha.

DIYer said:
How many people here own Sony BDP-S570 now?

Technically I own the BDP-S570 which is on a truck for delivery this week. I don't know when I'll get it installed, but I hope to have it up and running before I return to work on Monday.

My 570 arrived yesterday and I immediately hooked it up. Setup took about 10 minutes and was a breeze as it clearly recognized my TV and the "auto" mode setup all the video and audio settings. The only manual setting I had to make was to tell it to send DSD out the HDMI port for SACDs. It discovered the internet without issues and asked me if I wanted to setup any streaming services (which I didn't).

I watched the Blu Ray release of "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" and it was splendid. Every aspect I expected to enjoy I did, and the player was virtually silent. When standing next to it when I paused the disc for a minute revealed a very slight whistling of the fan and the spinning of the disc. It was dreamy!

I am very happy with this player, especially given my wife paid merely $120 on Amazon to get it. This is what I'm talking about!!!

Huh, the 570 I tried briefly I thought made a fair bit of noise after playing for a while; not as much as my old PS3 in full gear, but still noticeable.

Flint, don't you have an Onkyo/Integra pre/pro? Can you do SACD without the TV on (I mean, starting with all power off, and never turning on the TV at all)? I'm very curious...

Pauly, you mean there's a chance you may buy it back? :?

In their manual, setting quick start "on" will use fan more. Is that what you had?

No, I'm not getting it back, my need for it isn't all that critical right now, and I'm kinda holding out for a deal on a used Oppo 80 or something. I'm just curious whether Flint's system has the same SACD-only playback issues. And no, I wasn't using the quick start mode. When the unit was first powered on and started playing, it was very quiet. It was only after an hour or two of playback that I noticed the fan noise being more prominent.

I spent an hour programming my Pronto to operate the Sony BDP-S570 and made some changes to the interface based on how we are currently using the HT. What a breeze! This is turning out to be the easiest upgrade I have ever performed on my rig.

Flint, does your Pronto have the codes for the 15 seconds forward and 10 seconds back buttons on the remote? If not learn them and you'll thank me later. I use those instead of the typical FF and REW. When someone asks, "What did he say?" simply hit the 10 seconds back and voila! Also, I learned the "Time" command as it changes the "Info" display from elapsed time to remaining time.

John

Back